Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:52 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I won't debate whether people have the "right" to display a license plate with the Confederate flag. I will however comment on the poor taste and tone deafness associated with doing it.

First, this notion that the Confederacy and the Confederate flag are divorced from slavery and racism is complete nonsense. The southern states seceding was squarely about the election of Lincoln and rise of the "Radical Republicans" and the growing political power of abolitionists. To say the Civil War was about "states' rights" is like saying the US joining WWII was about "naval base security" or 9/11/2001 was about "architectural destruction."

When you then look at further historical context of Reconstruction and into the mid-20th century and the civil rights era, the Confederate flag was used by the KKK and southerners as a symbol of segregation, Jim Crow, and racism.

Frankly, could you imagine the German gov't putting swastikas on license plates of German veterans of WWII? After all, it's a part of their "heritage"...right?
I agree with everything you have said but especially the bold. Let's stop playing games and just admit that the confederate flag is a symbol of some combo of white supremacy and racism. Maybe (and I'm using the term loosely) some don't want it to be, but it just is. Denial is not your friend.

The first time I went to Douglasville was the first time I'd seen confederate flags prominently displayed from houses. I found it unsettling that it appeared I had hopped in a time machine and was driving through Dixieland. I do not wish I was in the land of cotton and a good time there while not forgotten was clearly not had by all.

Since then, I have been thoroughly desensitized about it and as a result, don't care about the flag on the tag. To hell with it, mount up and let me know who I'm dealing with at a glance.

Last edited by ElleKaye; 02-21-2014 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 07:57 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times

Old 02-21-2014, 07:59 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
To hell with it, mount up and let me know who I'm dealing with at a glance.
That's the thing for me. Do people have the "right" to display the Confederate flag or put that license plate on their car. Sure they do.

Do I and other people have the right then to draw certain conclusions and view you in a certain way? Sure we do.

You may not care what I or anyone else thinks, and that's fine. I can respect the intellectual honesty of the guy who wears a white robe and walks down the street yelling "WHITE POWER" since at least there is no ambiguity about where he stands. He has his views and isn't trying to be mealy mouthed about it.

What I do not respect are the people who try to sell this notion that somehow what the Confederacy did was noble and honorable, and people are just "honoring their heritage" or some similar euphemism. It's a part of our American history, but it's certainly not something to be celebrated.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:17 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
To be PC is the view supporting the flag of treason, not opposing.

It has no place.
Merriam-Webster defines PC as
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Merriam-Webster
agreeing with the idea that people should be careful to not use language or behave in a way that could offend a particular group of people
So, I'd say anti-flag is being PC.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:30 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I was frankly shocked that the state would even consider this. It should be obvious to anyone but a total pinhead what kind of emotions this image conjures. Why go there?
Totally agree. Apparently you can get them in Virginia and North Carolina, too.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:49 AM

858 posts, read 1,385,459 times
Quote:
I'm also surprised some people don't have the common sense to see what's pretty obvious.
Agreed! For example, it's obvious that stressing out over a license plate accomplishes nothing. Just think of all the things that could be improved if people took half the energy they waste by being offended and put it toward problems that actually have an impact on people's lives (crime, poverty, health awareness, care for the elderly, community improvement...).

Then again if cable TV is any indication I guess people just need a little drama in their lives.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:04 AM

463 posts, read 559,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Agreed! For example, it's obvious that stressing out over a license plate accomplishes nothing. Just think of all the things that could be improved if people took half the energy they waste by being offended and put it toward problems that actually have an impact on people's lives (crime, poverty, health awareness, care for the elderly, community improvement...).

Then again if cable TV is any indication I guess people just need a little drama in their lives.
You have to be kidding....it is precisely the mentality of those who are "ok" with this sort of thing that social issues here in Georgia never get addressed.

The same groups who promote pro-slavery icons such as the Confederate flag are the same people who are against any sort of funding of any program that may help "those people."

Ride on MARTA, it's as efficient as any public transportation system in the Northeast. Even more remarkable how well its run without any sort of state funding. If expanded, it has potential to truly transform this city into a world-class destination. But when you have ignorant NIMBY racists calling it Moving Africans Rapidly Throughout Atlanta and voting down any sort of expansion proposal, it is that mentality which holds Atlanta back and this latest stunt by the state government is yet another manifestation of the backwardness of Georgia and a good portion of its residents.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:23 AM

630 posts, read 1,265,220 times
The confederate flag emblem actually kind of disappeared after the Civil War. It only resurfaced as a symbol of "southern pride" during the Civil Rights movement when Georgia added it to our state flag in 1956 to protest Brown vs Board of education. I don't really have a problem with the flag being used to honor southerners who fought and died in the Civil War. I have ancestors who fought for the Confederacy and while I disagree with their reasons for fighting I admire their bravery. The Civil War was brutal and all who fought should be remembered.

What I have the problem with is what the flag stands for post 1950s, which is more relevant today. Any idiot who can open a book or check wikipedia can see that for a long time the flag was the banner for racists who fought tooth and nail to keep blacks from being fully integrated into society, often resorting to violent tactics. Why would any decent person want to fly a flag that evokes memories of that? Unless you're someone who secretly thinks segregation was pretty cool, but are too chicken to join the KKK and be done with it.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:06 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
I won't debate whether people have the "right" to display a license plate with the Confederate flag. I will however comment on the poor taste and tone deafness associated with doing it.

First, this notion that the Confederacy and the Confederate flag are divorced from slavery and racism is complete nonsense. The southern states seceding was squarely about the election of Lincoln and rise of the "Radical Republicans" and the growing political power of abolitionists. To say the Civil War was about "states' rights" is like saying the US joining WWII was about "naval base security" or 9/11/2001 was about "architectural destruction."

When you then look at further historical context of Reconstruction and into the mid-20th century and the civil rights era, the Confederate flag was used by the KKK and southerners as a symbol of segregation, Jim Crow, and racism.

Frankly, could you imagine the German gov't putting swastikas on license plates of German veterans of WWII? After all, it's a part of their "heritage"...right?
Totally agree, and there is a part of this that isn't being mentioned: The Confederate battle flag is a symbol of treason and sedition against the Constitution and the Republic. We should take note from the Germans and gather every single one of them up, burn them, then banish it forever.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:39 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:

Well Put man...!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta