Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:23 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the traffic is pretty bad during the day, even relatively far out. for example, i live in alpharetta, and it takes ~10 minutes to get from hwy 9 to 400 along windward parkway at around noon.

the worst traffic is usually along 75, 85, 400, and the north end of 285. if you're really concerned about traffic, i wouldn't live in a northern suburb.

that being said, if canton and cartersville are your only options, i'd probably go with canton.
My company also has a position in Newnan, but I read here on C-D that Newnan has grown by over 110% since 2000... I can't even imagine living there if it is continuing to grow at that rate.

We live in a small town where people generally live their entire lives and new people kind of come and go, but there is no real sustained growth like that. That is one reason why we are considering just staying where we are, even though the Atlanta area is so lovely and interesting. I don't want to be just another transplant causing the sprawl and congestion to get worse, and I truly do feel for the natives who have had to endure the influx over the past several decades.

ETA: I thought Newnan had extreme population growth, but I just read here that Canton has grown by over 208% since 2000! How in the world does a city deal with that kind of growth in such a short period of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 AM

143 posts, read 242,303 times
absolutely! I know 2 women that live in Cumming, GA. They have not been below exit 10 on 400 in close to 15 years (so they say). That means that not only have they not been to the city proper in 15 years, but they haven't even gone to any of the bordering suburbs in that long either.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:53 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
My company also has a position in Newnan, but I read here on C-D that Newnan has grown by over 110% since 2000... I can't even imagine living there if it is continuing to grow at that rate.

We live in a small town where people generally live their entire lives and new people kind of come and go, but there is no real sustained growth like that. That is one reason why we are considering just staying where we are, even though the Atlanta area is so lovely and interesting. I don't want to be just another transplant causing the sprawl and congestion to get worse, and I truly do feel for the natives who have had to endure the influx over the past several decades.

ETA: I thought Newnan had extreme population growth, but I just read here that Canton has grown by over 208% since 2000! How in the world does a city deal with that kind of growth in such a short period of time?

Newnan/Coweta County would also be good for you. You should look into it.

There are three reasons the growth rate for both cities seem so high:

1. Officially incorporated cities in Metro Atlanta and Georgia usually do not cover a large area--the area of the cities included in the growth rate and population is actually pretty small. A lot the territory in Metro Atlanta is unincorporated--meaning that many people may have a "Canton" or "Newnan" address, but they are not a part of the official population figures and growth rates for the cities.

2. Canton and Newnan both started out with fairly low population numbers.

3. Therefore, due to the small incorporated areas and the low initial populations, almost any kind of growth would basically make the growth rate seem sky high.

*Don't be alarmed...you would like Canton, Newnan, or Cartersville.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:59 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
There is a reason why it is called "Sprawlanta" with your huge highways that flow into tiny roads once you get into the city.
What a freaking mess but it's Georgia!
The thread was fine until you showed up. BTW, Miami-Fort Lauderdale isn't exactly innocent when it comes to sprawl, or is the continuing destruction of the Everglades for development just an illusion?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:12 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post

the answer is a lot of suburban housing, little to no transit, and the phenomena known as the 'stroad', combining the worst aspects of 'street' and 'road':

in short, not well. we've got catching up to do.

however, if you're looking for small town life where things don't change as quickly, you've got two options, either locate in one of the inner single family areas in town, or locate in a small town at the edge of the metro area.

i think you would probably like newnan.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:21 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
...that being said, if canton and cartersville are your only options, i'd probably go with canton.
I'd select Canton over Cartersville as well not because I think one is nicer than the other. Cartersville has more natives and seems like it would be harder to establish a new life when the social/familial circles are already many generations of set up.

I cannot think of any reason that you would need to leave any of the suburbs to head into Atlanta. Obviously if you wanted to for entertainment or what not, there's no reason not to drive in during off peak hours, but nothing is required that couldn't be resolved in your own city.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:29 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Thanks again for all of your thoughtful and helpful replies! I feel much better about the idea after reading all of the good input here. We did not visit Newnan when we were down that way last week, but we may in the future.

Again, it's kind of a "six of one, half dozen of the other" kind of thing, because we aren't unhappy where we are, it's just a matter of deciding what to do, and if we really want to move away from our immediate families and familiar surroundings. We love the Atlanta area though, so will still consider both options; staying here, or moving there. There's no hurry, as my company is a medical company, always has openings for RNs, and prefers to hire from within, meaning they would take me as a transfer anytime I wanted to come.

Thanks again to all of you!

Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 AM

229 posts, read 473,700 times
Nope. Can't do it. The only doctors, dentists, auto dealerships and shopping are in city limits of Atlanta only. You will NOT be able to do ANYTHING unless you go downtown.

Seriously, I live about 25 minutes from downtown (with no traffic) and I RARELY go downtown...for ANYTHING. As a matter of fact, I rarely leave the east side of my county. If you don't have a need to go downtown, then I wouldn't worry about what locale you live in. I live about 10 miles from work and it takes me about 20-25 minutes to get there...anytime of the day.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:17 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Live close to work is the key to living in metro Atlanta.

If you are working near Cartersville, live there. I work in the city and live in the city and my commute is traffic free and less than 15 mins. Trying to drive around between the suburbs more the 10 miles during rush hour will make you suicidal.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Live close to work is the key to living in metro Atlanta.

If you are working near Cartersville, live there. I work in the city and live in the city and my commute is traffic free and less than 15 mins. Trying to drive around between the suburbs more the 10 miles during rush hour will make you suicidal.
Trying to drive 10 miles in rush hour anywhere in the metro area will make you think twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta