U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 06:34 AM

2,860 posts, read 2,814,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
This is stupid.

After using Uber, I have no desire to ever use a regular taxi again.
I have only used taxis in Atlanta like maybe three times (don't ask why and don't judge me), but I don't think they were Uber.

One felt like a mom driving a minivan to little league and another felt like I stepped into the 1970s. When you get into a stranger's car, you want to feel some level of confidence. I'm not even going into all the details of what happened in the third but suffice it to say Ahmad whose name I could never pronounce to his satisfaction offered to buy me some pretty bras at Walmart. What is happening? Do I need to tuck and roll? More importantly, can I? I think I was locked in the back seat.

While I can go along with some regulation being in order, this does sound a bit much. However, like many other industries, I guess they're going to have to get with the program. If the legislators have gotten a wild hair about this, then it's likely going to happen. It may be easier and cheaper to just vet the drivers instead of lobbying to not do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,636,621 times
Nice thing about uber was the rating system. I don't think bad drivers will do well on the service. When I got done with the ride, I was asked to rate the driver. Uber sets up a system that encourages the drivers to be good, or at least decent.

Im just getting tired of the attitude, the language barrier, the smells, the wait where you don't know where the hell the cab is, and the attempts to scam (off the meter) that plague taxis in Atlanta. I'm sure there are good taxi drivers out there, I have encountered a few. But these guys should just get on Uber.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 AM

4,654 posts, read 3,707,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Nice thing about uber was the rating system. I don't think bad drivers will do well on the service. When I got done with the ride, I was asked to rate the driver. Uber sets up a system that encourages the drivers to be good, or at least decent.

Im just getting tired of the attitude, the language barrier, the smells, the wait where you don't know where the hell the cab is, and the attempts to scam (off the meter) that plague taxis in Atlanta. I'm sure there are good taxi drivers out there, I have encountered a few. But these guys should just get on Uber.
I have reservations about the rating system,some customers should be prohibited from using taxis or uber after an assault on drivers.
You can't ask an ugly customer to rate a nice driver but it happens everyday.

All the issues you're raising are legitimate but there's a city with regulations,who imposes criterias for hiring drivers,they pass the english proficiency test,the map and city knowledge test,medical test,car inspection.

The waiting time and other extra issues are the responsabilty of the cab companies who dispatchers that sell trips sometimes.

The good cab drivers should stay in the taxi business,if everyone goes to uber,eventually the service quality will decrease,they will be no competition,uber will have the monopoly,eventually will eliminate all small private taxi cies and the fares will go up.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:43 AM

59 posts, read 111,450 times
Taxis are too expensive anyway. It was going to cost me $30 for a ride from 10th St to Inman Park!

Old 02-07-2014, 12:10 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,993,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
I have reservations about the rating system,some customers should be prohibited from using taxis or uber after an assault on drivers.
You can't ask an ugly customer to rate a nice driver but it happens everyday.

All the issues you're raising are legitimate but there's a city with regulations,who imposes criterias for hiring drivers,they pass the english proficiency test,the map and city knowledge test,medical test,car inspection.

The waiting time and other extra issues are the responsabilty of the cab companies who dispatchers that sell trips sometimes.

The good cab drivers should stay in the taxi business,if everyone goes to uber,eventually the service quality will decrease,they will be no competition,uber will have the monopoly,eventually will eliminate all small private taxi cies and the fares will go up.
I can scream at a cabbie all day but they have almost no recourse against me (not that ever have). At least w/ Uber they have the ability to blacklist a user as well as all your contact info/CC. Also, you have an estimated charge before they show up and a no hassle charging system.

How many times have I gotten into a cab and watched as the cabbie didn't turn on the meter and proceeded to surcharge his way up. Or yell at me about wanting to use a credit card? I've been driven against my will to a random gas station ATM b/c a cabbie wouldn't accept a $80 CC fare (NYC).

Uber is distinctly more expensive than a cab fare. They use licensed livery drivers and merely act as the intermediary. There's little to prevent someone from creating a competing service (Lyft) and bringing in drivers as well. It's a premium service for a premium price.

I'm in cabs almost every week in Atlanta from the airport and I'm fearing death about 50% of the time. I've had drivers whose cars had obvious exhaust leaks and the drivers were showing effects of carbon monoxide poisoning (driving w/o headlights and doing 45 swerving on the connector) and others who didn't seem to understand basic driving rules like traffic signals or right/left. I never experience that type of challenge when using Uber to the airport. My general experience has been Atlanta cabs are among the worst I've been in around the country and I probably spent a few grand on cabs last year alone.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:19 PM

10,024 posts, read 9,330,986 times
Taxi service does not hold a candle to the Uber service. I have ridden in jalopy cabs with drivers who drive way too fast. All the Uber cars I've ridden in were relatively nice and clean, and the drivers respectful. And, Uber was by far less expensive, to boot!

Old 02-07-2014, 12:35 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,707,571 times
Good luck with uber,most uber drivers are former taxis drivers so i don't see any change.
Rude taxis drivers are not going to change just because they work for uber.
Same thing for ugly customers who used to ride taxis,they still going to be ugly while riding uber.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:51 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,636,621 times
I think rude taxi drivers are just going to be put out of a job with services like Uber. At least they will be forced to change.

How? If uber's drivers don't give good service, another service will come along with enforced service standards. Because that's what people want. People don't want the generally terrible taxi experience they get here is Atlanta.

Whatever we have now is broken and needs to go away or be changed by forces like Uber. I wish the best to good, professional taxi drivers. But there is no reason I should deal with the crap I have to deal with in Atlanta's taxis.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM

5,434 posts, read 3,833,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halseyspartan2 View Post
Taxis are too expensive anyway. It was going to cost me $30 for a ride from 10th St to Inman Park!
Cheaper than a DUI.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:32 PM

10,024 posts, read 9,330,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Cheaper than a DUI.
So is Über. Your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta