Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:57 PM

322 posts, read 465,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No, I did not.
Oh, I blew it then...

I should have said, with a straight face: What humor! I was not being humorous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:04 PM

322 posts, read 465,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Although, because Georgia's politicians have tended to run completely off-the-rails at times over the last decade and at many points during Georgia's history, the most appropriate location for our 'slightly' out-of-touch state government to meet would likely be at the Central State Hospital psychiatric complex in Milledgeville (which ironically is where Georgia's state capital was located until 1868).
That would be the appropriate venue, except it has been closed for several years.

Central State Hospital (Milledgeville, Georgia) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-13-2014, 10:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We do have an impressive government campus. Starting with the Capitol complex, the judicial buildings and all the state office buildings, rolling on down pass Atlanta city hall and city hall annex, Georgia plaza, the huge multi-block Fulton county complex, the Nunn and Russell federal buildings, the old Post office, and all the auxiliary gubmint buildings.

Once they get the MMTP finished it will jump on across the railroad tracks to the GWCC, Centennial park and the new dome.

The commitment of all these governments to stay downtown has been a mainstay in keeping it alive for over half a century.
We like to knock Mississippi but it has a nice Capitol grounds.

California's is good too.

Those are more like what Georgia's should look like.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:52 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
I remember some discussions about this YEARS ago... like when I was a child. Don't know how serious they ever were or if someone was pipe dreaming like the OP here. I remember Macon being mentioned as it is in the center of the state.

Atlanta is one of the few MAJOR cities in the country that is also the state capital. Denver, Phoenix, Boston... not many more on that list.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Keep in mind, the OP mentioned forgetting reality (though misspelling that word). Atlanta is not in danger of losing it's capital status and probably never will be. At least not in our lifetimes.

My pick, for geographic purposes would be a toss up between Macon and Milledgeville.
Savannah is also an important city in Georgia and could re-claim the title in this imaginary scenario.
It could actually do the state good as state government is pretty bias and unbalanced when it comes to Atlanta versus rural Georgia. Most everyone forgets about the happy medium which are the "2nd tier" Georgia cities.

BTW, to the person that said Milledgeville was "fairly central".... really? Milledgeville is just about as central as you can get in the state. Twiggs County is the geographic center of the state which is just a hop over Wilkinson County from Baldwin.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:38 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Wow, Connecticut got it right.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:08 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Wow, Connecticut got it right.
yeah, i got curious earlier and was taking a look at some state capitol buildings; i was definitely impressed by that one.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:12 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
yeah, i got curious earlier and was taking a look at some state capitol buildings; i was definitely impressed by that one.
I always liked Pennsylvania's State Capitol. Especially covered in snow. Interestingly enough, I've never seen a picture of it. Only seen it in person.
North Dakota's is just weird. A modern building that's the tallest in their state.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:24 AM

i hope i'm not derailing the thread, but state capitols are some pretty fascinating buildings. for some reason i never thought of looking them up (i've only been to a few), and i've found a few that are really cool.

i love the international style; one of my favourite buildings is a regions building in gainesville, but for a state capital it seems an odd choice. here's hawaii's state capitol:

i know most of us don't think about iowa as being an interesting state (until the primaries every four years), but iowa's state capitol is probably one of the most impressive out there:

louisiana's art deco state capitol is certainly unique, but seems like it would fit better in an urban area:

nebraska's looks like a prison, or fort knox:

new mexico and alaska are definitely tied for "worst":

Old 02-14-2014, 12:30 AM

and new york's capitol features much of the same fascinating western european influences as connecticut's:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta