Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:22 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,133,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
But it was predicted there would be issues. I think people were like "I can handle this" and instead "GOT HANDLED" The Snow was expected but the faith in everyone automobile was off. People actually though their cars & trucks would get them through. Next time stay home, keep your kids home, the streets were safe monDAY and monday NIGHT. As a collective we are just stupid. everyone is to blame.
Exactly. And you just watch, we'll go through this very same problem again in the spring when people drive right through the path of an oncoming tornado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,493,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Exactly. And you just watch, we'll go through this very same problem again in the spring when people drive right through the path of an oncoming tornado.
Sorry but I had to laugh at that man lol...good one.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:29 PM

8,473 posts, read 14,935,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
From all the weather radars I saw early that morning,it was awfully close to the Atlanta southern metro areas and you should always allow margins of error in either direction when its that close. A few miles off in either directions can make a big difference as storms can often shift on a dime and predicting these things is not always 100% accurate. Nothing can be done about it now, but if nothing is learn from this than shame on them.
How does this contradict what I posted? People went to work and school based on information from the day prior. Hardly anyone stops to watch radar when their trying to get their kids to school and to work on time. LOL

Old 01-30-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Which ones? Only possibly the big Texas cities and Phoenix can compare to Atlanta's sprawl. Sure, New York metro is bigger, but it's also way more dense and served by multiple forms of transit and Amtrak. And no other metro even comes close to crossing as many jurisdictions as we do. Heck, Houston metro has more people than us, and it's only nine counties, with almost all of the population (4.2 million) in ONE county! We're known as the poster child for suburban sprawl for a reason.
No, just no. Every single major metropolitan area in this country is surrounded by endless miles of sprawl. NYC, Chicago, Boston, San Fran, Los Angles, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, DC, etc all have the majority of their metro populations in their sprawling suburbs no matter how dense their central cities are. The idea that this unique to Atlanta or the Texas cities is quite bizarre to me.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:45 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,472,499 times
Quote:
Which ones? Only possibly the big Texas cities and Phoenix can compare to Atlanta's sprawl. Sure, New York metro is bigger, but it's also way more dense and served by multiple forms of transit and Amtrak. And no other metro even comes close to crossing as many jurisdictions as we do. Heck, Houston metro has more people than us, and it's only nine counties, with almost all of the population (4.2 million) in ONE county! We're known as the poster child for suburban sprawl for a reason.
This is why I am baffled at why so many people in this region cannot register how sprawled out we are in Metro Atlanta. The only saving grace for those other metros that are equally as sprawled out as Atlanta is the existence of extremely large counties like Harris County, TX or Maricopa County, AZ.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:49 PM

37,822 posts, read 41,644,167 times
Quote:
Sprawl has nothing to do with how many jurisdictions you cross; that is relative to geography. Hell DC's MSA covers a federal district and three states but that tells you nothing in and of itself. Georgia has relatively small counties compared to most other states. Yes Harris County, TX contains over four million people, but it's also over three times larger in land area than Fulton County.

In raw numbers, larger metros have more sprawl than we do--NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.--but the major difference is that they have a larger, denser core relative to the sprawl.

At any rate, as much as I am a proponent of smart growth, mass transit, and all that, this latest disaster has very little to do with sprawl; it has to do with errors in judgment and lack of preparedness.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:51 PM

368 posts, read 537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
No, just no. Every single major metropolitan area in this country is surrounded by endless miles of sprawl. NYC, Chicago, Boston, San Fran, Los Angles, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, DC, etc all have the majority of their metro populations in their sprawling suburbs no matter how dense their central cities are. The idea that this unique to Atlanta or the Texas cities is quite bizarre to me.

Yes, just yes. Of course every city has sprawl. But Atlanta is the king. Check out the density of the other metros. Check out the percentage of people who live in single family housing, and the percentage of people who take transit or bike to work. Check the average commute times. Atlanta and some of the other sunbelt cities are in a different league.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:52 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,995,474 times
Quote:
Let's not get into this debate...every large U.S. city (yes even the ones with great public transit) has endless suburbia surrounding them and lots of them are as big or bigger than Atlanta. Look it up if you must and compare.

And that "poster child" thing is so old and outdated it makes me want to puke. Anytime anyone wants to degrade Atlanta that's what they go to. But there is just no convincing some people.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:55 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,717,926 times
Quote:
Yes, just yes. Of course every city has sprawl. But Atlanta is the king. Check out the density of the other metros. Check out the percentage of people who live in single family housing, and the percentage of people who take transit or bike to work. Check the average commute times. Atlanta and some of the other sunbelt cities are in a different league.
So we should all move into densely packed apartments so someone else won't tell us how sprawled Atlanta is. The damage has been done already. Instead of complaining we should be planning for the future.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Next time the mention of the word SNOW should send up red flags no matter where you are from, because none of the Yankees who live in Atlanta now were able to save Atlanta from what happened tuesday evening and many of them were stuck in it just like the grady babies so...
Looking out at the forecast next week, there is snow/ice predicted again for Friday. Even if it ends being just rain, I'll bet you $1,000,000 6 million people will staying at home that day no matter what.

And lol at your statement about Northerners, but it is absolutely true. Of the 12 people on my team at work, here is the break down of their region of origin:

1 person from south Alabama
3 New Yorkers
1 Rhode Islander
1 Virginian
1 Chicagoan
1 Kansan
4 Georgians (including myself)

We were all at work on the day of the storm, talking about what we would do in the event it got bad. I, along with the rest of the Georgians, the Virginian, and one the New Yorkers (who lived through Snowpocalypse) agreed that things were about to get "real" on the roads and that we should probably go home. The Alabaman didn't know what the think and was panicking, while the rest of the team laughed off what would happen and were convinced that no matter what they'd be ok on the road.

When the first flake dropped, the Alabaman and the New Yorker who agreed with us bolted out the door. They made it home well before the traffic began. The rest of us stayed behind to finish up late morning meetings. By the time the snow started coming harder around noon. I, along with the rest of the Georgians and the Virginian left for home. We all made it home in under an hour except for one lady who unfortunately got stuck on 285 after picking up her daughter from daycare.

The rest of the team, (3 New Yorkers, 1 Chicagoan, 1 Kansan, 1 Rhode Islander) left at different times after the noon hour and before 2pm, all to OTP in Cobb or Gwinnett or North Fulton. The shortest time to get home for that group was 6 hours. Three of them didn't get home until after sunrise yesterday.

When I asked them all what happened, they all said without hesitation that they thought their driving skills would keep them from running in to trouble. None of them have lived in Atlanta long enough to see the streets turn to ice, and none of them said they had seen anything like it back home. In their minds, it was just going to be either loose snow or slush on the streets. They had no idea that streets can be iced up like that.

One odd thing they all said was that they that they never had an appreciation, even though they have been here for some time, for how hilly the terrain in Atlanta. One went so far as to say "The ice on the hills crushed my soul."

While we can sit here all day and talk about what the State or city should have did about the roads, one thing is for sure: For the amount of roads that we have, and the type of terrain, it would be impossible for us to adequately pretreat them all without spending 10s of millions of dollars. Without that investment, the streets are far too dangerous under those conditions to drive on no matter where you are from. I heartily predict, at least for those transplants who just survived their first true encounter with ice on Atlanta streets, will be making fun of everything shutting down for a couple of days the next time this happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta