Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:57 AM

687 posts, read 744,871 times

Advertisements

This is awesome....Now we just need more bike lanes so people feel safe whizzing around town on these!

Bike share program coming to Atlanta - Reporter Newspapers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 07:58 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Great news.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:08 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,830 times
Great news! Now, I hope enough people use them to see higher densities of bikes on our streets, illustrating the need to quickly install bike lanes and other bicycle infrastructure.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:08 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Excellent. The more bikes on the road, the safer it will be for all cyclists.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Awesome! Can't wait to hear more details and see these on the streets! I used them in Chicago last time I was up there and is was great.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:18 AM

I was living in London when they launched the bike share scheme there in the summer of 2010, I remember people being excited but slightly dubious and pessimistic about how the scheme would work ("All the bikes will be stolen in the first month") and wondering would anyone actually use them once the novelty wears off.

In July last year on the 3rd anniversary of London's scheme the total amount of rides was over 22 million and there are now 8,700 bikes in operation!

A more impressive stat (and one that I hope continues with the launch here in the A) is that 49% of users said that using the bike scheme had prompted them to start cycling around the city more often.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Implementing the stations in key corridors will lead to its success.
Major business districts
areas with high residential density
college campuses
transit stations
tourist attractions
BeltLine
In other words, stations need to placed where people feel safe riding bikes. Downtown, Midtown, and maybe Buckhead are key business districts, but not in Perimeter Center at first.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:49 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Major business districts
college campuses
transit stations
tourist attractions
BeltLine
In other words, stations need to placed where people feel safe riding bikes. Downtown, Midtown, and maybe Buckhead are key business districts, but not in Perimeter Center at first.
I agree. Start there. They need to work on bike lines connecting Midtown and Buckhead so riders feel safe going up there. The Cycle Atlanta 1.0 plan calls for bikes lanes from Peachtree just up to Brookwood. I think the should try to do a bike trail along the Peachtree corridor all the way up to Chamblee. It could make for a great ride with a lot of things to stop at along the way if they do it right.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Major business districts
college campuses
transit stations
tourist attractions
BeltLine
You are exactly right and the companies that run these schemes (often the same company do the roll outs across various cities) do an incredible amount of research before the scheme launches and more crucially once the scheme begins as to biking route trends.

One of the major surprises of the schemes is that they tend not to always put the bike pick-up stands in the seemingly most logical places (directly outside a train station for instance) because it is so difficult to stem the tide of all the bikes going in a similar direction. (say being picked up from Midtown station and being dropped off at Atlantic station in the morning and then the reverse in the evening commute).

You will constantly seeing the bike trucks flying around town trying to restock the bikes where they are needed the most being in mind that this changes with the time of the day and the day of the week.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:52 AM

And my gut feel tells me that these schemes tend to build from the inside out so I only expect them to launch in Midtown and Downtown first and see how successful the scheme is before spreading North to Buckhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta