Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 04:26 PM

20 posts, read 46,208 times

Advertisements

No specific questions but if you have tips on ensuring on getting in and excelling in the East Cobb G&T programs, that would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Georgia Public Policy Commission used to do a great ranking, but for some reason, they haven't done one in the last three years -- the latest one is 2010, so it's getting to be out of date.

If you've already identified several schools you're interested in, then go to the Georgia Department of Education, check the College and Career Ready Performance Index, start looking at hard numbers, and see which ones are in your comfort level:

GADOE CCRPI 6

It doesn't "rank" them, per se, but it does give you a comprehensive look at how the schools do on multiple standards.

Let's face it, the "best" school for your child may not be the "best" school for someone else's child. I'd say that if you had access to any of the top 10 high school feeder systems, you'd be in good shape. It's possible to get too caught up in the numbers -- no school is "perfect".
Very useful. Thanks dblackga.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
SchoolDigger -- eh. I don't know anyone that pays a lot of attention to that. And the fact that SchoolDigger says that Northview doesn't have EOCT tests (End of Class Tests) is just absolutely WRONG. All public schools in Georgia are required to administer End of Class Tests for 10 classes (4 math, and two each in social studies, English and science.)

And frankly, any list that misses Walton AND Northview is also pretty suspect in my book. It may be something as simple as they didn't bother to turn in paperwork, or something like that. The US News tends to go strictly by test scores, etc., so it's no wonder that the "highest" scores on the US News are also the "private public" schools that students must qualify for, apply for and be accepted for.

I'd say that the SAT score list is somewhat reflective of socio-economic standards. Forsyth is near the top, if not THE top, of the list as far as income, etc. -- these are not families that are going to let their kids slack off in school and demand school excellence. The bottom performing are also near the bottom in terms of income, schooling, etc. Also -- look at the top performing schools on the SAT list -- why, there's Walton, Northview, Johns Creek, Milton, Alpharetta . . . etc., etc. The top two, again, are the "private public" schools.
I have found Schooldigger to be VERY reliable. I cannot explain the absence of some schools (and entire districts) from their rankings, but their data is the most current of all sites I'm familiar with and the rankings that I have seen are dead-on accurate IMO.

For one thing, SD applies a curve for schools that have unique circumstances -- in other words, they weigh schools that have high minority or poverty rates against schools that don't and adjust them accordingly. There's really no fairer way to compare schools IMO.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:22 AM

550 posts, read 989,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrog View Post
No specific questions but if you have tips on ensuring on getting in and excelling in the East Cobb G&T programs, that would be helpful.
I would go to the cobbk12 district site and look up the contact info. for the gifted dept. and e-mail them to get the ball rolling. (FYI they call it Target here) I would let the district contact know what testing you have already, and if it is not sufficient for a gifted ID here, I would pursue private testing NOW, before you move. This is even more crucial in middle school b/c you don't want them to have to switch classes after they start, but to already be appropriately placed. If you need info on a good private tester experienced with gifted kids see the Hoagies web site. I would also like the Hoagies facebook page and ask for testers in your area. I would want the WISC and achievement testing done. added: just looked at chart and possibly you can save your money and you don't need a WISC but just achievement data. Again, I would ask district. Keep in mind that they don't seem eager to consider private testing, and they might encourage you to wait until you get here and let the schools do it, but again, I wouldn't want my kid to have to switch classes after starting. Our situation was different because my daughter was still in 5th grade when we moved.

CCSD Gifted Learner Services - Curriculum and Instruction

In middle school they call the classes "Advanced Content" shortened to AC.
Here is the matrix for placement for Dodgen (I assume it is same/similar for Dickerson):
http://www.cobbk12.org/dodgen/ACPlacement13.pdf

math placement info:
http://www.cobbk12.org/dodgen/MthPlcmtCrit1314.pdf

I would strongly encourage you to add Dodgen to the schools you are considering. On recent standardized tests Dodgen has outperformed Dickerson in some sub-tests, and they are always within a few percentage points of each other regardless. Dickerson is a very good school but NOT superior to Dodgen in academics. My daughter loved her 7th grade AC teachers, and most of her 8th grade AC teachers. FWIW, a mom I know who lives in East Hampton (only neighborhood that goes to Dodgen from Mt. Bethel and not Dickerson, so she has many friends with kids at Dickerson) that her impression from Dickerson parents is that the administration is not as accessible or responsive, and that Dodgen seems much more caring and nurturing. I think you can't go wrong with either school. But I would not eliminate Dodgen from your search.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:38 PM

Thanks deacongirl.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:35 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I have found Schooldigger to be VERY reliable. I cannot explain the absence of some schools (and entire districts) from their rankings, but their data is the most current of all sites I'm familiar with and the rankings that I have seen are dead-on accurate IMO.

For one thing, SD applies a curve for schools that have unique circumstances -- in other words, they weigh schools that have high minority or poverty rates against schools that don't and adjust them accordingly. There's really no fairer way to compare schools IMO.

I'm sorry, but how reliable can it be if it completely leaves off some of the top schools in Georgia? That's just sloppy, and it brings their entire database into question.

What I'm hearing you say is that if a school is performing below other schools, SchoolDigger takes a look at it's minority/poverty rate and "adjusts" it -- how is that "fair"? It seems like it would give a distorted view of the school's performance, especially to parents of potential students who are on the hunt for high-performing schools.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:51 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
Aries is the resident expert on all things school related in the Atlanta area. This same discussion has been had many times on this forum, would do some searching for past school threads.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:15 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Aries is the resident expert on all things school related in the Atlanta area. This same discussion has been had many times on this forum, would do some searching for past school threads.

Nah, Brother Marks--I think lastminutemom is the resident expert.

I help when I can.

But yes, you're right--the topic in this thread has been discussed a million times...just do a search. Geez.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but how reliable can it be if it completely leaves off some of the top schools in Georgia? That's just sloppy, and it brings their entire database into question.

What I'm hearing you say is that if a school is performing below other schools, SchoolDigger takes a look at it's minority/poverty rate and "adjusts" it -- how is that "fair"? It seems like it would give a distorted view of the school's performance, especially to parents of potential students who are on the hunt for high-performing schools.
No site is fully complete or totally accurate, but Schooldigger is the most complete I've seen. The depth of their analysis is impressive, and their data is very current.

As for "weighing results" -- it is a well known fact among people who follow these types of things that school-to-school comparisons are often quite misleading because the results don't consider certain circumstances. The best example is the list of Georgia's top public high schools, which is always dominated by MAGNET schools -- which anybody who knows anything understands as total BS! Of course magnet schools are going to rank high -- like private schools, they only take the best students!

But a general interest public school that enrolls a higher minority or poverty student population, or is in an isolated rural area, yet still tests well, is obviously doing something right and deserves recognition. And this is where Schooldigger earns credibility, IMO. However, it's not an across-the-board assessment. Schooldigger ranks many minority / poverty / rural schools very low. Clayton County, for example, gets no favors from them whatsoever -- as it should be. Clayton schools are horrible. But they recognize that even in districts like Atlanta and DeKalb, which don't have the best reputations, there are some very good schools! See how that works?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:33 AM

38 posts, read 48,374 times
Balrog,
Thanks for your feedback from your recent trip !

For just the SAT scores for 2013.
http://www.gadoe.org/Curriculum-Inst...y%20School.pdf

I think its important to also see how many students took the test, whether it be SAT, or AP, or IB....
If the scores for 2 schools are the same then I'll tend to pick the school that had a higher participation. With a low student base the swings tend to be greater.

Also the newsweek list has been scorned upon by many, but the point is no list is perfect. I would suggest take the schools that you are interested in and then make a compilation of the data from all the lists that are available. If 3 out of 4 lists rank it good, then its safe to assume that its good. Schools like Walton and Northview are going to be good in any list (unless, they are not ranked in the list, lol)

I did a spreadsheet for the same and you can compare your NJ schools around you in each list to see if the list portrayed them accurately. You will get a good feeling about each list then.

Last edited by desifamily23; 01-20-2014 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta