Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 04:30 PM

712 posts, read 701,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Cumming is a nice place that is getting nicer. You should visit it.
I agree. There are trade-offs with anywhere one chooses to live, but my wife, kids and I have been happy in Cumming in the time we've lived there. And you are correct about visiting. That's really the only way the OP can get a feel for him/herself. Probably would also help if the OP provided more info about what he/she is looking for in a place to call home.

The redneck comment made me chuckle. It's really remarkable how rapidly my little corning of S. Forsyth (Cumming address) is changing racially and ethnically. Rednecks are in fact in rather short supply in my immediate vicinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 08:10 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
I agree. There are trade-offs with anywhere one chooses to live, but my wife, kids and I have been happy in Cumming in the time we've lived there. And you are correct about visiting. That's really the only way the OP can get a feel for him/herself. Probably would also help if the OP provided more info about what he/she is looking for in a place to call home.

The redneck comment made me chuckle. It's really remarkable how rapidly my little corning of S. Forsyth (Cumming address) is changing racially and ethnically. Rednecks are in fact in rather short supply in my immediate vicinity.
Hey, BR, I'm in S. Forsyth, too. And you are right - the rednecks and closed minded folks are no more abundant here than they are in the city. And, I say that loving the city.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 PM

29 posts, read 34,299 times
What is it you are looking for in Cumming? the southern part S. Forsyth is very different from the more Northern Cumming areas.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 PM

134 posts, read 185,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
hey, there are places i dig OTP. downtown marietta, downtown roswell, downtown norcross, gainesville, etc. cumming is just an awful place.
I was surprised at how interesting downtown Marietta is. I hadn't been there since 2000 when it was a dump but was there back in July and was amazed how revitalized it is. Downtown Roswell, Gainesville and Canton are nice too. Downtown Cumming is really in need of amenities. There's not much there beside government buildings. And then of course there are the mountain towns like Dahlonega and Blue Ridge that are great.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:15 PM

134 posts, read 185,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post

South Forsyth is not redneck at all. It's not going to be exciting for a single person, but it's upper middle class, with exploding diversity (mostly Asian) of professional families.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
The first time I visited Cumming was in the late 80s after an episode of Oprah (I believe) where there was some huge deal with the KKK in the area. I did not intentionally visit but I went the wrong way on 400 after visiting a friend's toddler at the hospital. I was very uncomfortable because I already had formed a perception of Forsyth County.

Now, around 20 years later, I have a very good friend who is a native of Cumming and make no mistake some of her family members can really fly off the chain when they get a few in them (which is often), but I don't feel uncomfortable there any more.

I think you get a lot for your money, and I like a lot of features of the area, but I couldn't be bothered with that long drive into town.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:16 AM

78 posts, read 88,753 times
I'm looking for a quiet place to settle to be far enough from the city but not too far from it. I currently live in Roswell in an apartment and would really like to stay around the Roswell/Alpharetta/Johns Creek area and find a house there but it is a little out of my budget. For 150K in Cumming you can find beautiful and relatively new houses while in Roswell it will be much smaller and much older of a house.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:54 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
How new and big of a house you need? Mine was built in 1999 - I have 1/3 of an acre, 900 square feet, 2BR, a concrete patio/privacy fence which gives lots of privacy and 5 minutes to GA400. After the seller helped pay Closing costs I got it for $81,500. It's 30 minutes to North Spring Marta station without traffic of course.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 AM

78 posts, read 88,753 times
I would love a new house with three bedrooms.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:46 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Then you only have a few hundred to choose from.

All the sub/divisions being built will have 3 and 4 BR home, and my guess there are hundreds in the pipeline to be built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta