Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:48 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie2122 View Post
I abhor nightclubs and other places with very loud rap or pop music. Also, I am not interested in only intermingling with African-Americans/blacks.
The great news for you is that there are very many interracial and even multi-racial social groups that you could take advantage of to meet people of all races in an increasingly-diverse Metro Atlanta.

The 'Meetup' social groups are especially a great place to meet people of all races and backgrounds:
Meetups near Atlanta, Georgia - Meetup

Also, if your college alma mater has an active alumni chapter in the Atlanta area, that is also a great place to meet people of different backgrounds, if that is an option for you.

Quote:
Perhaps I should have chosen a different word, besides "native." I was actually referring to those who are born in the South.
There are quite a few native Southerners (from places like Tennessee, South Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Texas, Louisiana and other parts of Georgia), but there is also a very-large and domineering cadre of blacks and whites from the Midwestern U.S. (particularly from the state of Michigan) and Northeastern U.S. (particularly from the New York-New Jersey, Philadelphia and Washington DC, Baltimore areas) who have had an undeniable and overwhelming effect on the culture, social dynamics and even the politics of the Atlanta metro area (...hence, the New York-style and Northeastern-style pizza joints on seemingly every major corner throughout much of Metro Atlanta).

Quote:
If I did relocate, I would reside in Midtown Atlanta, since my organization's regional office is situated in the area. I'd use my car primarily for weekend excursions and grocery shopping.
That's excellent because Midtown actually has really good MARTA heavy rail transit service with 3 stations at Arts Center, Midtown and North Avenue.

Plus, any commuting arrangement that keeps you from having to drive in very-heavy traffic from Atlanta's increasingly-miserable rush hours on a consistent basis is a very-good thing.

(...Atlanta used to be able to play down its traffic problems when compared to Northeastern cities like DC, Philly, NYC and Boston, but Atlanta cannot really necessarily do that anymore after last week's weather-induced traffic jam of apocalyptic proportions...though, the irony of that traffic debacle is that those who rode MARTA heavy rail and lived relatively-close to a station actually got home in under an hour in most cases compared to those suburban commuters who did not have that option or any transit option and subsequently spent up to 24 hours sitting in traffic if they did not abandon their cars long before that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:15 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
I would say don't be so naive. Follow and establish your career first, and the relationship will come. No matter what city you live in, someone exist for you. However don't get stuck in fantasy, and say you will never date someone of a particular color. Their are no perfect men or relationships. Although I do respect your preference, but just keep an open mind.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:25 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
I've wanted to relocate for some time from the DC metro area to ATL, but I was waiting for a position at my salary level to open up. Last week, I was notified that there were several full-time permanent positions at my grade level that recently opened up at my organization's Atlanta regional office. I was quite vocal about wanting to move into a regional position, so my manager made a few calls and now she believes that I will be interested in accepting a transfer to the Atlanta office.

My sister (who is also my best friend) and her husband reside in the Atlanta area, but things aren't going well for them (due to the fact that they do not have stable good paying positions). I make nearly six figures, and I would continue to make the same money in ATL, but I don't want to relocate if my sister and her husband plan on leaving soon, due to the economy.
I assume you are an adult and that you have been in a corporate for some time as such to be given the opportunity to relocate to another city to further your career. Make the decision based on your future well being. Your sister, where ever she may end up, can always be visited. Your window for making the most of your career for your retirement is finite. Don't think of your life six months from now, but rather 40 or so years in the future when you are retired.

Quote:
I've also been thinking about my life and the fact that I'm single. I know that ATL is not a good place for single African American women. Also, ATL doesn't strike me as a diverse city, because it primarily consists of native blacks and whites.
A few points here:

1.) No. Hell no. While Atlanta has the second African-American population in North America, it is no where near "primarily" native black men.

2.) As for White men, most of them now are transplants or second generation transplants. Those that are Atlanta natives aren't the stereotypical Klan-esque DCers normally have. White men from Atlanta, in my observation, are generally gentile and socially open. They do not shun diversity, nor are they the type to be brutish. In the City and surrounding environs, it's hard to find the stereotypical "redneck" White guy. When you do, they are more often than not extremely cool and more worldly than given credit for.

3.) Nearly thirty percent of Metro Atlanta is neither White nor Black. Atlanta has a large Asian and Latino community just like DC.

4.) The same things that make DC divers make Atlanta diverse. They are almost mirror cities in terms of ethnic makeup right down the line. The only thing that makes it seem like it isn't is this persistent DC bias against anything south of the Dale City.

Quote:
I do however like the idea of living in a substantially lower cost of living area; therefore, I feel like I should jump at the opportunity, but for some reason, I no longer want to. I know it's crazy because I pay so much to live in the DC metro area, but I feel like it's worth it, because the area is far more cosmopolitan than Atlanta.

Quote:
To be quite honest, the cost of living is a major factor. Although I do pretty well in the DC metro area, more than half of my earnings go towards housing related cost. I could elect to reside in a cheaper area within the metro, but safety and remaining close to work are important to me.
As others have said, making a move based on the cost of living alone is probably one of the worst things anyone could ever do (prime example: The entire State of Florida). However, Atlanta is on par with DC in the cosmopolitan department. The only advantage that DC has on Atlanta in that department is the plethora of embassies in the DC area. But that is more of a occupational situation than it is a feature of the city.

Quote:
I am concerned with the dating options in Atlanta --primarily because I tend to prefer non black men and ATL primarily consist of black men.
One word for you: Buckhead...or Doraville or Duluth if you are in to Asian or Latino men. Honestly though (this is just my personal opinion), I think you are basing your love life on a losing theory. No city can make an individual attractive to another. It's all up to how you are as a person that makes compatibility work. By narrowly defining what it is you want in a mate, you automatically limit choices exponentially no matter what city you are in. For the record, this is not bias against your personal presence. I am blasian and in an "interracial" marriage (being mixed, any relationship would be mixed by default, but I digress) so I know a thing or two about this. The platform from which you should be working from is "I am a good woman, therefore I deserve a good man." Unless of course you fancy yourself duplicating Olivia Pope's life. Can't help you there.

Quote:
When I visit my sister, I've noticed that the housing options (in good areas) are still within a reasonable price-point. I am thinking that the extra money could be used to take additional trips outside of the country, and I'm also looking at purchasing a few investment properties in the Baltimore area. I will not be able to do this if my living expenses remain sky-high.

Also, I am interested in gaining additional skills, by working on regional related projects. I'm familiar with the "culture" of the ATL regional office and it would be a welcomed "less tense" environment, because I want to spend my non work hours, engaging in outside hobbies and interests (to remain balanced).
Depsite the bad idea of moving solely for cost of living reasons, Atlanta is an extremely affordable major city. This is especially true when it is pared with it's amenities. If you make a six figure salary, you can pretty much live wherever you like without compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This is (apparently on city-data at least) a common misconception...Atlanta is 32% black, so there is not one iota of truth to the statement "Atlanta primarily consists of black men". LOL!
I blame Tyler Perry and BET. LMAO!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:05 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Since I am single (w/out children) and do not own any property at this time, I pay a great deal in taxes. Also, the COL is very high in the good areas of DC, Northern VA and Montgomery County, MD.
Don't be fooled by the things you read about COL in Atlanta. The "good" areas of Atlanta are not cheap...undoubtedly a little less expensive than DC (one of the top 5 most expensive cities in the U.S.), but nonetheless it's not a free-for-all here. Better areas of Atlanta can be very expensive, and Atlanta is no longer one of the cheapest major cities in the U.S.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:06 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

I blame Tyler Perry and BET. LMAO!
...and those skanky housewives.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:29 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetarheel View Post
lol!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:32 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Don't be fooled by the things you read about COL in Atlanta. The "good" areas of Atlanta are not cheap...undoubtedly a little less expensive than DC (one of the top 5 most expensive cities in the U.S.), but nonetheless it's not a free-for-all here. Better areas of Atlanta can be very expensive, and Atlanta is no longer one of the cheapest major cities in the U.S.
This is true. Though it may not be as expensive as DC, the OP should still expect to pay four figures in rent to live in the nicer areas, especially if she's trying to be in or close to Midtown. Even nicer, newer apartments in the burbs for going for four figures now.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:53 PM

18 posts, read 25,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
This is true. Though it may not be as expensive as DC, the OP should still expect to pay four figures in rent to live in the nicer areas, especially if she's trying to be in or close to Midtown. Even nicer, newer apartments in the burbs for going for four figures now.
I've checked out Post-Parkside in Midtown. The complex is only 3 blocks from the Marta and centrally located near Piedmont park. The units at Post-Parkside can be pricey, but there are certainly 1 bedroom rentals that are a little less than $ 1300/month. As far as I'm concerned, that's a good deal, especially since, I'm currently paying substantially more in rent every month.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:55 PM

18 posts, read 25,942 times
Quote:
I do not watch BET or any so-called "reality" tv programs.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:01 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
What are your hobbies or things you like to do outside of work? Most of the year, the weather in Atlanta is perfect for outdoor activities. Do you like to travel? ATL airport will get you anywhere.

Something in your life is missing in DC, for you to have started this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta