Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,628,959 times

Advertisements

The same reason you do not see any NY Style chitterlings, Chicago collard greens, Seattle pig feet, Texas style black eyed peas, Philly sweet potato pie, San Fran banana pudding, Italian red velvet cake, South American turnip greens, etc

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 01-20-2014 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 11:00 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,234,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Atlanta style pizza: pizza topped fried chicken and mac-n-chz.
This.

Jack's Pizza and Wings is "Atlanta" style pizza. (pictures added for hunger effect)
Chicken and mashed potato w/ gravy pizza.
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jacks...eM1OhWoEDIj8lw

Mac and cheese pizza w/ bacon.
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jacks...00nxxKTJ11_czg

My favorite - Chili Cheese Dog pizza
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jacks...F5AcT6wbiiTEDg.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by tikigod311; 01-20-2014 at 11:27 AM..

Old 01-20-2014, 11:19 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,221 times
because hordes of Italians didn't settle here?

Old 01-20-2014, 11:27 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
We did have pizza here in the 'old days'. Gino's, Gigi's, Candlelight Pizza; my personal fave was Caruso's on Piedmont Road. Excellent!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:28 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
I would say Fellini's and Mellow Mushroom define Atlanta style pizza.

Both are excellent!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:51 PM

759 posts, read 1,355,892 times
My mother was born in Atlanta in 1931. She told me she had never seen or had pizza until she moved to Baltimore for her pediatrics residency in 1958. And yes, she liked pizza. (She also told me Baltimore was the first place she had been where you could buy liquor on Sundays, and the first place she was ever propositioned by a black man-how times have changed!)
When we moved back to Atlanta in 1969, the only place in Sandy Springs that had pizza was a young "hippie" couple that sold pizza from the back of their house on Johnson Ferry Road, just East of Roswell Rd., kinda behind where the Church's Chicken used to be-those houses were torn down a long time ago to make way for a strip mall. I think Bella's/Back-a Bella's Pizza opened a few years later, and there was a Pizza King/Pizza Ring franchise that operated for a short time on Roswell Rd. where the Steak 'n' Egg Kitchen used to be.
The only sort of long-time ago pizza joints I remember were Everybody's, Pizza by Candlelight, and MJ Pippin's, both Emory and Buckhead locations.
I do remember when Mellow Mushroom was just starting out, and the owners (who I believe at the time were still Tech students) used to hock slices to motorists stuck in traffic in mid-town.
Atlanta has just never been a Pizza-central location.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:39 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i'm thinking... not really (unless the style served at mellow mushroom, savage pizza and other local chains is somehow different from pizza chains elsewhere).

the buckhead pizza company claims to serve an "atlanta style pizza" but it seems more of a gimmick than anything else— from what i understand they are like the california pizza kitchen; more "gourmet" and experimental than trend-setting. jagger's used to serve a thick square cut pizza but it seems more like what they call "detroit pizza" than anything notably atlantan.

am i missing something?
Atlanta would probably have an easier time coming up with a sandwich. They are very popular here.

If there were a pizza, I'm sure it would involve chicken which is also very popular here. Mellow Mushroom seems to have a cult type following with it's light dusting of corn meal.

Since you brought it up though, I realize I don't associate any dishes with Georgia. I'd think at least peach cobbler would be a specialty, but I mostly think of pecans because of Jimmy Carter no doubt.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Because we are a soul food city and real southerners do not care that much about pizza, generally.
Oh, Lord... my very southern children care about pizza deeply. I swear that we could do away with all food but pizza and they would be happy as clams.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I'd think at least peach cobbler would be a specialty, but I mostly think of pecans because of Jimmy Carter no doubt.
A good pecan pie? Now, that's southern! Although my Texan wife claims that Texas pecan pies are better than Georgia pecan pies. But, she would claim that Texas poop is better than anyone else's poop, too...

Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,215,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansleypark View Post
a good pecan pie? Now, that's southern! Although my texan wife claims that texas pecan pies are better than georgia pecan pies. But, she would claim that texas poop is better than anyone else's poop, too...
lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta