Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 12:30 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Glenwood Park is an outstanding development.

Of course it was built on an abandoned industrial site -- not exactly comparable to fine old neighborhoods like Ansley and Midtown, where people have spent decades pouring many millions of dollars into updates and renovations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
To what end? Taken to the extreme, "protecting" the old neighborhoods means never ever ever building anything new.
I certainly wouldn't suggest taking that to the extreme on either side of this issue.

Since you're asking me, I'd say the line has to be constantly renegotiated. Smart people who respect one another and care about the character of their city do that all the time.

There are many excellent examples of this in Atlanta, and in cities from San Francisco to Boston. It simply means remaining aware of the complete picture and taking the time to do things right.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:42 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
I am amazed at the anger (and personal vitriol) that erupts whenever someone sounds a note of caution.

I'll freely admit that I'm a traditionalist and an advocate for protecting the city's old neighborhoods.

Can't we talk about the impact of new development without folks resorting to derisive and insulting language?
I don't think anyone is proposing tearing down some of the most expensive home sin the city for high rises, but those high rises can exist across Piedmont from the SFH.
The way the towers are so close to SFH is what makes those intown areas so unique.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The way the towers are so close to SFH is what makes those intown areas so unique.
It is probably doable.

However, it will be critical to see the things like the traffic planning, the shadow studies, construction guidelines, how impact fees will be allocated, what allowance has been made for public art, landscaping and other QOL issues.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:48 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
How about we just move into arcologies and be done with it.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:28 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
Midtown is my favorite part of Atlanta. Good to see more towers going up. If I were living down there again I would move to Midtown in one of the highrises. (within walking distance of MARTA's Arts Center station). May be one day we'll see Atlanta reach a mile stone of building it's first 100 story building.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:39 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
At least midtown Atlanta is starting to fill in a little bit. Now hopefully they'll find somebody to put some skyscrapers up around the Bank of America Tower, so the tallest building in the city doesn't stand all alone.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:47 PM

708 posts, read 999,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Midtown is my favorite part of Atlanta. Good to see more towers going up. If I were living down there again I would move to Midtown in one of the highrises. (within walking distance of MARTA's Arts Center station). May be one day we'll see Atlanta reach a mile stone of building it's first 100 story building.
At least midtown Atlanta is starting to fill in a little bit. Now hopefully they'll find somebody to put some skyscrapers up around the Bank of America Tower, so the tallest building in the city doesn't stand all alone.

Agreed, this will more than like happy lest than 10 years so, there no need to worry.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:30 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post

Agreed, this will more than like happy lest than 10 years so, there no need to worry.
It is right next to the old Bellsouth Building that predates it. There are a few other office mid-rises in the area as well.

But, that is less likely to happen. The transportation dynamics do not create demand there, which is why that building has had worse trouble with vacancy in the recession.

Midtown popped up, because it had access before a major bottleneck. That area didn't. That area was desirable in the 80s and early 90s, because Ponce/North Ave. was the major access artery into the desirable Eastern suburbs of Dekalb County. There was a affluent working population there at the time and the Northern suburban hadn't quite bloomed into what they are today yet. This is also the same reason the Coca-Cola complex is located along that route.

The only way to bring some of this back would be to extend the 17th/16th/14th/10th street semi-collector/distributor system further south to North Ave. The problem there is the GDOT would have to buy more Right-of-way, which is more unlikely to happen. It would directly mean Tech would lose about half a block of their campus where the older dormitories area (incidentally my grandpa stayed in them in college fyi) and the Gym at the O'Keefe building. Even then, it would be the furthest reach of the C-D system and more congested/less reliable.

That is what was so great about Atlantic Station. The designers knew with 17th street, it would be an ideal position for office tenants, as well as retail. That is partly what made the whole development successful.

The area south of 14th, except for high visibility properties on the freeway for companies that want public visibility, is likely to be more of a high density residential area, which is happening a big amount between North Ave and 14th already. That area has good access to the commercial core and the residents are as impacted by the freeway bottlenecks. it makes the property cheaper to develop for residents with lack of competition from office developers.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:34 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
It's sandwiched between EAV and Grant Park, and the 74 bus takes you to Five Points station fairly quickly, FWIW.
Not to mention the Beltline going right through it soon. I ride the 74 myself sometimes, and this area doesn't feel disconnected at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta