Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 AM

925 posts, read 1,333,077 times

Advertisements

I think its just human to want to live (or be in a area with higher probability of meeting) and socialize with people in similar demograhic, it being color, religion, education, wealth, marital status, sex orientation etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 10:07 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
Are you white? If so then I can understand why you wouldn't think it matters, but it does. We do not live in a post-racial society and Atlanta (and the rest of the U.S.) is not color blind and IMO it doesn't serve anyone to pretend that it is. It is a perfectly legitimate question particularly for white parents raising children of color.
but

I agree with this.

About ten years ago we considered relocation to Atlanta. suburbs) We had bought into the whole "New South" propaganda, and wanted a warmer climate.

We seriously could not find a middle-upper middle class neighborhood that was diverse. There we very nice black subdivisions, and very nice white ones.

At least ten years ago, Atlanta seemed to remain segregated. When we asked our white realtor about a mixed neighborhood she asked " Do you want an African American subdivision?"

She looked confused. The concept seemed foreign to her. She was happy with "separate but equal" and we were white. We were just not used to living with only white Protestants. Although that's what we are.

We headed back north.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:40 AM

41 posts, read 72,149 times
As someone who asked for it on my moving to Atlanta post, I'm primarily concerned about having access to certain cultural things. We want to move somewhere that has a relatively large Asian population to make sure that our kids can attend Chinese school and so we don't have a 2 hour drive to an Asian market for specialty ingredients.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:56 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
but

I agree with this.

About ten years ago we considered relocation to Atlanta. suburbs) We had bought into the whole "New South" propaganda, and wanted a warmer climate.

We seriously could not find a middle-upper middle class neighborhood that was diverse. There we very nice black subdivisions, and very nice white ones.

At least ten years ago, Atlanta seemed to remain segregated. When we asked our white realtor about a mixed neighborhood she asked " Do you want an African American subdivision?"

She looked confused. The concept seemed foreign to her. She was happy with "separate but equal" and we were white. We were just not used to living with only white Protestants. Although that's what we are.

We headed back north.
Many Realtors in Atlanta tend to specialize in one area of the city and they themselves don't know all the options available. I assure you there were diversified neighborhoods in Atlanta 10 years ago - you just had the wrong realtor for your needs.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:27 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,198 times
That's not an Atlanta thing, that's a world issue...

Old 02-28-2014, 02:18 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
I think its just human to want to live (or be in a area with higher probability of meeting) and socialize with people in similar demograhic, it being color, religion, education, wealth, marital status, sex orientation etc
That is just one motivation that people have. It does not have to be the dominant motivator. "Diversity" does not always work well, but when it does work, I think it is preferable to the alternative. People just get too used to and comfortable with their own prejudices. You can sort of see that with how some folks use the web now--finding folks that think exactly the way they do to have "discussions" that really are just affirmations of their biases. Seeking out the "other", instead of avoiding it can be a healthy thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta