Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 06:54 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,929,303 times

Advertisements

If schools had been closed for 2 inches that hadn't even fallen yet I'm sure plenty of people would've said they were overreacting for nothing.

As for Kasim Reed, anyone that's familiar with the area knows how small the area the actual city of Atlanta is relative to the metro area. He certainly is not at fault for the disaster that was 75 in Cobb. And how much responsibility does the city have over the major interstates in city limits?

I think the biggest problem was everyone being released from work/school/etc at once. There are places that will be congested during rush hour for 3-4 hours. Condense that into one event and add people who usually aren't out on the roads commuting and you have a major problem. I was keeping up with it on ga511 from Texas and I could see that the roads weren't bad yet at all. By the time the salt trucks were out (nevermind the plows, accumulations didn't even warrant them until later) there was too much congestion. Once things got icy that was it. Wrecks clogged already congested roads and made it impossible to clear the freeways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
If schools had been closed for 2 inches that hadn't even fallen yet I'm sure plenty of people would've said they were overreacting for nothing.

As for Kasim Reed, anyone that's familiar with the area knows how small the area the actual city of Atlanta is relative to the metro area. He certainly is not at fault for the disaster that was 75 in Cobb. And how much responsibility does the city have over the major interstates in city limits?

I think the biggest problem was everyone being released from work/school/etc at once. There are places that will be congested during rush hour for 3-4 hours. Condense that into one event and add people who usually aren't out on the roads commuting and you have a major problem. I was keeping up with it on ga511 from Texas and I could see that the roads weren't bad yet at all. By the time the salt trucks were out (nevermind the plows, accumulations didn't even warrant them until later) there was too much congestion. Once things got icy that was it. Wrecks clogged already congested roads and made it impossible to clear the freeways.
Oh no doubt, but sometimes you have to make the unpopular decision if you think it is for the greater good. You have about as much chance of being right as you do of being wrong but at least try. If you can't do that then you should be following and not leading.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,398 times
Well, for me it's over. Despite the fact that the roads are relatively clear now, I'm not going back to work tonight. However, I'm kind of glad that I experienced snow and ice in Atlanta. I had to drive to work the day of the snowfall and the morning after, on the skating rink. I didn't appreciate how hilly this place is until I drove home the morning of the 29th. There were relatively few cars on the road and I could really discern the terrain. I was quite pleased that I was able to negotiate the hills and convoluted streets without incident.

Peace, my lords and ladies.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
How 2 inches of snow created a traffic nightmare in Atlanta

A very interesting article that goes into the politics of the metro area. This is front page on MSN, so now the whole country knows how balkanized Atlanta is.
bryant we were going to get exposed eventually & best believe NFL is watching.....its Superbowl week. Atlanta had its azz handed to us this week & its time to Give atlanta mayors executive power over the main 6 or 7 counties that within a 10 miles radius of 285. Also let those same counties have a vote in Atlanta Mayor elections, then we can really blame the Atlanta mayor for the issue. This issue is not Mayor Reeds fault. Too many chiefs n Atlanta.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
bryant we were going to get exposed eventually & best believe NFL is watching.....its Superbowl week. Atlanta had its azz handed to us this week & its time to Give atlanta mayors executive power over the main 6 or 7 counties that within a 10 miles radius of 285. Also let those same counties have a vote in Atlanta Mayor elections, then we can really blame the Atlanta mayor for the issue. This issue is not Mayor Reeds fault. Too many chiefs n Atlanta.
I would be okay with putting everybody under Cobb. They are a pretty well oiled machine up there.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:21 AM

Really? Why so many cars left on the streets

Last edited by 0nyxStation; 01-30-2014 at 10:44 AM..

Old 01-30-2014, 10:23 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would be okay with putting everybody under Cobb. They are a pretty well oiled machine up there.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:27 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,234,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I think someone is starting a love affair with Cobb

Old 01-30-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I think someone is starting a love affair with Cobb
lol

Old 01-30-2014, 03:55 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Really? Why so many cars left on the streets
Thank you for saying this. Cobb County was/is so ill prepared that I would rather be left in anarchy instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta