U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:16 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,033,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would be okay with Druid Hills joining the city of Atlanta if that's what Druid Hills wants.

However, it's hard to see how that would help them. The COA is not exactly known for efficient operations or responsiveness to its taxpayers. Wouldn't they just be jumping from the frying pan into the fire?
I would like to see Druid Hills choose annexation also. It is a wonderful area filled with prized homes and wealthy residents that would contribute to the tax base. As for Atlanta, I think it's vastly improved from days of yore when it was regarded as "Detroit of the South" and Bill Campbell was "Atlanta's Marion Barry."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 04:59 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,046,310 times
Quote:
I would be okay with Druid Hills joining the city of Atlanta if that's what Druid Hills wants.

However, it's hard to see how that would help them. The COA is not exactly known for efficient operations or responsiveness to its taxpayers. Wouldn't they just be jumping from the frying pan into the fire?
Many believe that Atlanta does Historical Preservation better than DeKalb. The DH Civic Association is in year something of a legal battle over a development.

Atlanta schools appear to be on an upward trend vs DeKalb. In general, Atlanta seems to be in better shape than DeKalb.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:22 AM

550 posts, read 789,845 times
It seems very hot right now in East Cobb. Houses under contract for >asking price in 1 day. Anyone looking needs to be ready to move quickly!

Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,144,418 times
Buckhead is hot also. I am personally aware of at least one condo foreclosure that got more than 20 viewings and went under contract in about 4 days. The Buckhead Atlanta development seems to have given all of the properties in the Garden Hills and surrounding areas of Buckhead a boost already. Prices seem to be up at least 25K on condos.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:22 AM

29,265 posts, read 26,193,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
I would like to see Druid Hills choose annexation also. It is a wonderful area filled with prized homes and wealthy residents that would contribute to the tax base. As for Atlanta, I think it's vastly improved from days of yore when it was regarded as "Detroit of the South" and Bill Campbell was "Atlanta's Marion Barry."
We're doing better but we still don't have any funding for our major parks, sidewalks, playgrounds or pothole repairs. Our water bills are sky high, although Watershed management somehow manages to scrounge up many tens of millions for things like the streetcar and the Old fourth ward park.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 AM

5,414 posts, read 3,810,446 times
Quote:
We're doing better but we still don't have any funding for our major parks, sidewalks, playgrounds or pothole repairs. Our water bills are sky high, although Watershed management somehow manages to scrounge up many tens of millions for things like the streetcar and the Old fourth ward park.
Not sure how Watershed was involved in the streetcar but construction of that park helped to stop the rampant flooding in that area with the park's storm-water detention pond. Great investment IMO.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 AM

2,683 posts, read 5,197,774 times
The money was going to be spent either way and it was a very clever idea save the city $15 mil versus a traditional storm drain tunnel and we have an awesome park to boot.

I agree the water bills are sky high + 1% of the sales tax also goes towards fixing sewer but lets face it we couldn't continue to absorb federal fines and spew raw sewage all over.

Historic Fourth Ward Park // Atlanta BeltLine

Quote:
Our water bills are sky high, although Watershed management somehow manages to scrounge up many tens of millions for things like the streetcar and the Old fourth ward park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta