Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:41 AM

215 posts, read 379,028 times

Advertisements

So, a friend from Los Angeles emailed me their opinion on the 96 opening Olympic ceremony. I'm saddened by their thoughts and review. I posted the video to the opening ceremony below. My friend emailed me the following.

"These are all reasons why LA hosted the Olympics with higher quality than Atlanta"!

1) Tacky dancing is displayed throughout the video from high schools...

2) The announcer at 1:52 said "And here come the pick up trucks, which will be used for the purpose of theatrical lighting. You can see the lights mounted on the trucks, but of course in the south, the pick up truck is valued as more than a means of convenience. How else to explain a #1 country hit by Joe Diffy called pick up man".

3) At 5:20 "how yall doin" being spelled out.

4) At 5:39 the announcer states "you know there was some concern here, a lot of people in Atlanta wanted to make sure the ceremonies projected sophistication. After all, there are more fortune 500 companies in Atlanta than any other city except NY, Chicago and Houston. And they are sensitive to characterization as these olympic games known as the "BUBBA GAMES". On the other hand they do this unsubconsciously and I think it is right. They give a friendly welcome that is prototypically southern. They know this city doesn't have the cultural texture of Barcelona, the centuries own architecture, it has it's own distinctive feel. And they believe they are an international city, but with nothing to apologize for with what is southern and known to their region."

Personally, I think Atlanta did a great job. I don't see how they gave us a "lower quality" Olympics. They represented our country well IMHO! Thoughts? Opinions?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Po9AV3p...%3DPo9AV3p7qkU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 06:48 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
i've gone back and watched it, and cringed. i don't think it would be the same if we did it today. i liked the gospel choir fine, but the pickup trucks... ugh.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:59 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,515,591 times
I liked the 1996 Opening Ceremony a lot.

I loved how they celebrated Southern Culture and we're not ashamed of showing elements of Southern traits, speech, and everyday-life.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:05 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i've gone back and watched it, and cringed. i don't think it would be the same if we did it today. i liked the gospel choir fine, but the pickup trucks... ugh.
I was thinking the same thing after I went back and watched it again. It would be better if it was done today, but the flip side of that is, Atlanta wouldn't be what it is today if it weren't for the Olympics. Would Atlanta still have the same recognition and growth if it weren't for the Olympics?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Most of the complaints I heard were about the pickup trucks and cheerleaders. On one video, a cheerleader was fading during an attempted lift of his girl.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I was thinking the same thing after I went back and watched it again. It would be better if it was done today, but the flip side of that is, Atlanta wouldn't be what it is today if it weren't for the Olympics. Would Atlanta still have the same recognition and growth if it weren't for the Olympics?
I think it would. The questionable value of the Olympics to a city is a frequent topic of analysis.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:49 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Atlanta was booming when it got the Olympics.The difference is that it became a city to live in more than a place to just stay.The quality of the city was enhanced because city leaders and residents became more concerned about what the city looked liked to people visited.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Most of The Opening was great, the announcer was terrible, During that time a lot people on the coasts and up north had animosity of Atlanta winning over them.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:58 AM

567 posts, read 889,460 times
For sure it would be different if was done today, but for the most part I think it was a pretty awesome opening for its time. Very energetic and it really characterized the city at the time. If anything it seems as if they really personified the old "the city too busy to hate" slogan.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Atlanta was booming when it got the Olympics.The difference is that it became a city to live in more than a place to just stay.The quality of the city was enhanced because city leaders and residents became more concerned about what the city looked liked to people visited.
What sent them into a panic was when they visited Barcelona. Atlanta knew it had to up its game then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta