Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:58 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,281,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Unfortunately, the entire country has racists. I grew up in eastern PA and there were a lot of skinheads there in poorer areas. Here in GA, there are neo-confederates in rural areas. And my cousins in run down areas of central Michigan use the "N" word more than an 1850's slave market owner in rural Mississippi. We can only hope that time and education lowers the percentage of these people in our society.
No you are wrong! Racism like that does not exist, it is all in your mind and those race baiters! <rolls eyes sarcastically>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 04:58 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,360,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else get annoyed by posters writing off an entire state by the behavior of a minority of it's citizens?
Thank you!
--Resident of Alabama

Old 03-13-2014, 05:03 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,938,934 times
What states in included in the Bible Belt? Where are the Preachers?

Old 03-13-2014, 05:36 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,281,739 times
The Confederates of Pennslyvania shall rise again! <sarcastically speaking of course>

Old 03-13-2014, 07:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,826,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
What states in included in the Bible Belt? Where are the Preachers?
Saddleback Church in Orange County, CA is the largest Southern Baptist congregation in the United States.

Las Vegas was founded by Mormons and reportedly has more churches per capita than any other major city in America.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:51 PM

3,660 posts, read 2,493,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
flown throughout the late 1800s until today to support the genocide of blacks, jews,..
to fly the "battle flag" only points to one idea: that america was better off when white people were the only ones that had any rights.
Bryant, Hi..
Jews actually were well established legally & culturally in the South, both before & during the Civil War.. Louisiana had a large Jewish population, Charleston SC hosted (& still hosts) one of the oldest synagogues in America (Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim). One of the Confedracy's highest ranking cabinet members was a Jewish man (Judah Benjamin).
There was nothing explicitly (or implicitly) anti-Semitic in the design of the Confederate States, or their flags. What 'genocide of Jews' are you referring to, when u cite a connection to the Confederate Battle flag(?) If anything, a case could be made against the Union (& by extension it's flag) as demonstrating the most institutional anti-Semitism of the war (Grant's General order 11).

To me, it seems the Confederate flag(s) have unfairly become the scapegoated symbol of every American racial sin.. peace

Old 09-19-2014, 06:05 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,658,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus_Hewitt View Post
Confederate flag approved for specialty license plate in Georgia - CBS News I just wish we could all just let the past stay in the past and live peacefully amongst each other like Jesus intended for us. This whole issue caused a terrible violent riot back in 2002 when I was in middle school living in South Georgia. What started out as a normal friendship picture day quickly escalated into Civil War 2. Eventually students that weren't a minority had to be evacuated..There was so much tension afterwards. There are two sides to every story but honestly I wish this confederate flag issue would just die away. I really don't like it because of what my older grandparents seen and went through. It's just a chilling reminder of the old south for them who had to watch their friends and families get killed under this flag. It also opens up old wounds of when I was growing up in South Georgia. It wasn't just white against black it was black against white as well. You want to believe that racism is over with until this flag issue comes up again and again..

I will start by saying that the absence of evidence is NOT....evidence of absence. The past is prologue when it comes to race in America. Racism is not a thing of the past, rather, its the legacy of our past. The confederate flag is part of that racist legacy. That is southern white history and in this country they have a right to embrace their history as much as do we, as African Americans.

Not displaying the confederate flag is not evidence of the absence of such attitudes that the flag represents. Its asymmetrical racism and hatred vs symmetrical racism and hatred. Its akin to asymetrical warfare (gorilla warfare) vs symmetrical warfare (conventional war with clearly delineated opposition). Is it better to see your enemy or to have your enemy cloaked? A confederate flag is simply the uniform of black opposition, for the most part. Whether one is actually opposed to blacks or not, if you done the uniform of black opposition and oppression, you have CHOSEN to be anti-black.

We live in the age of deception. Many things are not real and genuine anymore. Most everyone is covering up or masking reality to be accepted or to not be rejected. Racism is one of those things that people now hide and mask....when back in the day they did not because such attitudes were socially acceptable then.

As I said though.....that is THEIR history and if they are proud of it that is their right and prerogative. One just has to make the choice of whether they want to live in such a place were people are proud to display such sentiments. I say bust a cap, leave....or surrender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta