U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 10:56 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,423,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Oh how convenient. We all know this was a disaster, but can you give us a list of things the Mayor of Atlanta did wrong, that could have prevented this? Where are the county commissioners from the suburbs? Where are the Mayors of the surrounding cities? How many snow trucks does Dunwoody or Johns Creek have?
I asked some of the same questions at the beginning of the thread, and he's yet to answer them.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 AM

2,683 posts, read 5,199,462 times
That is exactly how I thought Deal came off - not Mayor Reed. Reed said they started treating the roads at 9am and would take full blame for why they did not start earlier. They spent 2.5M on new equipment so they didn't have to rely on contractors like they did in 2011. The fire chief said they were sending teams out to the interstates to rescue stranded drivers even though its the state's job to do that.

Deal on the other hand was late to the game in communicating to the press and had no answers at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I

Regardless, I don't really care so much what he did or didn't do. I just think he came off as a weasel in the interviews, trying to portray "it's not my fault" more than "here's how we're going to fix it starting right now."

Old 01-29-2014, 11:01 AM

2,860 posts, read 2,805,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
He's blaming the state and schools and offices for letting out early. And getting combative during his press conference.

Seriously: This guy sucks.
There's very little about those press conferences that worked for me. Deal isn't exactly floating my boat either. It appears I just need to let it go - what's done is done and rather than damage control, let's just straighten it out. The come to Jesus meeting can happen later.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:02 AM

579 posts, read 1,203,449 times
I agree architect77. Yesterday I was notified to leave work around 2pm, warmed my car at 3:00 and did not leave the building until 3:32. It took me about an hour and 15 minutes to get home. My trip was very safe and slow, driving about 25 to 30 mph. I was able to stop by Kroger on Moreland in route and pick up a few items. Took Memorial Drive to East Lake to Hosea Williams to Candler Road to College Drive to E Ponce getting on the E Ponce Ramp north 285 and slowly cruising to the Lawrenceville Hwy exit taking it west to Montreal Rd and smooth sailing to Lavista Road. Only small scare I had was my car sliding twice. Thank you Google Maps.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:08 AM

579 posts, read 1,203,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
There's very little about those press conferences that worked for me. Deal isn't exactly floating my boat either. It appears I just need to let it go - what's done is done and rather than damage control, let's just straighten it out. The come to Jesus meeting can happen later.
I am not shocked about none of the results. I just tried to play my trip as smart as I can. I don't have children though, so that really touches me what happen with the kids. Sleeping on buses and at schools. I'm pretty sure that had parents really worried. Also, the people who had to sleep on the interstate and ran out of gas...smh.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:09 AM

8,283 posts, read 10,220,858 times
Quote:
The come to Jesus meeting can happen later.
I agree. The problem is, does that meeting ever happen?

I mean, how many times does the same exact thing have to happen? How many times does it have to snow and the city have to shut down before someone says maybe we should figure something out?

I don't know what that thing is. Maybe it's a better road plan. Heck, maybe it's just buying a bunch of 4 wheel drive buses that can drive around picking people up who are stranded and taking them to safety. I don't know what it is.

The one thing I will say for sure, though, is: Thank you, Georgia Power, for keeping my lights and heat on through all of this!!!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:20 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,423,153 times
Local officials and citizens are just going to have to get over themselves and realize that major infrastructure improvements on all fronts need to be made, and that costs money.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:20 AM

1,954 posts, read 2,225,032 times
Let's face it..driving here in sunny, 75 degree weather on any day of the week is problematic. Yet we still choose to do it.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:26 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,979,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Local officials and citizens are just going to have to get over themselves and realize that major infrastructure improvements on all fronts need to be made, and that costs money.
They need to find the money and do what needs to be done. If $1 billion can be spent to build a new stadium for the Falcons, then they can find the money to plow and salt the roads.

Priorities are a tad bit askew when emphasis is placed on sports but a blasse attitude is taken and excuses are given when you have 5 year-olds sleeping overnight school buses because of snow.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:27 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,663,094 times
Watching from my condo balcony as everything went down, I can't help but blame GDOT incompetence for the majority of the BIG problems (not the "it took four hours to get home" problems, but the "I spent all night on 285 and ran out of gas" problems), which ultimately falls on Mr. Deal.

At the SB rise on the Connector at 14th Street, cars kept on getting stuck. For a while, it wasn't that big of a deal: other cars would simply avoid them, and eventually a HERO truck would come by and move the stranded cars to the top of the hill. This happened probably 10 times over the course of two hours. But after each time a person was removed, the HERO trucks/patrol cars would simply LEAVE the scene. No attempts to salt this one particularly important, hilly piece of interstate, or keep a truck on standby. I predicted to my friends that eventually someone would get stuck and block cars behind them.

Sure enough, around 9PM, someone got stuck and the cars behind them slowed down and lost momentum, also getting stick. No HERO truck to help, no salt. Chain reaction. Trucks were jackknifed, the road was at a grinding halt for god knows how many miles. The Connector was blocked up until I went to bed hours later.

Just shows a lack of competence and planning from the top. Seriously, a single guy carrying around a bucket of salt could have significantly improved this 100% predictable trouble spot. The length of interstate causing the jam was no more than 500 feet long. Instead, countless people wasted hours sitting there because a few people got stuck on a hill.

Mr. Deal screwed up badly on this one. It's not only a lack of resources at GDOT: the resources were simply not properly deployed. At all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta