Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:16 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
At 4 AM?
LOL. Could have gone to Walgreens or likely Kroger too for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 08:28 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I know personal attacks aren't allowed, but some of you are horrible and spiteful people.

Okay, maybe not really, but try to think things through before you speak....

Yeah, Wal-Mart isn't an ideal place for most people. BUT, there are lots of shift workers out there. Imagine if you worked 2pm-10pm. I've done this, so let me explain something to you: When you work a shift like this, you have 2 choices. Either, you go to bed shortly after you get home and wake up at 9 or 10am and then you have some time before work to get things done. Or, you stay up until 2 or 3am and wake up at noon or so and go straight to work.

It's a personal choice. I generally stayed up late and woke up right before work. I found that an easier lifestyle because it mimicked the "normal" life of working, then winding down before going to bed. Of course, I was younger and liked having a schedule conducive to going out and partying any time I wanted to....staying out until 3am wasn't wild or crazy for me, that was just a normal night.

But think about that life. When you need something like a dustbuster, you can either go out at 2am and get it, or you have to wait until the weekend. Alternatively, you can get it on your way to work. I was always running so behind that it was too stressful to try to do anything BEFORE work.

It's also easier to do a lot of things in the middle of the night. That loud, obnoxious, crazy Wal-Mart that you hate so much....guess what? At 2am, it's relatively peaceful. When you go at 2am, you park right up front, go get your dustbuster, then walk right up to the register and pay for it. No crowds, no cart dodging, no screaming children (except the few people, who amazingly do bring their children to Wal-Mart at 2am....they're out there!)

All I'm saying is that you can judge Wal-Mart as much as you want. Now that I work relatively normal hours, I never go either. But if you keep a different schedule, having a 24 store like Wal-Mart can be a lifesaver. When you go during those hours, it's a completely different experience than what you are used to. I really liked going in the middle of the night, it was quite peaceful and nice.

I think it's high time that we stop treating our nurses, pilots, truck drivers, police officers, and others who keep the country running and safe all night long like second class citizens just because they keep alternative hours. Some of them choose this lifestyle for a variety of reasons (they like it, they can't afford daycare so they "tag team" with a working spouse so someone is always home, they like earning the extra money, etc.) but others are forced to do it because they are in a 24 hour industry. I promise that not everybody who works overnight shifts does it voluntarily. There aren't usually enough people who like to do it. But if you work in a hospital, data center, TV station, fire dept., whatever....someone has to be there. Often, it's the "new guy" paying his dues, a rotating schedule where everyone has to do it periodically, less skilled employees who can't cut it during more prime hours, or people who are just asked to pitch in and help cover shortages.

There are all kinds of people up all night. For some people, needing a dustbuster at 2am is as normal as you needing one at 11am.

So let's try to be a little less judgmental both of these people and of the Wal-Mart that serves their needs.

How would you feel if I said "Target is open from 9pm - 9am, and there are 24 hour Krogers, so that should be fine for your needs."

That's precisely what you are saying to people who work different hours. 10am-10pm are not convenient hours for everybody.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:04 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I know personal attacks aren't allowed, but some of you are horrible and spiteful people.

Okay, maybe not really, but try to think things through before you speak....

Yeah, Wal-Mart isn't an ideal place for most people. BUT, there are lots of shift workers out there. Imagine if you worked 2pm-10pm. I've done this, so let me explain something to you: When you work a shift like this, you have 2 choices. Either, you go to bed shortly after you get home and wake up at 9 or 10am and then you have some time before work to get things done. Or, you stay up until 2 or 3am and wake up at noon or so and go straight to work.

It's a personal choice. I generally stayed up late and woke up right before work. I found that an easier lifestyle because it mimicked the "normal" life of working, then winding down before going to bed. Of course, I was younger and liked having a schedule conducive to going out and partying any time I wanted to....staying out until 3am wasn't wild or crazy for me, that was just a normal night.

But think about that life. When you need something like a dustbuster, you can either go out at 2am and get it, or you have to wait until the weekend. Alternatively, you can get it on your way to work. I was always running so behind that it was too stressful to try to do anything BEFORE work.

It's also easier to do a lot of things in the middle of the night. That loud, obnoxious, crazy Wal-Mart that you hate so much....guess what? At 2am, it's relatively peaceful. When you go at 2am, you park right up front, go get your dustbuster, then walk right up to the register and pay for it. No crowds, no cart dodging, no screaming children (except the few people, who amazingly do bring their children to Wal-Mart at 2am....they're out there!)

All I'm saying is that you can judge Wal-Mart as much as you want. Now that I work relatively normal hours, I never go either. But if you keep a different schedule, having a 24 store like Wal-Mart can be a lifesaver. When you go during those hours, it's a completely different experience than what you are used to. I really liked going in the middle of the night, it was quite peaceful and nice.

I think it's high time that we stop treating our nurses, pilots, truck drivers, police officers, and others who keep the country running and safe all night long like second class citizens just because they keep alternative hours. Some of them choose this lifestyle for a variety of reasons (they like it, they can't afford daycare so they "tag team" with a working spouse so someone is always home, they like earning the extra money, etc.) but others are forced to do it because they are in a 24 hour industry. I promise that not everybody who works overnight shifts does it voluntarily. There aren't usually enough people who like to do it. But if you work in a hospital, data center, TV station, fire dept., whatever....someone has to be there. Often, it's the "new guy" paying his dues, a rotating schedule where everyone has to do it periodically, less skilled employees who can't cut it during more prime hours, or people who are just asked to pitch in and help cover shortages.

There are all kinds of people up all night. For some people, needing a dustbuster at 2am is as normal as you needing one at 11am.

So let's try to be a little less judgmental both of these people and of the Wal-Mart that serves their needs.

How would you feel if I said "Target is open from 9pm - 9am, and there are 24 hour Krogers, so that should be fine for your needs."

That's precisely what you are saying to people who work different hours. 10am-10pm are not convenient hours for everybody.
It's really not that serious...

Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,590,154 times
Kroger is open 24/hrs,7days/week,no need to go to Walmart for a dustbuster.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I also was pretty shocked when Wal-Mart in the city wasn't open after midnight after moving to Atlanta proper from Cobb County.

But I have found all the city Wal-Marts close up by midnight or earlier. The new one on MLK closes at 10pm. Someone who doesn't live near here tried to argue with me that all Wal-Mart's are 24 hours so I told them to go and prove me wrong. They didn't lol.

My guess is that the city Wal-Mart's are susceptible to more crime which is why they would close earlier. Howell Mill's Wal-Mart has its fair share of crime issues that most people don't know about. I used to get crime reports for that area due to organizing transportation of seniors over there to shop and they were on the "high" crime index for the regular retail places that we frequented.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:08 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,590,154 times
Just for info many CVS,Walgreens are also open 24/hrs around the city,just need to call the closest to your area.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:18 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
This is crazy. I just drove to Walmart on Howell Mill rd and it wasn't open. I was shocked. In Tampa, all of the Walmarts are open 24-7. So I google where the closest 24 hours store is and it is all the way out in Marietta. With nothing to do, I jumped in the car and drove there. I reached the Walmart only to find out that the internet lied to me and this store closed hours ago.

Now, I am back home and looking at my desktop. The only 24 hour walmarts around are outside the perimeter for goodness sake. I'm not about to drive that far only to find out that the store lied to me yet again and it is closed.

Where is a 24 hour Walmart for gods sake!?
Most of us intowners try to get to bed at a reasonable hour so that may explain part of it.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:24 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2000 View Post
You could have called the WalMart to see it they were, in fact, open before driving there...
I called MULTIPLE times! To MuLTIPLE stores. No one answered

Old 03-20-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Most of us intowners try to get to bed at a reasonable hour so that may explain part of it.
Most of our whole country go to bed before midnight. 24 hour walmarts are there for those of us that stay up late. I guess Atlanta doesn't provide this to its residents though.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I'm not sure what the grocery comment has to do with this, but you were looking for a Walmart that was open, right?
Someone told me to go to Kroger. I wasn't looking for groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta