Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:56 AM

7 posts, read 6,912 times

Advertisements

We are not in private school. lastminutemom is correct.
sigh...thanks to everyone who has weighed in thus far. My takeaway is what my gut has been telling me (it's not about me anymore - lol!) but yes, probably better to be closer to school.
oh how I miss being 20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:09 AM

I also want to add that this commute will only be 3 days per week (c'mon there's got to be someone out there who will buy into my backwards thinking!!).
Brookhaven is also an option but it kind of confuses me!

Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney93 View Post
I also want to add that this commute will only be 3 days per week (c'mon there's got to be someone out there who will buy into my backwards thinking!!).
Where in Sandy Springs do you live...do you live south of I-285 (inside of the I-285 Perimeter) or north of I-285 (outside of the I-285 Perimeter)?

Quote:
Brookhaven could potentially be a good option for you, how does it confuse you?

Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 AM

Well...I currently live in the "Thriving Divorce Metropolis" of Perimeter Mall! And somehow my life just doesn't have that 'Melrose Place Vibe' I'm hearing about! Maybe it's because I don't look like Heather Locklear? So maybe someone can invite me to one of those pool party ragers?!

Anyway...Brookhaven confuses me because it seems like a place that's trying to figure out what it is but hasn't yet. It also seems young in terms of who lives there too. I love the architecture of the new builds, but can't really afford them. It's convenient (or more convenient)to SS than Morningside, but I just love the true historic charm of Morningside.

Just trying to flesh this whole thing out. It keeps me from working! But I do need to make a decision kinda quickly.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 AM

550 posts, read 988,974 times
Quote:
Sorry you aren't getting the response you want, but I really agree with the majority here. I think the added stress of dealing with the constant time in the car is not good for anyone, and also not fair to the kids when there are other options.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
Re: the "Melrose Place" thing, I was joking (kind of). Honestly, though, my friend was telling me about some dating intrigue going on there that sounded like something off a TV show. If you're looking to live like you're in your 20's again, what could be more like it than that? LOL. Honestly, though, that complex has a grill and a pool and the people really do hang out together, grill out, get drinks at Fleming's, etc... I'm not sure how that's any less exciting than what might be going on in similar place ITP unless you're really looking for a "clubbing" atmosphere. If you can still handle that in your 40's, more power to you! But you'll need lots more caffeine for those long rides back and forth taking the kids to and from school.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM

Actually I'm not looking for that lifestyle at all but I get the joke! I want a 'front porch community' as opposed to a 'backyard one.' I love the walkability and the friendliness of the people in town, not to mention (sorry if this offends anyone) a higher level of acceptance of various lifestyles. I think that's important for my kids to see that as well. I know, I'm trying to justify the lifestyle in exchange for commuting hell, and I know I should listen to you all. You're smarter than me and I'm vulnerable!
This is my first time posting on here though and I can see why people come here. It really is so helpful. Thanks again.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:17 AM

550 posts, read 988,974 times
Quote:
Actually I'm not looking for that lifestyle at all but I get the joke! I want a 'front porch community' as opposed to a 'backyard one.' I love the walkability and the friendliness of the people in town, not to mention (sorry if this offends anyone) a higher level of acceptance of various lifestyles. I think that's important for my kids to see that as well. I know, I'm trying to justify the lifestyle in exchange for commuting hell, and I know I should listen to you all. You're smarter than me and I'm vulnerable!
This is my first time posting on here though and I can see why people come here. It really is so helpful. Thanks again.
I get it. I would love to live ITP. But I have 3 kids including one with special needs and so here we are. I hope you can find a good fit.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:20 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
she shares custody. Guessing that the father lives in the district -- if they aren't private.
Ah. You pay better attention to the fine print than I do! I think my geriatric eyes need new glasses.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
Divorced people in their 40s with kids really live all over Atlanta b/c, no matter what their lifestyle, they all want to live near their children. They end up meeting other singles at work, at church, through their married friends...and at their kids' extracurricular activities and school events. Think of it as a *bonus* for your social life to live near your children's school.

If you live far from their school, which is the hub of their world, you will quickly become the subordinate parent. Your ex who lives in the school zone will be the parent who is in the loop, who knows their friends and teachers, who is able to be there in a time of need. This is why divorced parents fight to live as close as possible to their kids. But you already know this. I can tell by the beautiful post you wrote above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta