Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:59 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Insurance.
The dog owner needs to do a lot more than have insurance, however.

Insurance doesn't do much good if a child or someone else has been torn up by a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 02:07 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The dog owner needs to do a lot more than have insurance, however.

Insurance doesn't do much good if a child or someone else has been torn up by a dog.
You misunderstood me. You said you don't see what the problem is. The problem is that landlords can't be insured against aggressive breeds without paying a higher premium. It doesn't make business sense to do that, so they don't.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:11 PM

155 posts, read 206,763 times
Thank you all for your answers..You all don't know how much it means to me. Thank you alot. I am about to look around for real estate companies that offer rentals now. My budget is up to 1200. One thing I love about Atlanta is that you get a lot of house and yard for a cheap price..Good for both King and I. I will upload a picture so that you all can see him. LOL. He gets alot of stares until people actually see how gentle he is which shocks them even more. BTW is Georgia Perimeter still going through financial issues? PIX below..Although I think dogs with cropped ears looks good at the professional shows trust me I did not want it for King. I was deployed and my dad,A professional dog trainer, got his ears cropped which,excuse my language pissed me off.LOL. I dealt with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Military Vet moving to ATL with "AGGRESSIVE BREED"-image.jpg  

Last edited by Thaddeus_Hewitt; 02-11-2014 at 02:24 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Yup, I think you and King would have had a much easier time if your dad hadn't cropped his ears. You could easily say that he is some kind of chocolate lab/mastiff mix, but those cropped ears scream "I'M A PITBULL!"

As a professional who deals with dogs, your father really should have known better. I'd have been pissed too.

Looks like you're going to have to be legit about it, because there's no getting around the fact that your dog is a pitbull. He's a beauty, though!

Old 02-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Yup, I think you and King would have had a much easier time if your dad hadn't cropped his ears. You could easily say that he is some kind of chocolate lab/mastiff mix, but those cropped ears scream "I'M A PITBULL!"

As a professional who deals with dogs, your father really should have known better. I'd have been pissed too.

Looks like you're going to have to be legit about it, because there's no getting around the fact that your dog is a pitbull. He's a beauty, though!
You're so right..LOL.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:49 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Definitely a beautiful dog. I hope you and King find a nice home. I agree that a house would be a better situation.

I would let the potential landlord m know you have a large dog and would like them to meet the dog prior to making the decision to rent to you. You may want to research renter's insurance and discuss coverage for King (as an aggressive breed). It may cost you, but showing that you have done the research and being willing to pay the insurance may endear you to a potential landlord.

I've had more luck being honest than trying to sneak things by people.

You might also want to contact a licensed registered breeder in the Atlanta area and ask for some tips. Good breeders are always looking for responsible owners to help advance a positive perception of their breed.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
As long as you take care to ensure that your dog never harms or threatens any other human being or pet I don't see what the problem is.
He doesn't. He's a big Barney literally. He mixes well with other pets and when it comes to me having company over he stays in the room unless he's called and even if he's called he doesn't jump on you unless of course the person is a thief or something or if he hasn't seen me in a long time.The way I trained him along with my Dad is to be friendly but protective at the same time. He has trained with some very elite military dogs as well.He's very smart. Of course all of that takes work and dedication and an owner who is willing to treat their dog right. You have to understand a dog psychologically as well as physically.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Definitely a beautiful dog. I hope you and King find a nice home. I agree that a house would be a better situation.

I would let the potential landlord m know you have a large dog and would like them to meet the dog prior to making the decision to rent to you. You may want to research renter's insurance and discuss coverage for King (as an aggressive breed). It may cost you, but showing that you have done the research and being willing to pay the insurance may endear you to a potential landlord.

I've had more luck being honest than trying to sneak things by people.

You might also want to contact a licensed registered breeder in the Atlanta area and ask for some tips. Good breeders are always looking for responsible owners to help advance a positive perception of their breed.
I definitely don't won't to lie..I'm currently looking at some homes now. Want to stay near Atlanta business districts or edge districts as much as possible but in the same sense stay in a nice neighborhood. I am definitely going to take what everyone is saying into consideration.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:25 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Insurance probably won't be a problem.

I got a dog that is a mixed breed, definitely with some kind of bully breed in her (they say American bulldog...but it's all the same to most people even though there are very real differences within the bully breeds). But she's a mutt, so who knows, probably some pit in there, too.

Anyway, when I got her, I called State Farm and said listen, I just got a dog that is probably part pit, do I need to take out any special insurance? They looked it up and said nope, you're covered. It varies by state, but apparently in Georgia, at least State Farm makes no distinction between dog breeds....or seemingly even owning a dog at all, as it didn't add anything to my premium. I tried to get a discount because I argued nobody would break into this house with this dog here, but they weren't biting at that either, so I guess fair is fair.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:35 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Insurance probably won't be a problem.

I got a dog that is a mixed breed, definitely with some kind of bully breed in her (they say American bulldog...but it's all the same to most people even though there are very real differences within the bully breeds). But she's a mutt, so who knows, probably some pit in there, too.

Anyway, when I got her, I called State Farm and said listen, I just got a dog that is probably part pit, do I need to take out any special insurance? They looked it up and said nope, you're covered. It varies by state, but apparently in Georgia, at least State Farm makes no distinction between dog breeds....or seemingly even owning a dog at all, as it didn't add anything to my premium. I tried to get a discount because I argued nobody would break into this house with this dog here, but they weren't biting at that either, so I guess fair is fair.
I'm talking about the insurance for the apartment community, not a private policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta