Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 01:06 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Your starting point is in Sherwood Forest, not Ansley Park, and the farthest reaches of Sherwood Forest at that.

Gogle Maps says 15 minutes from the Prado/17th Street right in the middle of Ansley Park neoghborhood I find their times to be consistently on the high side fo rmy pace. I stand by my 12 minute estimate.
I was trying to prove your point that AP is a really short walk to Arts Center, I probably could've illustrated it a bit better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 01:12 PM

3,707 posts, read 5,981,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I'm a long time transit fan and I ride when it fits my schedule and itinerary.

However, when you want to get somewhere fast with a minimum of hassle it's hard to beat stepping out your back door, firing up your trusty steed and arriving precisely at your destination. You set your own schedule and it's easy to transport objects, pets and other people.

And for all the ballyhoo about Atlanta traffic, if you stay mainly in the city proper that's generally a non-issue. I can kick back in luxury, set my own climate control, listen to music or satellite radio on a quality sound system, and sip a nice cup of coffee along the way. Since phones are now integrated into the car, it's also a great time to catch up on your calls.

By auto I can be just about anywhere I need to go within 25 minutes or less. With all the creature comforts, longer trips are easy, too.
MARTA is way, way more reliable than driving (only talking about train here). I can regularly tell my girlfriend within a 2 minute window when I'm going to get home from work.

Not sure how one could argue riding the train is more stressful than driving (or even the same level of stress). There's no equivalent for being stuck behind someone who isn't paying attention at a light and causes you to miss a cycle, for someone who blocks an intersection and causes gridlock, for someone who swerves into your lane for no reason, for a difficult merge, etc. And these things happen just about every time you get behind the wheel during rush hour.

Yes, you might get panhandled every once in a while on the train (I see it about once a week these days--far less than a couple years ago). No big deal.

Maybe one time in 20 a train will have a "significant delay". And by that I mean ~5 minutes. When driving, a 5 minute delay on your way to work is barely worth mention, but for some reason on a train people start getting anxious. I guess it's like flying: when people are unfamiliar with a situation and not in control, it's easier to get emotion when something doesn't go as planned. If the train sits for 60 seconds at a train station unexpectedly, I barely notice.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:40 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I was trying to prove your point that AP is a really short walk to Arts Center, I probably could've illustrated it a bit better.
Well, in that case, thanks. I misinterpreted your post.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:42 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

Yes, you might get panhandled every once in a while on the train (I see it about once a week these days--far less than a couple years ago). No big deal.
You can get panhandled (or worse, window washed) when you're in your car, too.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:46 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
MARTA is way, way more reliable than driving (only talking about train here). I can regularly tell my girlfriend within a 2 minute window when I'm going to get home from work.

Not sure how one could argue riding the train is more stressful than driving (or even the same level of stress). There's no equivalent for being stuck behind someone who isn't paying attention at a light and causes you to miss a cycle, for someone who blocks an intersection and causes gridlock, for someone who swerves into your lane for no reason, for a difficult merge, etc. And these things happen just about every time you get behind the wheel during rush hour.

Maybe one time in 20 a train will have a "significant delay". And by that I mean ~5 minutes. When driving, a 5 minute delay on your way to work is barely worth mention, but for some reason on a train people start getting anxious. I guess it's like flying: when people are unfamiliar with a situation and not in control, it's easier to get emotion when something doesn't go as planned. If the train sits for 60 seconds at a train station unexpectedly, I barely notice.
Not to mention your way more likely to die in a car crash than be the victim of a crime on MARTA.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:31 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,027,676 times
Quote:

Outside of rush hour or other traffic tie-ups, driving is usually quicker. But for commuting Marta is definitely the better choice.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm a long time transit fan and I ride when it fits my schedule and itinerary.

However, when you want to get somewhere fast with a minimum of hassle it's hard to beat stepping out your back door, firing up your trusty steed and arriving precisely at your destination. You set your own schedule and it's easy to transport objects, pets and other people.

And for all the ballyhoo about Atlanta traffic, if you stay mainly in the city proper that's generally a non-issue. I can kick back in luxury, set my own climate control, listen to music or satellite radio on a quality sound system, and sip a nice cup of coffee along the way. Since phones are now integrated into the car, it's also a great time to catch up on your calls.

By auto I can be just about anywhere I need to go within 25 minutes or less. With all the creature comforts, longer trips are easy, too.
I totally agree. Most of the time it is much more quick and convenient for me to drive than use Marta, depending on where I'm going.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:42 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:

MARTA is a good system and the trains are safe and reliable. I was a regular rider for several years and still take it if I'm not in a hurry.

However, unless you happen to live and/or work very close to a station, it can't match the speed, flexibility and convenience of a private automobile.

Again, I truly don't understand all the moaning and groaning about traffic. If you live and work within reasonable proximity it is simply not a big deal.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:44 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Not to mention your way more likely to die in a car crash than be the victim of a crime on MARTA.
I agree. MARTA is definitely much safer than driving, but it's a lot more hassle.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I agree. MARTA is definitely much safer than driving, but it's a lot more hassle.
A lot more walking for sure...having lived in London and depended on the Tube, I would say that any public transit system is more of a hassle in that respect. I was so relieved to come back to Atlanta and walk out the door, get in my car, and drive somewhere - usually parking pretty near the entrance. You can't beat the convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta