U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:54 AM

39 posts, read 37,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
I wonder why Uber customers hail cabs when the limo they reserved never showed up.
Do you wonder why so many in here express a preference for using Uber over cabs? You probably should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 AM

39 posts, read 37,629 times
Quote:

Call and complaint to the taxi companies, don't just talk about it, do something about it.
I will let you in on a little secret - people ARE doing something about it. Can you guess what it is? Hint - it rhymes with Boober.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:57 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,293,184 times
Quote:

Call and complaint to the taxi companies, don't just talk about it, do something about it.
I did just that. I also went to the city of Atlanta in
which case they dismissed it without even calling me to let me know why and then when I asked why they told me something different because the taxi company told them something else
That was not true.

I never said all taxi drivers were bad but I can promise you that before I started using Uber when I had to use taxis, mosr drivers in my experience were negative.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:02 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,710,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
Do you wonder why so many in here express a preference for using Uber over cabs? You probably should.
Who knows ? some are Uber drivers, some are Uber staff by their own admission, if they're paid to do that, it's not the numbers on this forum that would reflect the reality

Old 09-21-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I did just that. I also went to the city of Atlanta in
which case they dismissed it without even calling me to let me know why and then when I asked why they told me something different because the taxi company told them something else
That was not true.

I never said all taxi drivers were bad but I can promise you that before I started using Uber when I had to use taxis, mosr drivers in my experience were negative.

I'm sorry for the negative experience you had but I just want to remind you that over 70% of Uber and Lyft are former taxi drivers so it doesn't add up.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Please - cite your source for this statement.
I know them personally, all Uber drivers that i know are ex taxi drivers if you have some document that show otherwise post them.
They can't be ugly when driving a cab and angel when driving a limo ?

Old 09-21-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I participate in several online forums, and I have never encountered someone like scobby who is so irrational in his attempts to defend the status quo, as he attempts to do with taxis. It is almost sad to watch someone try so hard and utterly fail.

Is Uber perfect - no. But so far his knocks against Uber amount to (a) they are being sued left and right by taxi companies and cities trying to protect a racket and income stream (how is that a knock against Uber???) and (b) they don't accept cash which he interprets as anti-free market. Completely laughable. So many of his statements are wrong about Uber, regarding insurance, etc. As I said, sad to watch him flounder so badly.

I have taken at least 1,000 cab rides in probably 30 different cities. I have taken 20 or so Uber rides. Every one of my Uber rides has been superior - and less expensive by my recollection - than any of my cab rides. My daughter is a part-time Uber driver so I know from her how their program works, how they provide insurance, etc.

The only valid point taxis and cities have against Uber is Uber has an advantage because they are not licensed, taxed and regulated like taxis. The extraordinary success of Uber, and incredible lack of real issues or problems (despite scobby's failed attempts to suggest otherwise) is real world, indisputable proof that licensing, taxation and regulation isn't needed. So the appropriate response by taxis and cities is to get rid of licensing, taxation and regulation. When and if problems become prevalent - which could possibly happen - then reconsider what appropriate regulation might be implemented.
If you're so sure of that, then why are u debating the whole issue ? So nobody should critic or even give a different opinion about the limo business,just because of your experience or 10 or 20 forum members ?

20 cities ? that's a lot ? compared to several countries around the world, where Uber is having problems !!

Old 09-21-2014, 12:26 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,293,184 times
Quote:
If you're so sure of that, then why are u debating the whole issue ? So nobody should critic or even give a different opinion about the limo business,just because of your experience or 10 or 20 forum members ?

20 cities ? that's a lot ? compared to several countries around the world, where Uber is having problems !!
Uber is doing just fine.Thne only problems its having is the taxi lobbyiest wanting to hold on to their monopoly.

Sorry but i still use Uber as well as drive for them.I also drive for Lyft and I can tell you that not ONCE have I met a former Taxi driver for either of these companies.

Im not saying their are not many but you have no clue what you are talking about if you think 70% of Uber frivers are former Taxis.
If you know a lot of taxi drivers them im sure you know some that went to Uber but that does not translate to their being majority
.Anyone that has used Taxi can tell you that the attitude is the reason most people dont like taxis in Atlanta.Why then is the approval rating for Uber so much higher if thats the case?

Oh and UBER does not look like its having major problems accoring to this:http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/06/...ype=blogs&_r=0

Old 09-21-2014, 01:22 PM

3,615 posts, read 6,500,903 times
I just rode Uber in San Fran and there are tons more drivers there than in ATL already. It's kind of sad that the republicans are trying to make things worse.

This is just more proof that republicans are not anti-regulation, but just in favor of the rural and suburban car-centric lifestyle.

Last edited by netdragon; 09-21-2014 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-21-2014, 02:46 PM

4,218 posts, read 3,589,368 times
Quote:
I participate in several online forums, and I have never encountered someone like scobby who is so irrational in his attempts to defend the status quo, as he attempts to do with taxis. It is almost sad to watch someone try so hard and utterly fail.

Is Uber perfect - no. But so far his knocks against Uber amount to (a) they are being sued left and right by taxi companies and cities trying to protect a racket and income stream (how is that a knock against Uber???) and (b) they don't accept cash which he interprets as anti-free market. Completely laughable. So many of his statements are wrong about Uber, regarding insurance, etc. As I said, sad to watch him flounder so badly.

I have taken at least 1,000 cab rides in probably 30 different cities. I have taken 20 or so Uber rides. Every one of my Uber rides has been superior - and less expensive by my recollection - than any of my cab rides. My daughter is a part-time Uber driver so I know from her how their program works, how they provide insurance, etc.

The only valid point taxis and cities have against Uber is Uber has an advantage because they are not licensed, taxed and regulated like taxis. The extraordinary success of Uber, and incredible lack of real issues or problems (despite scobby's failed attempts to suggest otherwise) is real world, indisputable proof that licensing, taxation and regulation isn't needed. So the appropriate response by taxis and cities is to get rid of licensing, taxation and regulation. When and if problems become prevalent - which could possibly happen - then reconsider what appropriate regulation might be implemented.
Thanks and Ditto, all your points are excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta