U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2014, 11:02 AM
 
985 posts, read 1,462,392 times
Reputation: 688

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Sorry for you but will never cost you more than $15,the distance between 10th St and Inman Park is about 5 miles so by meter, it will show no more than $ 15.
It's not right to spread the wrong information about taxis, this will never happen with a honest taxi-cab.
Always call a cab company dispatcher to get a fare estimate.
Uber will cost around 10 and you don't need to call a dispatch for a fare quote, also I will know the driver's name, face, and car type. I can track the driver's status on the map, and it's cashless, and no tipping is involved. After I exit the vehicle, if I left anything, I can call the driver. If I did not like the ride, I can rate the driver. The taxi industry has some validity to their safety argument, but riders like my self can't return to the status quo. The old taxi model is DEAD. It was unreliable, expensive, had zero accountability.

I envision that Uber will have to conform to some form of regulation. All of their drivers will need to be properly vetted, have vehicle checks regularly, and some form of training. However, the yellow taxi model is dead, and it's their fault. I gave up my car because of Uber, not yellow cabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2014, 02:37 PM
 
25 posts, read 31,044 times
Reputation: 40
I wonder how many drunk drivers Uber has taken off the roads of Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 07:47 PM
 
4,654 posts, read 3,686,908 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Uber will cost around 10 and you don't need to call a dispatch for a fare quote, also I will know the driver's name, face, and car type. I can track the driver's status on the map, and it's cashless, and no tipping is involved. After I exit the vehicle, if I left anything, I can call the driver. If I did not like the ride, I can rate the driver. The taxi industry has some validity to their safety argument, but riders like my self can't return to the status quo. The old taxi model is DEAD. It was unreliable, expensive, had zero accountability.

I envision that Uber will have to conform to some form of regulation. All of their drivers will need to be properly vetted, have vehicle checks regularly, and some form of training. However, the yellow taxi model is dead, and it's their fault. I gave up my car because of Uber, not yellow cabs.
No,you're not talking about Uber but Uber X which is the cheaper version of Uber (black cars) ,it is not the same thing.
It doesn't matter,if you order a taxicab through an app (Hailo) ,u will get the driver's name and other details.
These details won't make Uber drivers better than a taxi driver, same thing with the cab, you can call the company and get your stuff back.

Rating is a different issue, a double-edge sword, not fair when it applies only to drivers,it should apply to the customer too (a drunk customer who vomit in ur car is not a good customer ?)
Rating system is unfair to drivers
I disagree with you, the taxi industry is here to stay, Uber is going to suffer at some point by having a monopoly in certain cities.

Uber recently changed rules by imposing 2010 vehicle to their drivers instead 2007 when they started ,they also imposing Suv's vehicles, refusing town car limos, so many Uber drivers are stuck with loans contracted with banks, buying new town car limos on credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA
165 posts, read 128,213 times
Reputation: 245
This is simply a classic case of the Old order not wanting the new/modern ways to take over because they will have to actually complete (and they will lose).

The days of transit (buses, taxis, trains) are, unfortunately, coming to an end sooner rather than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2014, 08:05 AM
 
985 posts, read 1,462,392 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
No,you're not talking about Uber but Uber X which is the cheaper version of Uber (black cars) ,it is not the same thing.
It doesn't matter,if you order a taxicab through an app (Hailo) ,u will get the driver's name and other details.
These details won't make Uber drivers better than a taxi driver, same thing with the cab, you can call the company and get your stuff back.

Rating is a different issue, a double-edge sword, not fair when it applies only to drivers,it should apply to the customer too (a drunk customer who vomit in ur car is not a good customer ?)
Rating system is unfair to drivers
I disagree with you, the taxi industry is here to stay, Uber is going to suffer at some point by having a monopoly in certain cities.

Uber recently changed rules by imposing 2010 vehicle to their drivers instead 2007 when they started ,they also imposing Suv's vehicles, refusing town car limos, so many Uber drivers are stuck with loans contracted with banks, buying new town car limos on credit.
Yes, I'm referring to Uberx, sorry for the confusion. Also, I will not have a discussion with someone who clearly has never used the service. Rating are both ways, drivers and passengers are both rated. If you vomit in someone car you will be charged around 150 bucks. Of course the Uber should change the dates of cars, I see nothing wrong with that, a 2010 is a five year old car. Uber will suffer from competition, since they are technically a middle man, not from Taxi cab nostalgia. Everyone wins except the Taxi industry, good riddance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2014, 09:25 AM
 
124 posts, read 118,780 times
Reputation: 125
Taxi service in Atlanta is terrible. The cars are ancient and many are poorly maintained. Few accept credit cards in an age when credit card service is ubiquitous. Many drivers barely know their way around town and seem to have minimal driving skills. Dispatch is unreliable and inefficient, sometimes cars show up promptly, sometimes they dont show up after a long delay if at all.

The Atlanta taxi industry has milked its monopoly for years and treated customers with disdain. The fact that people prefer getting rides from random strangers in unmarked cars with Uber X tells you all you need to know about Atlanta taxis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2014, 11:30 AM
 
4,654 posts, read 3,686,908 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Yes, I'm referring to Uberx, sorry for the confusion. Also, I will not have a discussion with someone who clearly has never used the service. Rating are both ways, drivers and passengers are both rated. If you vomit in someone car you will be charged around 150 bucks. Of course the Uber should change the dates of cars, I see nothing wrong with that, a 2010 is a five year old car. Uber will suffer from competition, since they are technically a middle man, not from Taxi cab nostalgia. Everyone wins except the Taxi industry, good riddance.
I used the service myself and raises issue that you did not want talk about (Uber abusing their drivers, union issue, Uber drivers asking for their rights) I don't see any major differences, your opinion is directed at the drivers.

I know taxicab that are cleaner than Uber limos, taxi drivers who know the city well, speak good English, reasonably priced, always on time, honest and hard working.

The customers that are happy with their taxis, always use the same one, something you can't do with Uber.
Sorry, i have not heard of driver's rating of customers, if not taken into consideration at all.
That's wrong. At first, Uber was hiring like crazy luring taxicab drivers, promising big money and benefits, any 2007 black town car was accepted,once they had their drivers stuck with loans from the banks ,they impose on them new conditions, a 2010 vehicle and no more town car, only Suv's.
Bad argument,i don't think, Uber will suffer from the competition, it was just an excuse to force drivers into bankruptcy.
If Uber was that successful, why would Uber drivers started picking up flags ?

I see a lot of wrong with that, Uber drivers were tricked and stuck with bank loans.
If a customer vomit in Uber car, he may be charged $150 (I have not heard of that) but can't be refused from using Uber again .

Talking about flexibility, taxicabs accept cash payment while Uber don't, it is not a choice for customers.
So people with cash only are "legally" prevented from using Uber service, where is the free market ?

Sorry, Uber is not a middleman, it is technically a taxi company without regulations, that's why it's been in trouble everywhere, in Germany they have temporary ban.

BBC News - Uber service 'banned' in Germany by Frankfurt court

The ban just been lifted while the case is still on.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/17/bu...ourt.html?_r=0

Atlanta taxi companies and drivers sue Uber
Atlanta taxicab drivers sue Uber ride-sharing service | www.ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2014, 11:41 AM
 
4,654 posts, read 3,686,908 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaComment View Post
Taxi service in Atlanta is terrible. The cars are ancient and many are poorly maintained. Few accept credit cards in an age when credit card service is ubiquitous. Many drivers barely know their way around town and seem to have minimal driving skills. Dispatch is unreliable and inefficient, sometimes cars show up promptly, sometimes they dont show up after a long delay if at all.

The Atlanta taxi industry has milked its monopoly for years and treated customers with disdain. The fact that people prefer getting rides from random strangers in unmarked cars with Uber X tells you all you need to know about Atlanta taxis!
.

Taxi service is terrible everywhere, thanks to the profit only driven "free enterprise"system

Btw, Uber has also the monopoly of ride-sharing industry, just read about the fight that is going on, with Lyft and other small companies.

Sorry,for your bad experience,if you keep the same regular taxi driver, this will never happen.

If you're happy with a taxi driver in particular, keep his personal cel number and call him when you need him,if you keep changing drivers, you'll end up with a bad experience one day.

Same thing is valid for Uber, many Uber drivers been fired for misbehaving, caught drunk, offensive language, smelly car

Police: Uber driver pulled gun, threatened to kill valet | www.wsbtv.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2014, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
62 posts, read 61,002 times
Reputation: 80
[quote=scobby;36526380]

Rating is a different issue, a double-edge sword, not fair when it applies only to drivers,it should apply to the customer too (a drunk customer who vomit in ur car is not a good customer ?)
Rating system is unfair to drivers
quote]


Uber drivers can and do give passengers ratings which are available for other Uber drivers to see; however, passengers do not have access the ratings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2014, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Historic West End
4,189 posts, read 3,549,565 times
Reputation: 4011
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
I used the service myself and raises issue that you did not want talk about (Uber abusing their drivers, union issue, Uber drivers asking for their rights) I don't see any major differences, your opinion is directed at the drivers.

I know taxicab that are cleaner than Uber limos, taxi drivers who know the city well, speak good English, reasonably priced, always on time, honest and hard working.

The customers that are happy with their taxis, always use the same one, something you can't do with Uber.
Sorry, i have not heard of driver's rating of customers, if not taken into consideration at all.
That's wrong. At first, Uber was hiring like crazy luring taxicab drivers, promising big money and benefits, any 2007 black town car was accepted,once they had their drivers stuck with loans from the banks ,they impose on them new conditions, a 2010 vehicle and no more town car, only Suv's.
Bad argument,i don't think, Uber will suffer from the competition, it was just an excuse to force drivers into bankruptcy.
If Uber was that successful, why would Uber drivers started picking up flags ?

I see a lot of wrong with that, Uber drivers were tricked and stuck with bank loans.
If a customer vomit in Uber car, he may be charged $150 (I have not heard of that) but can't be refused from using Uber again .

Talking about flexibility, taxicabs accept cash payment while Uber don't, it is not a choice for customers.
So people with cash only are "legally" prevented from using Uber service, where is the free market ?

Sorry, Uber is not a middleman, it is technically a taxi company without regulations, that's why it's been in trouble everywhere, in Germany they have temporary ban.

BBC News - Uber service 'banned' in Germany by Frankfurt court

The ban just been lifted while the case is still on.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/17/bu...ourt.html?_r=0

Atlanta taxi companies and drivers sue Uber
Atlanta taxicab drivers sue Uber ride-sharing service | www.ajc.com
Uber drivers were not tricked with bank loans. If the scenario is like you are describing, that would be a class/action lawsuit. Also who would file bankruptcy from a car loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top