Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:07 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
For what reason?
Because the ice isn't as bad down here.

Edit: After looking out the window again, I'll take this back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 12:17 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Can anyone explain to me the stupid attitude of truck drivers & the companies they work for? Why is they feel they are so invinsible when it comes to weather? These grown azz men on the news crying & moaning like little girls because they are being told not to come through our city. Every wreck that is out there being reported is a big semi truck. No coupes, sedans, pickups....just the trucks? To all truckers on this forum, what the he11 is wrong with you people?
Truckers are not salary or even hourly wage workers, they get paid by the load or the mile, in general. So, no work, no pay. I'm sure that most of them would love the luxury of pulling in to a comfy motel, watching the weather channel and waiting out the storm but most do not have the choice. They company doesn't foot the cost of that rest, the trucker pays for his own accommodations.

If the cargo they are hauling is headed for a trans-ocean ship guess what, the ship will not wait for them to arrive. So then the container would have to be re-booked on another ship and sit in the container yard until that next outbound ship is available. And the shipper gets the bill for storage for each day that it sits in the container yard.

If the cargo is domestic then it's a somewhat different scenario. Most companies order goods on a "just in time" basis so that they keep limited stock on hand. So places like Wal-Mart, Target, Big Lots, department stores, etc. expect their shipments on time. When it's late well, I'm sure you won't mind if you go to the store to make a purchase only to find out they they are out of stock of advertised special sale item and the shipment was delayed by bad weather somewhere.

If its a food shipment, meats or fruits and veggies, then the cost of keeping those perishables frozen or chilled at the right temp is costly, the refrigeration units run on diesel and can't be shut down for any length of time.

So that is why the guys and gals have to keep on truckin'.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:19 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Because the ice isn't as bad down here.

Edit: After looking out the window again, I'll take this back.
Yeah, the news has been saying all morning that south Atlanta metro was the worst hit. Also, there was a lot being said about ClayCo having the most power outages (1/3 of residents).

Hang in there and be safe.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:27 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
So it seems Raleigh is having their snowjam now. They didn't learn a thing from Atlanta....

Old 02-12-2014, 01:40 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Yeah, the news has been saying all morning that south Atlanta metro was the worst hit. Also, there was a lot being said about ClayCo having the most power outages (1/3 of residents).

Hang in there and be safe.
Wow glad my power is still on. Do you know exactly where the power is out?

Old 02-12-2014, 02:04 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
So it seems Raleigh is having their snowjam now. They didn't learn a thing from Atlanta....
But, but, but according to another poster that sort of thing would be IMPOSSIBLE in North Carolina with its superior road signage and brine.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:07 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Wow glad my power is still on. Do you know exactly where the power is out?
I don't exactly where all of them are, but there wer around 60,000 outages at 9 this morning and that increased to around !50,000 this afternoon across the state. Other than Clayton County, Savannah or August (forget which) was mentioned as the next hardest hit.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:15 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,150 times
Zugor,

great response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Truckers are not salary or even hourly wage workers, they get paid by the load or the mile, in general. So, no work, no pay. I'm sure that most of them would love the luxury of pulling in to a comfy motel, watching the weather channel and waiting out the storm but most do not have the choice. They company doesn't foot the cost of that rest, the trucker pays for his own accommodations.

If the cargo they are hauling is headed for a trans-ocean ship guess what, the ship will not wait for them to arrive. So then the container would have to be re-booked on another ship and sit in the container yard until that next outbound ship is available. And the shipper gets the bill for storage for each day that it sits in the container yard.

If the cargo is domestic then it's a somewhat different scenario. Most companies order goods on a "just in time" basis so that they keep limited stock on hand. So places like Wal-Mart, Target, Big Lots, department stores, etc. expect their shipments on time. When it's late well, I'm sure you won't mind if you go to the store to make a purchase only to find out they they are out of stock of advertised special sale item and the shipment was delayed by bad weather somewhere.

If its a food shipment, meats or fruits and veggies, then the cost of keeping those perishables frozen or chilled at the right temp is costly, the refrigeration units run on diesel and can't be shut down for any length of time.

So that is why the guys and gals have to keep on truckin'.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:21 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
I don't exactly where all of them are, but there wer around 60,000 outages at 9 this morning and that increased to around !50,000 this afternoon across the state. Other than Clayton County, Savannah or August (forget which) was mentioned as the next hardest hit.
Yes, Augusta has gotten a fair amount of ice I understand. I was streaming Jim Cantore; you know it's bad when they send him there.
My DH and I are in Barcelona (sunny, highs in the 60s), so we're missing all of this. We were supposed to arrive in Atlanta tomorrow around noon, but that's a no-go. Oh well, gives me a little time to eat Tapas and practice my Catalan.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:24 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, Augusta has gotten a fair amount of ice I understand. I was streaming Jim Cantore; you know it's bad when they send him there.
My DH and I are in Barcelona (sunny, highs in the 60s), so we're missing all of this. We were supposed to arrive in Atlanta tomorrow around noon, but that's a no-go. Oh well, gives me a little time to eat Tapas and practice my Catalan.
I envy you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta