Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:18 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,726,622 times

Advertisements

The Atlanta Falcons, Mayor Reed, and Georgia Legislature need to pay attention on how to build a successful downtown stadium. Two completely different stories of downtown baseball stadiums in Sunbelt cities.
How to Build a Successful Downtown Stadium - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,225,991 times
Let Arthur Blank pay for it. He's the one who will pocket the profits (if there are any), so let him take the risk.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Blank is the billionaire, not the city of Atlanta or the State of Georgia. The Dome is perfectly fine, who cares about hosting a Super Bowl, when we host the SEC Championship Game football and basketball, Chick-fil-a Bowl, and Chick-fil-a Kick off Game?

Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,504,787 times
The Dome is still a lovely stadium. Until those bums win a championship don't build ****. Why the hell do taxpayers need to pay for this? Why? It should be private unless profits go to taxpayers as well or we get discounted tickets and food.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:45 PM

594 posts, read 1,630,117 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with the Georgia Dome...granted it's been about 5 years since I've been to Atlanta, but it was still really nice and holding up very well when I was there, considering its age. I think they learned a lot of lessons from what happened to the Omni. I read that they had to put up chain link fence on the side of the arena so that people wouldn't crawl through the giant rust holes to watch events for free.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,565,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The Atlanta Falcons, Mayor Reed, and Georgia Legislature need to pay attention on how to build a successful downtown stadium. Two completely different stories of downtown baseball stadiums in Sunbelt cities.
How to Build a Successful Downtown Stadium - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities
Great link.

Makes me think about why the area near Turner Field hasn't been more successful more from a commercial standpoint. It's got a TAD, the short blocks, and all the possibilities to really be awesome.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:54 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,093,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Great link.

Makes me think about why the area near Turner Field hasn't been more successful more from a commercial standpoint. It's got a TAD, the short blocks, and all the possibilities to really be awesome.
Seems that Atlanta might be more like Phoenix. Atlanta's downtown is probably more distinct but it isn't Atlanta's center as Atlanta, like Phoenix, is polycentric. And even so, Turner Field is a good walk away from Downtown. And the areas around The Georgia Dome and Philips Arena feel cutoff from the city. The area around them doesn't feel inviting. Centennial Park at least helps.

So basically, Atlanta is polycentric and sprawling with its spread out urban forms. Turner Field is too far away from downtown and the immediate vicinities of the Georgia Dome and Philips Arena are concrete jungles with only Centennial Park being nearby.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,504,787 times
I've walked from Turner Field to Atlanta many times, its not that far. People in Atlanta would ****ing die walking in NYC, London or Tokyo. Its what a mile?

lol

Old 03-28-2012, 07:09 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,225,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
I've walked from Turner Field to Atlanta many times, its not that far. People in Atlanta would ****ing die walking in NYC, London or Tokyo. Its what a mile?

lol
It's a very easy walk fro Georgia State MARTA station. I always find it amusing (and extremely pathetic) that sports fans pay money to watch athletes, who have trained and worked out for tens of thousands of hours, while they themselves are so lazy that they whine and moan over the mere thought of walking on a sidewalk for 15 minutes to get to the stadium.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 AM

From Georgia State Station to Turner Field via Capital Ave is less than 1 mile. Not a bad walk and the old Capital Homes Housing Projects have since bee torn down. Capital Ave is well lit so there should be no problem of walking to the station. I think MARTA chose to bus fans to 5 Points Station so they can have accessibility to all lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta