Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:00 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Everyone wants to be addressed Atlanta, but not pay the taxes. Its BS and they should not be allowed to use Atlanta unless they are in CoA.
It works both ways, though. The city of Atlanta gets tremendous credibility from its vast suburbs. After all, that's where something like 93% of the population lives.

Without them what would Atlanta be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 11:32 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It works both ways, though. The city of Atlanta gets tremendous credibility from its vast suburbs. After all, that's where something like 93% of the population lives.

A city of 450,000 to whom no one would pay much attention.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

They wouldn't exist without Atlanta's tremendous success after the Civil War. But that's another discussion.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:56 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
People seem to forget that most cities around the world exist with a fraction of the amount of suburbs that the US has because we heavily subsidize the suburbs here.

If your hypothetical scenario where the suburbs disappeared there would be a rush of people moving into the city to take all the open jobs at the large companies located in the city. Or if you hypothetical scenario is that Atlanta was surrounded by un-build-able land, then Atlanta would be a much denser city with a slightly smaller population.

The suburbs without Atlanta however would never amount to much more than a rural town with a few hundred people.

Downtown Atlanta before the rise of the suburbs:

However, I am glad we can provide the option of suburban living to people in Atlanta Metro. We just need to stop doing so at the expense of the city. And it is changing.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:19 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Blaze View Post
Thanks for the explanation guys. I recently moved here from the Dallas metro (Lewisville) and the cities there had no problem claiming properties as their own lol. It's going to be interesting to see which areas of the metro Googles decides on.
Use the link in my previous post.

There is a reason for this.

The heavily populated suburbs to the north of Dallas use a separate SCF facility called North Texas TX. If you live in Lewisville, Plano, Richardson, Garland, Carrolton, Irving, etc... you probably would have seen that stamped in ink on the top of some of the letters you received.

They can't properly address themselves as Dallas [SCF], just Like a Fortune 500 company in Gwinnett near Duluth can't address itself as Atlanta.

Technically in Dallas the few places of any relevance that can call themselves Dallas as an address is Mesquite, Desoto, Lancaster and University Park. Of course Dallas' Southern suburbs aren't exactly booming.

Unlike Dallas, Atlanta has small city limits and lots of unincorporated land. Therefore the USPS is bound to have a SCF that serves a much larger area.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:40 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
To prevent confusion generated from this article, as well as a few comments from other posters earlier in this thread, I want to show link: Broadband Map - Technology - National Broadband Map

Fiber to the end user already exists in our region for most premium business properties, so long as they are willing to pay for it. This might include paying for the last-mile fiber connection, unlike how most of us experience things as a home user where the cable is right outside on the street.

It is also worth noting a few of the places served on that map are apartment complexes, which will take their signal, split it, slow it down, and resell it for a profit through a 3rd part company. People don't actually get fiber speeds.

Even though most the metro area isn't shaded, most of Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter to Cumming Corridor, Cumberland, Northlake, and the I-85/316 area where most of Gwinnett's non Peachtree Corners premium offices are.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:20 PM

276 posts, read 430,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Off topic, but out of curiosity, are they changing the zip to 30339 like they have done for parts of Marietta like the IBM Building at the end of Windy Hill and parts of Windy Ridge? Also, do you think the motivation for changing is so that the new Braves stadium will be located in Atlanta instead of Smyrna? I have always had confusion about the unincorporated area of Atlanta that is in Cobb County and how it seems to spread based on what major players prefer to say the location is Atlanta.
They are changing the zip code for this part of "Smyrna" to "Atlanta" for a few reasons. 1. The local HOAs petitioned the post office to do so. They said that this area is more aligned with Vinings or 30339 than Smyrna or the bulk of 30080. 2. The post office looked into it and determined it would be cheaper for them to serve this area using the 30339 post office than that 30080 one. Personally, I look forward to going to Akers Mill, which is much closer, than all the way to Windy Hill if I have to pick uppackages.

The Braves stadium is already being located in an area with the 30339 zipcode.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:26 PM

276 posts, read 430,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
You live in unincorporated Cobb. Right now they are only considering places within the city limits (Of a few metro cities including Atlanta and Smyrna). Not places just with a certain address. Unincorporated areas will probably get it much later. They are just now beginning to consider unincorporated counties near Kansas City where Fiber launched.
That is what I initially thought; however, I went to the website to inquire about availability and got this response "Atlanta and Smyrna could get Google Fiber". The email they sent me said to tell my neighbors and essentially lobby the local government.

As you have to enter your address on the Google page, I'm hoping they are going by something more that just city limits. If anybody should know my address is unincorporated Cobb County it should the the engineers/data scientists at Google. That would be a simple address database.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:19 PM

197 posts, read 515,905 times
After reading this article it sounds like Sandy Springs is going to blow this opportunity. They're already whining about the cost of providing the information Google needs and think of themselves as too high and mighty to bend their rules to some of Google's needs. They'll pay a million dollars for some small, crappy piece of property off of Roswell Rd so they can build this ridiculous town center, but they can't spend $50k to bring something to the community that would actually be useful. What a bunch of fools...

Old 03-15-2014, 07:10 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Those folks up in Sandy springs run a pretty tight ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta