U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2014, 02:14 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,834,601 times

Advertisements

If you get a speeding ticket in Walton County, you may want to reconsider going to court over it:

Speeder banned from Georgia county | News To Me with George Mathis

Note: the original article mistakenly said the driver was banned for life. He is only banned for the duration of his probation.

The article gives no indication if the driver had a previous record of speeding and other violations, but $1000 and 12 months probation seems excessive, even for 40 in a 25.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 04:49 PM

3,769 posts, read 2,939,720 times
Wow... that is the most absurd thing I've ever heard

Old 02-07-2014, 08:52 PM

1,153 posts, read 681,152 times
I'm usually not quick to break out the race card, but the speeder was a black man and the judge was a very old white man. Just struck me as odd.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:49 AM

1,500 posts, read 681,187 times
Unless I had no choice, Walton Co. would not have to worry about me setting foot over there again. Where even does a speed limit of 25 exist that's not a school zone? We'd be good because I would not be going back.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:02 AM

23 posts, read 8,933 times
Ugh, that's disgusting and an abuse of power. Also, super racist.

Walton County wasn't a great place when I lived there for a minute and it's clearly not a great place now.

Yuck.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:26 AM

2,270 posts, read 1,301,249 times
It appears as though there likely may have been a little bit of omission from the above 'news' article, possibly for the sake of sensationalized reporting.

If the man in the article was ticketed (and fined $1000, ordered to driving school, given 12 months probation, and banned from the county for a year) for driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone, the violation could have only occurred either on a residential street, on a handful of very-narrow streets in and around Downtown Loganville, or in a 25 mph school zone on a major road between the hours of 6:30-9am or 2:30-4pm on a school day as those are the ONLY places within the City of Loganville where there is a speed limit of 25 mph.

Also, someone almost always only gets ordered to driving school if they either have had too many moving violations within a relatively short period of time and/or have too many points on their driving record.

(...In Georgia one must have received 15 points within 24 months to be eligible to have their license automatically suspended, revoked or cancelled.)

To have received a fine of $1000 and 12 months probation, the guy most likely had to have been speeding in a school zone after having received too many moving violations within the last 5 years.

To have been ordered to driving school, the guy's license must have been eligible for suspension, revocation or cancellation...in which case the judge did him a favor by only ordering him to driving school and not suspending his license for 6 months, or worse yet, revoking or cancelling his license, which the judge would have had every right to do seeing as though the guy is only a permanent U.S. resident and not a U.S. citizen.

By being ordered to driving school, the guy actually gets the opportunity to have 7 points taken off of his license so that it will not be eligible for suspension, revocation or cancellation if the guy did indeed have too many points on his license after receiving this most recent moving violation.

The judge also would have every right to order the guy to driving school if the guy was cited for speeding for doing 40 mph in a 25 mph school zone even if the guy did not have too many points on his driving record as speeding while doing 10 mph or more in a school zone is a very-serious and very-dangerous offense.

I'm not saying that the guy may have deserved the punishment that he got, but there most-certainly appears to have been more to the story than has been reported.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:32 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,834,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Unless I had no choice, Walton Co. would not have to worry about me setting foot over there again. Where even does a speed limit of 25 exist that's not a school zone?
I don't know about Walton County or Loganville, but we have a 25 mph speed limit on Hwy 5 through downtown Woodstock. And for good reason: there are many pedestrians and several crosswalks that are not controlled by a traffic light.

[And, yes, as a resident of Woodstock who travels that road daily, I obey the speed limit. Even when people are tailgating me.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
It appears as though there likely may have been a little bit of omission from the above 'news' article, possibly for the sake of sensationalized reporting.

If the man in the article was ticketed (and fined $1000, ordered to driving school, given 12 months probation, and banned from the county for a year) for driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone, the violation could have only occurred either on a residential street, on a handful of very-narrow streets in and around Downtown Loganville, or in a 25 mph school zone on a major road between the hours of 6:30-9am or 2:30-4pm on a school day as those are the ONLY places within the City of Loganville where there is a speed limit of 25 mph.

Also, someone almost always only gets ordered to driving school if they either have had too many moving violations within a relatively short period of time and/or have too many points on their driving record.
The article mentioned that he went to court to lower his fine. But I strongly suspect you are right and that he had an excessive number of other violations. So he really went to court to try to save his license.

Quote:
To have been ordered to driving school, the guy's license must have been eligible for suspension, revocation or cancellation...in which case the judge did him a favor by only ordering him to driving school and not suspending his license for 6 months, or worse yet, revoking or cancelling his license,
The "sensational" part of the story is that the judge banned him from Walton County, something that normally is only used on serious offenders. Could be the judge saw him as a repeat offender who was putting the lives others at risk with his vehicle, and really wanted him out.

Quote:
I'm not saying that the guy may have deserved the punishment that he got, but there most-certainly appears to have been more to the story than has been reported.
There usually is.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:22 PM

15,019 posts, read 9,793,968 times
Banishment is an excellent punishment and it should be used more often with hardheaded, repeat offenders and scofflaws. It's like a time-out for adults.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:20 PM

88 posts, read 38,567 times
Walton County beats to its own drum. this is speaking from first hand experience. Our family has had 2 accounts with them in the past. Good luck trying to find equal justice anywhere in the county. The sheriffs do not follow any standard operating practices or procedures, and ultimately do whatever they want. Its funny that this is seeing the light of day because the city of social circle has been rogue for decades....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta