U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:24 PM

13,453 posts, read 21,929,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
This is the most recent one I've seen...

Briarcliff Statement on HB 665 Cityhood Map | City of Briarcliff Initiative, Inc.

And you're right...the cityhood efforts are a total mess.

A clearer version of the map above:

http://briarcliffga.org/wp-content/u...-Map-02-28.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 05:35 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,196,638 times
True but with 40% of 21-30yr old living with their parents as they pick up jobs and want their own places that is some serious new household formation and in the long run it should show by increased demand. Time will tell if that will be offset with new construction and all the apartments being built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larcard View Post
The housing market crash is another reason inventory is low. People, like us, bought homes between 2004 and 2007 at the peak. Even with the rise in RE prices, our homes have not yet caught up. We'd lose around $40K if we sold. So, we aren't. Just sitting tight. Have to live somewhere. Quite a few new builders have entered the market. From what I've seen, the homes are not high quality. But they're selling like crazy. If mortgage rate continue to rise, RE will cool off again.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:50 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,043,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
This is the most recent one I've seen...

Briarcliff Statement on HB 665 Cityhood Map | City of Briarcliff Initiative, Inc.

And you're right...the cityhood efforts are a total mess.
Actually, it is Lakeside that has taken Emory out I believe. But I think in the end, if there is a City of Briarcliff, it won't include Emory and probably parts of Druid Hills.

Word is that only Lakeside really has a chance. GRRRR.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Actually, it is Lakeside that has taken Emory out I believe. But I think in the end, if there is a City of Briarcliff, it won't include Emory and probably parts of Druid Hills.
OK, that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post

Word is that only Lakeside really has a chance. GRRRR.
GRRRR is right. Just say NO to Lakeside.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:17 PM

5,207 posts, read 4,263,933 times
It is my understanding that foreclosures, which were single-handedly obliterating the housing market, are rapidly disappearing. This is good news for current homeowners and bad news for people who were trying to get a steal of a deal on a new home.

I think a contributor to this rise in home prices has been the real estate investors who have snatched up much of the formerly cheap property. Those who were willing and able are probably sitting on piles of cash now!

Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 PM

2,607 posts, read 3,142,630 times
Well, actually many properties are still empty and could be sold as foreclosures but the banks refuse to put them on the market bc they don't want to flood the market with the foreclosures bc when supply goes up asking price goes down. You walk into any condo bldg for example and there are units that have been empty for years bc the bsnks are sitting on them. So they are manipulating the market and at the same time crying the blues to the govt as they writr off the losses. So basically we are still bailing them out. Then all the modifications that they were suppoaed to provide as part of the bailout was/is a joke. I am told that a modifi ation is one of the hardest thi gs to get nowadays. Smoke and mirrors and the uber rich keep getting richer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
It is my understanding that foreclosures, which were single-handedly obliterating the housing market, are rapidly disappearing. This is good news for current homeowners and bad news for people who were trying to get a steal of a deal on a new home.

I think a contributor to this rise in home prices has been the real estate investors who have snatched up much of the formerly cheap property. Those who were willing and able are probably sitting on piles of cash now!

Old 03-09-2014, 08:37 PM

5,207 posts, read 4,263,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Well, actually many properties are still empty and could be sold as foreclosures but the banks refuse to put them on the market bc they don't want to flood the market with the foreclosures bc when supply goes up asking price goes down. You walk into any condo bldg for example and there are units that have been empty for years bc the bsnks are sitting on them. So they are manipulating the market and at the same time crying the blues to the govt as they writr off the losses. So basically we are still bailing them out. Then all the modifications that they were suppoaed to provide as part of the bailout was/is a joke. I am told that a modifi ation is one of the hardest thi gs to get nowadays. Smoke and mirrors and the uber rich keep getting richer.
As long as a significant percentage of Americans believe that riches come mostly from hard work and good decisions, things are going to stay that way.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:12 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,033,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Actually, only a very small part of Druid Hills is in the city of Atlanta. Most is in unincorporated DeKalb County.
I'm aware of that. That's why I said that. I did not state that most of Druid Hills was in the city limits.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 AM

29,247 posts, read 26,177,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
I'm aware of that. That's why I said that. I did not state that most of Druid Hills was in the city limits.
I would be okay with Druid Hills joining the city of Atlanta if that's what Druid Hills wants.

However, it's hard to see how that would help them. The COA is not exactly known for efficient operations or responsiveness to its taxpayers. Wouldn't they just be jumping from the frying pan into the fire?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
... Wouldn't they just be jumping from the frying pan into the fire?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta