Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 PM

11 posts, read 23,884 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are going to be moving to the area. My wife will likely try to find a job downtown, but I will be working in Peachtree City. Where would a good spot for apartments or town homes that would be affordable for us? (800-1,000/mo) I know traffic is supposed to be terrible in Atlanta.... Will we be able to commute well enough for her to work downtown and I in Peachtree? We are thinking Union City area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 12:41 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
I'm confused. Didn't you just post this a couple of days ago?

Which of These Choices of Cities Would You Suggest?

At any rate, why not just look for a place to live in Peachtree City? It's a wonderful community. What does your wife do that would require her to seek employment downtown? There are plenty of jobs to be had on the Southside, in Fayette and Coweta counties, as well as the airport, which is only 20 minutes away.

Union City is pretty dismal. You don't want to live there.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Yeah - but I did not put atlanta in that list and thought I'd get more specific atl info on this forum here. Well she is a marketing major and would not require something downtown, but we'd need to be within commuting distance of downtown so that she has those job openings as possibilities to her.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:40 PM

Any other toughts? Really trying to consider living closer into atl and driving against traffic to peachtree Daily. Any thoughts on this or other suburbs to look into with tond of job opps for my fiance nearby?

Old 03-04-2014, 01:08 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadWolf1991 View Post
Any other toughts? Really trying to consider living closer into atl and driving against traffic to peachtree Daily. Any thoughts on this or other suburbs to look into with tond of job opps for my fiance nearby?
What kind of environment are you looking to live in, urban or suburban?

If you want to live in an active urban area where there is a lot going on at all times, then living in the city in Atlanta and reverse-commuting out to Peachtree City may not be such a bad idea.

If you want to live in a quiet suburban area (if enjoy mostly peace and quiet), then living in or closer to Peachtree City may be the best choice.

It all depends on what type of environment you and your wife are looking to live in.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:03 PM

We are looking to live in the active, urban area most likely. As long as the reverse-commute is doable. Based on your experience, do you think a reverse-commute is doable? Is South ATL a decent area?

Old 03-04-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
We are looking to live in the active, urban area most likely. As long as the reverse-commute is doable. Based on your experience, do you think a reverse-commute is doable? Is South ATL a decent area?
By South ATL, do you mean the south side of the city of Atlanta? The answer to that would be no.

College Park and East Point, which are adjacent to the airport, have some decent older, urban areas. But again, the line between safe and sketchy is sometimes blurred.

Sounds like you'd be happiest living in Downtown or Midtown ATL, and a reverse commute from there to PTC is absolutely doable -- though it would be about 40 minutes without traffic.

Where will your job be in PTC and what hours will you be working?

Old 03-04-2014, 03:34 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
We are looking to live in the active, urban area most likely. As long as the reverse-commute is doable. Based on your experience, do you think a reverse-commute is doable?
A reverse-commute is definitely doable as the commute on Interstate 85 southbound is pretty much a congestion-free commute south of the I-20.

Quote:
Is South ATL a decent area?
There are definitely some bright spots in South Atlanta (defined roughly as everything below the Interstate 20, which recognized by most as the dividing line between North Metro Atlanta and South Metro Atlanta).

Some intown areas on the rise on the Southside include:

...Historic downtown College Park...

...The West End area, which is home to the historically black colleges of the Atlanta University Center...

...Grant Park, which is home to Zoo Atlanta and the Atlanta Cyclorama and Civil War Museum...

...Historic East Atlanta Village, and...

...Glenwood Park.

There are also some good intown areas on the Northside that are somewhat close to the I-20 where a reverse-commute to and from Peachtree City would be possible, like:

Cabbagetown

Reynoldstown

Edgewood

Kirkwood

Little Five Points

Inman Park

Old Fourth Ward

Poncey-Highland

Virginia Highland

Midtown

West Midtown/Marietta Street/Howell Mill Road area, etc.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
By South ATL, do you mean the south side of the city of Atlanta? The answer to that would be no.

College Park and East Point, which are adjacent to the airport, have some decent older, urban areas. But again, the line between safe and sketchy is sometimes blurred.

Sounds like you'd be happiest living in Downtown or Midtown ATL, and a reverse commute from there to PTC is absolutely doable -- though it would be about 40 minutes without traffic.

Where will your job be in PTC and what hours will you be working?
Thank you guys so much for all of your help!
Yeah, we are considering the College Park area. If we can afford downtown or midtown ATL, I'm fine with the 45 minute commute as long as it doesnt turn into a 2hr commute with traffic. glad to hear its not bad reverse-commuting!

I will be working at Eaton Corporation in PTC. Looks like its right near Hw 74 and hw 54. I will be working the typical 8-5.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Thank you guys so much for all of your help!
Yeah, we are considering the College Park area. If we can afford downtown or midtown ATL, I'm fine with the 45 minute commute as long as it doesnt turn into a 2hr commute with traffic. glad to hear its not bad reverse-commuting!

I will be working at Eaton Corporation in PTC. Looks like its right near Hw 74 and hw 54. I will be working the typical 8-5.
Eaton is Cooper Lighting, right? That's pretty far down Peachtree City in the industrial park. Expect to add about 15 minutes commute time to those earlier estimates.

BTW ... a good friend of mine works at Cooper. I'm having lunch with her tomorrow. Mind telling me what you'll be doing there? I can ask her advice.

ALSO: I highly recommend you look in Newnan, about 15 minutes WEST of PTC in Coweta County. It's got a lot more affordable housing options than Fayette County, good shopping and restaurants, more nightlife than PTC and a really neat historic downtown. It's also right on I-85 and a quick shot up the freeway to ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta