Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:40 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I can tell you this...25 to 30 years ago, when I lived in the Atlanta area during the 1980s, you heard people describe things as "inside the perimeter" but more as a direction to give geographic context. The term "outside the perimeter" was again used more to give directions for areas such as Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Chamblee, Doraville, North Lake, etc. to give people who were driving via I-285 an understanding of where to exit the highway and which direction to go when they exited.

During those years I never heard anyone describe anything as "OTP" or "ITP" and in fact my sister bought a new construction home in Norcross when it was considered the sticks. Just about everything in 1983 was "inside the perimeter" but Gwinnett was the fastest growing county in the US and people were moving from the city and to the suburbs, or coming to Atlanta and settling in the suburbs. The suburbs were viewed in a positive light as the place where job growth was occurring and the place where you wanted to raise a family.

When I arrived back in Atlanta in 2007, all of a sudden there was this political connotation to "OTP" and "ITP" and folks like some on this forum who see everything literally in black and white and in suburban versus urban thinking. MARTA used to be a way to get to the Omni for a concert back in the 1980s, and later a way to get to the airport. Now it's a religion. Not sure Atlanta in 2014 is a better place than the one I lived in during the 1980s.
Having left for Texas ten years ago (but with family still in the area bringing me back on a regular basis) I heartily agree with your synopsis. Honestly I did not see much of an argument when I lived in the area, I have only seen it in full flame here on this board. Not that it isn't there, but many are much more forthcoming with their biases/prejudices on an anonymous online forum than what you will experience in true day to day life. And there are biases/prejudices running both ways for those who think it is only a one way street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
I have said many times the OTP/ITP thing is ridiculous.

There are many areas outside 285 that are far more developed and urban than many areas within 285.

And most of the city of Atlanta proper is car-dependent and most people drive.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:15 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

There are many areas outside 285 that are far more developed and urban than many areas within 285.

It is ridiculous. I can understand using the terms as a geographic landmark when giving directions, but beyond that their use is silly.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:27 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Having left for Texas ten years ago (but with family still in the area bringing me back on a regular basis) I heartily agree with your synopsis. Honestly I did not see much of an argument when I lived in the area, I have only seen it in full flame here on this board. Not that it isn't there, but many are much more forthcoming with their biases/prejudices on an anonymous online forum than what you will experience in true day to day life. And there are biases/prejudices running both ways for those who think it is only a one way street.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
It is ridiculous. I can understand using the terms as a geographic landmark when giving directions, but beyond that their use is silly.
OTP/ITP aren't just differing geographical areas.

...OTP and ITP are differing states of mind.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:49 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
OTP and ITP are differing states of mind.
I don't think that's true for everyone. I agree that it's true for some very vocal people on this forum where I think people assume that Atlanta is unique, and they ascribe qualities to "living ITP" that they associate with some kind of political perspective.

There are suburban people who seek out suburban living for political reasons too, but for me, I grew up in an apartment in NYC in an urban environment. I rode the subway and public bus to school every day for years. I rode the subway to get to Manhattan and around the city. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of that mess and own my own home with a backyard, and drive my own car. I like and appreciate a suburban lifestyle because I've lived an urban one.

It's very interesting that some who are from Atlanta describe places like NY as almost their ideal environment, while many people who've lived in NY and other urban places, can't wait to get the hell out of there and come to places like Cobb, Gwinnett, North Fulton, and Forsyth. There's a reason so many transplants of all ethnicities choose to come to Atlanta from places like Chicago and NY and to live OTP.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:02 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
It's very interesting that some who are from Atlanta describe places like NY as almost their ideal environment, while many people who've lived in NY and other urban places, can't wait to get the hell out of there and come to places like Cobb, Gwinnett, North Fulton, and Forsyth.
In all fairness, a lot of them like to settle in the city of Atlanta as well. It's also a great place to own your own home with a backyard, and drive your own car. You don't have to go to Cobb, north Fulton, Gwinnett or Forsyth for that.

That's another reason why this "ITP/OTP" thing is absurd.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:27 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
In all fairness, a lot of them like to settle in the city of Atlanta as well. It's also a great place to own your own home with a backyard, and drive your own car. You don't have to go to Cobb, north Fulton, Gwinnett or Forsyth for that.
I agree that you don't have to move to the suburbs, but in general, if you want affordable homes big enough to raise a family in, with decent schools, most people are looking in the suburbs.

I agree one size does not fit all, and my point is that where you live is much more situational than some political or social statement.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:33 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
OTP/ITP aren't just differing geographical areas.

...OTP and ITP are differing states of mind.
Au contraire. Some people ridiculously like to think so that but on the while it is unnecessary and not true.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:10 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
I don't think that's true for everyone. I agree that it's true for some very vocal people on this forum where I think people assume that Atlanta is unique, and they ascribe qualities to "living ITP" that they associate with some kind of political perspective.

There are suburban people who seek out suburban living for political reasons too, but for me, I grew up in an apartment in NYC in an urban environment. I rode the subway and public bus to school every day for years. I rode the subway to get to Manhattan and around the city. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of that mess and own my own home with a backyard, and drive my own car. I like a suburban lifestyle because I've lived an urban one.

It's very interesting that some who are from Atlanta describe places like NY as almost their ideal environment, while many people who've lived in NY and other urban places, can't wait to get the hell out of there and come to places like Cobb, Gwinnett, North Fulton, and Forsyth. There's a reason so many transplants of all ethnicities choose to come to Atlanta from places like Chicago and NY and to live OTP.
Hear, hear, neil.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:41 PM

207 posts, read 322,031 times
I'm a 20-something ITP'er (despite the handle), and the terms are definitely used a ton by people my age. However, the difference from years past, I believe, is that OTP is both an adjective to describe a person and a place name, whereas ITP seems to be used purely in a geographical sense. As an adjective, OTP is synonymous with cheesy and/or trashy. Thus, it has a classist connotation.

I realize this is rude and elitist, which is why I never use the term. But I don't think it can be argued that OTP is not a pejorative term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta