Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 10:32 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

I think it's a terrific business and a real plus for the ATL.

It's just plain smart. They're turning a 50% profit margin, recycling material that would otherwise go in the dump, and filling the gap left by the demise of bricks-and-mortar media stores.

For those who think old media is useless, I know a fellow who made a huge fortune selling cassette tapes in the 1990s and 2000s. There is still a lot more demand out there than people realize and if you can figure out how to serve it efficiently....well, there is still plenty of gold in them thar hills.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 01:06 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
The days of physical media for the games are numbered
Sorry, this is wrong.

Did you see what happened when Microsoft announced Xbox One would require licenses for games and require internet connections? The reaction was so severe and so swift that MS had to humble itself and reverse the policy in under 24 hours.

That's because game players understand how important the second hand market is. Most people buy games, play them, finish them, then trade them in. That's why you see Gamestops everywhere.

The end of physical media? No doubt, the industry would love that. That way, they would be able to charge full price all the time for every game. And you'd never be able to trade it in. BUT, the market will not stand for it. The reason physical media will not go away in video games is because trading is part of the culture that is unlikely to go away. Manufacturers can do whatever they want, but so long as there is a competing manufacturer willing to commit to physical media, that is the one that will emerge victorious for the near future.

The end of physical media is not coming. People are tired of owning nothing more than licenses. The backlash is starting already, which is why you see vinyl and CDs again. The cloud will not kill physical media. Just like radio didn't kill newspapers. And television didn't kill radio. And the internet didn't kill movie theaters. And all of the other predictions that were made by people who understand technology, but not psychology.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:48 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
yeah, the MBV album was more expensive than most are; however, it was a double record. however i've gotten a lot of new records from criminal in the $15-$20 range. let's put it this way— they cost the same as CDs did 10 years ago.
That's not why it was expensive. The Arcade Fire's new record is a double album and it's $23.

I was just at Criminal Records yesterday and found some '70s R&B reissues (new) for $10.99, so depending on what you're lookign for there are good deals on new vinyl. Most of what I buy these days are new releases, and the cheapest one I saw was $18.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:55 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That's not why it was expensive. The Arcade Fire's new record is a double album and it's $23.

I was just at Criminal Records yesterday and found some '70s R&B reissues (new) for $10.99, so depending on what you're lookign for there are good deals on new vinyl. Most of what I buy these days are new releases, and the cheapest one I saw was $18.
cool! i have seen a lot of neat represses on vinyl recently; i'm a huge genesis fan so i was excited when they repressed the original mix of 'spot the pigeon' for record store day. there's nothing like buying a new record. it's like you're really getting something. with the CDs i would always buy them and then in two weeks they're tossed in the back seat of the car; they just weren't special.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
cool! i have seen a lot of neat represses on vinyl recently; i'm a huge genesis fan so i was excited when they repressed the original mix of 'spot the pigeon' for record store day. there's nothing like buying a new record. it's like you're really getting something. with the CDs i would always buy them and then in two weeks they're tossed in the back seat of the car; they just weren't special.
Same here. The Jimi Hendrix releases have been great packages and outstanding pressings, for example. Sometimes you get some nice freebies if you buy straight from the label. I pre-ordered the new recodrd from a band I really like called Hospitality and when it showed up it included an autographed poster and a nice pin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta