U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:49 PM

18 posts, read 53,936 times

Advertisements

The high school in Sandy Springs is Riverwood, where I graduated from, and was US Weekly's #1 ranked high school in the state. I believe they gave it #42 in the country. The schools in this area will NOT be a problem....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 02:03 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,048,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWareham View Post
The high school in Sandy Springs is Riverwood, where I graduated from, and was US Weekly's #1 ranked high school in the state. I believe they gave it #42 in the country. The schools in this area will NOT be a problem....
Beware; the other high school is North Springs. And depending on where you live, your kids might be sent there.

While North Springs has a decent math and science magnet program, the rest of the curriculum is mediocre. As are many of the teachers. My kids attended for the first 2 weeks of school until we pulled them out and transferred them. Fights. Sketchy characters. Inattentive and unmotivated facult. Not a good situation in my view.

If at all possible, try and get your kids into Riverwood.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:09 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,625,791 times
I would definitely recommend Sandy Springs to you, but I would not recommend the traffic.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:30 PM

8 posts, read 20,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Beware; the other high school is North Springs. And depending on where you live, your kids might be sent there.

While North Springs has a decent math and science magnet program, the rest of the curriculum is mediocre. As are many of the teachers. My kids attended for the first 2 weeks of school until we pulled them out and transferred them. Fights. Sketchy characters. Inattentive and unmotivated facult. Not a good situation in my view.

If at all possible, try and get your kids into Riverwood.
That's valuable information - THANK YOU

Old 12-07-2007, 11:45 PM

13,623 posts, read 22,081,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by december33 View Post
That's valuable information - THANK YOU
Uh...don't be swayed by just one person...

North Springs is "ranked" very high, has very high test scores, and an awesome reputation (with lots of community support--so important!)...its magnet programs (Arts and Math/Science) and general curriculum are both top-notch.

The point is...you can't go wrong with either Sandy Springs high school...North Springs or Riverwood.

Good Luck!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:14 AM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,486,838 times
Default Sandy Springs vs Alpharetta

Hi: Such a helpful informative forum. Thank you!! Thought we were moving to Atlanta area awhile back, ended up not, now looking like we will. My husband and I and our two kids (age 11 and 12) are looking at either Alpharetta, Roswell, Sandy Springs or Dunwoody. Seems we hear quite a bit about Alpharetta's reputation for good schools, but the homes all look alike. I want something different, unique and with character - English style preferably and in the trees. We HAVE to have good schools though as we are leaving very mediocre schools which is a large part of why we're moving. My husband went through the Dunwoody area and just loved it, and also some of Alpharetta. Dunwoody/Sandy Springs looks great from the internet pics, older homes in the trees, but I am a bit scared now of the crime that might be there from the other threads I have read. The Heards Ferry/Riverwood area looks so appealing but I am wondering if for crime reasons we should go to Alpharetta? Also schools?
Thanks in advance!

Old 12-08-2007, 11:36 AM

8,166 posts, read 13,569,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeh View Post
Hi: Such a helpful informative forum. Thank you!! nd just loved it, and also some of Alpharetta. Dunwoody/Sandy Springs looks great from the internet pics, older homes in the trees, but I am a bit scared now of the crime that might be there from the other threads I have read. The Heards Ferry/Riverwood area looks so appealing but I am wondering if for crime reasons we should go to Alpharetta? Also schools?
Thanks in advance!
Crime is not much of a problem in Sandy Springs except along the Roswell Rd corridor and that is changing...primarily with the removal/renovation of older apartments. One pocket is east of Roswell Rd just south of the river and another is south of 285--just inside the perimeter. The Heards Ferry and Riverwood areas are very safe with truly short fire and police response times. I wouldn't live in this area otherwise...that is to say, I DO live in this area(for over 8 years). A nice mix of young families along with many original residents(much of the area was developed in the mid-50s--mid 60s).

Old 12-08-2007, 01:26 PM

18 posts, read 53,936 times
My parents home that I've mentioned on other posts in this forum is on Heards Ferry Road. Again, I lived on Heards Ferry for almost 25 years, and in fact, my parents house was one of the first on the street before the development boom. The crime that was in this area was all burglary, which I hate to say is every where in this city. My parents home was robbed once, but that is the only thing that has happened in almost 27 years of living there. The only crime I've seen in Sandy Springs is also robbery, but of course, there are some sketchy areas on Roswell Road where crime occurs. The thing about Sandy Springs now is that it has it's own police department. When I was in high school you could drive around Sandy Springs with a whiskey bottle in your lap and not have to worry about a thing. Now, I've seen road blocks and police writting tickets on roads like Heards Ferry. I have been told that when Sandy Springs hired their department they ended up with one of the most experienced departments in the metro Atlanta area. In my opinion, Sandy Springs is just as safe as any other area around the City of Atlanta. The neighborhoods all have beautiful homes in them, and a lot of the residents have been there for 30+ years. If you can afford it, purchase here, but don't expect to see home prices go up until we get out of this slump. Hope this helps!

Old 12-08-2007, 09:08 PM

8 posts, read 20,246 times
Default renting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Crime is not much of a problem in Sandy Springs except along the Roswell Rd corridor and that is changing...primarily with the removal/renovation of older apartments. One pocket is east of Roswell Rd just south of the river and another is south of 285--just inside the perimeter. The Heards Ferry and Riverwood areas are very safe with truly short fire and police response times. I wouldn't live in this area otherwise...that is to say, I DO live in this area(for over 8 years). A nice mix of young families along with many original residents(much of the area was developed in the mid-50s--mid 60s).
Just wondering - can you rent houses in these neighborhoods? Or are all/most rental properties along the Roswell Road? Sorry if that is a silly question, it's just in LA (where I am presently) you'll rarely be able to rent a house in a residential neighborhood. So which neighborhood were you refering to having a nice mix of young families and original residents, Heards Ferry or Riverwood? (I have young kids)...

Old 12-09-2007, 12:44 AM

13,623 posts, read 22,081,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeh View Post
Hi: Such a helpful informative forum. Thank you!! Thought we were moving to Atlanta area awhile back, ended up not, now looking like we will. My husband and I and our two kids (age 11 and 12) are looking at either Alpharetta, Roswell, Sandy Springs or Dunwoody. Seems we hear quite a bit about Alpharetta's reputation for good schools, but the homes all look alike. I want something different, unique and with character - English style preferably and in the trees. We HAVE to have good schools though as we are leaving very mediocre schools which is a large part of why we're moving. My husband went through the Dunwoody area and just loved it, and also some of Alpharetta. Dunwoody/Sandy Springs looks great from the internet pics, older homes in the trees, but I am a bit scared now of the crime that might be there from the other threads I have read. The Heards Ferry/Riverwood area looks so appealing but I am wondering if for crime reasons we should go to Alpharetta? Also schools?
Thanks in advance!
Y'all are ready thinking in the "right" direction. I would definitely recommend Dunwoody/Sandy Springs over Alpharetta! The houses/neighborhoods are older with more character, plus you still have great schools. Dunwoody/Sandy Springs are also closer in. Crime is not really a big issue.

A breakdown of the school clusters (all great!):

{the schools are listed by cluster...for each grouping the, the elementary schools feed into the middle school, and the middle school into the high school}

Dunwoody High
Peachtree Charter Middle (new building!)
Vanderlyn Elementary
Kingsley Charter Elementary* (smaller than most schools...awesome community!)
Austin Elementary
Chestnut Charter Elementary*
Hightower Elementary
{a new elementary is getting built to relieve overcrowding at Vanderlyn, Austin, and Chestnut...they are all so popular!}

North Springs High (top-notch double magnet...Arts and Math/Science!)
Sandy Springs Middle
Woodland Charter Elementary*
Dunwoody Springs Elementary
Spalding Drive Elementary* (some of Spalding Drive Elementary feeds into the Ridgeview/Riverwood cluster as well)
{a new elementary is getting built on Ison Road to relieve overcrowding in this cluster...the area is very popular!}

Riverwood High (International Baccalaureate Magnet!)
Ridgeview Middle (International Baccalaureate, Extensive Foreign Language Program, and Heritage Language Program!)
Heards Ferry Elementary*
High Point Elementary
(some of Spalding Drive Elementary*)
{a new elementary is getting built on Lake Forrest Drive to relieve overcrowding at Heards Ferry and High Point...again, the area is so popular!}

That's it! I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

*denotes "my picks" for the elementary schools (but all are great!)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta