Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:36 PM

858 posts, read 1,384,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The whole of America was just as guilty of the Jim Crow stuff?
Are you serious? Of course they were. Just because other parts the country beat the South to abolishing slavery and segregation by a few decades doesn't mean they never did it at all. Has American History really been that badly distorted by modern textbooks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:43 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Are you serious? Of course they were. Just because other parts the country beat the South to abolishing slavery and segregation by a few decades doesn't mean they never did it at all. Has American History really been that badly distorted by modern textbooks?
I didn't say they didn't do it at all. I said they didn't do it equally.

Segregation in the south was de jure and was forcibly mandated by the state, there was zero rights or freedoms for black people. In the north there was a patchwork of restrictive ordinances and such but generally it was left up to individuals and businesses to either segregate or not.

Furthermore, the origin of Jim Crow laws was in large part due to the south's absolute refusal to accept black people as citizens during reconstruction.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:12 PM

858 posts, read 1,384,895 times
I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were disagreeing with his point that the North was also guilty.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:13 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
This part of your post is really where the magnitude of your ignorance shines through.

You REALLY think blacks were not worse off in the south before WW2?

The whole of America was just as guilty of the Jim Crow stuff?

REALLY???

It is you who lacks understanding of this subject. First let me ask you if you have ever been to the north??? If you have you would realize that much of the north is very segregated, even today. Black people live in run down urban areas like Detroit or Chicago, while the white people live in suburbs and rural areas. If you visit a rural area in the north you do not see black people. Jim Crow was never necessary in the north, the area was so completely segregated by place of residence that white people really did not have to come into contact with black people. Like I said even today that is true. Also the black people of the north had far less job prospects, and they were paid less when they were hired in the pre WW2 era. The people of the north, especially the Midwest have a long history of racism. Many race riots were started by the aggression of the white people in the north, Chicago in the teens, Detroit in the 40s (during the war) and of course the mother of all riots in America, the New York city draft riots in 1863. Black people were assaulted and murdered in the streets of New York because they were blamed for the civil war, and white people also feared competing with them for jobs. Indiana was one of Americas largest KKK states in the 1920s, and its members were key members of that states government. KKK membership was large throughout the Midwest. Funny how Mississippi is the first thing people think of when the KKK is mentioned, but much of the Midwest also has a very long history with the KKK. Racism was everywhere in America up until WW2, then things began to change slowly. Northern text books have taught about "southern racism" for generations, and hollywierd has done its part to project an image of the south as a racist backward place. Reality is racism has come from all parts of America. There still is some racism, from all ethnic groups.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:35 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If you visit a rural area in the north you do not see black people. Jim Crow was never necessary in the north, the area was so completely segregated by place of residence that white people really did not have to come into contact with black people.
i don't agree with most of what he says, but he's got a point here. up until the great migration in the 1920s, black people were honestly rare to find outside of the south. since virtually all black americans up to that point had been slaves or descendants of slaves, it was much more likely to find them in areas where slavery had previously been legal.

even in modern times, almost all the black population in the united states is concentrated in the southeast united states:

so danielj72 does have a point on that note: segregation in the north may have been as practical as having separate buildings for men and women in a convent. who's going to use the men's building?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
As much as I hate to admit it, this post does have a point.

And maybe the north did not have as harsh a segregation law for black people as the south...simply because in the north, there were not many black people to segregate against.

And this post simply speaks to the sad reality, that a lot of people in this country are capable of being just as tribalistic and violently reactionary...as the citizenry of any typical third world nation, that is often engulfed in continuous conflict.

I hope that there comes a day when the people of the U.S.A. evolve beyond the atavistic behaviors of our ancestors.

I dream of a day in which this country truly evolves into a nation governed by the rule of law and not by the petty whims of men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It is you who lacks understanding of this subject. First let me ask you if you have ever been to the north??? If you have you would realize that much of the north is very segregated, even today. Black people live in run down urban areas like Detroit or Chicago, while the white people live in suburbs and rural areas. If you visit a rural area in the north you do not see black people. Jim Crow was never necessary in the north, the area was so completely segregated by place of residence that white people really did not have to come into contact with black people. Like I said even today that is true. Also the black people of the north had far less job prospects, and they were paid less when they were hired in the pre WW2 era. The people of the north, especially the Midwest have a long history of racism. Many race riots were started by the aggression of the white people in the north, Chicago in the teens, Detroit in the 40s (during the war) and of course the mother of all riots in America, the New York city draft riots in 1863. Black people were assaulted and murdered in the streets of New York because they were blamed for the civil war, and white people also feared competing with them for jobs. Indiana was one of Americas largest KKK states in the 1920s, and its members were key members of that states government. KKK membership was large throughout the Midwest. Funny how Mississippi is the first thing people think of when the KKK is mentioned, but much of the Midwest also has a very long history with the KKK. Racism was everywhere in America up until WW2, then things began to change slowly. Northern text books have taught about "southern racism" for generations, and hollywierd has done its part to project an image of the south as a racist backward place. Reality is racism has come from all parts of America. There still is some racism, from all ethnic groups.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:31 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I dream of a day in which this country.....
^^^ Your, "I have a dream" speech. LOL

Okay, Rev. Dr. AcidSnake Jr.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:29 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Free at last, free at last, THANK GOD ALMIGHTY we are free at last!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
^^^ Your, "I have a dream" speech. LOL

Okay, Rev. Dr. AcidSnake Jr.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:26 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times
Don't agree with him so quickly, he actually has it wrong. People of all races live in both the city and the suburbs of Chicago. Native Chicagoan here.

Also, what he is talking about is redlining (or something like that). This was a practice of discriminating (whether whites against blacks or blacks against whites) with regard to steering potential real estate buyers to certain areas. It happened within the city and in the suburbs. For example, there were areas in Chicago that were traditionally occupied by Irish (or Polish or African-Americans or Latinos or Asian, just take your pick). The unspoken message was if you were Irish, you did not buy where the Polish live, etc.

But no, all groups of people in Chicago lived in the city. It was not city = African-Americans and suburbs = whites as the poster initiates. That's just plain wrong. There are still some areas in the city of Chicago that are where mostly Irish people live. Other parts that are mostly still Polish. You can tell somewhat by the street names. Over near Midway airport, in the city, on the SOUTHSIDE, it is still almost all white. I think Polish, although I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
As much as I hate to admit it, this post does have a point.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Well Chicago is pretty racist at the moment. So is Boston. So yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta