Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:36 PM

8 posts, read 22,571 times

Advertisements

I am an educated 33 year old Black British, newly single mother of 2. I'm currently residing in California but will be moving to Atlanta for a fresh start. I'd like to collect some thoughts about Sandy Springs - whether this is a good choice of location for someone like myself? I'm desparate to get away from apartment living and would like to rent a townhome out there - my dream is to have a back garden for my kids to play in. I can pay up to $1400 a month - is this possible? If there's anyone who has first hand knowledge of this area, your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Mainly I'm looking for a safe, child friendly environment, (my kids are 2 1/2yrs and 6 months), somewhere where a single parent can 'fit in' and a place that is somewhat culturally diverse and is beautiful scenic wise. Or perhaps another area may be better for me? What do you think?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 02:42 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,266,597 times
I think Sandy Springs would be a great place to start your new life- I also think that $1400 to rent a 3 br townhouse with a private back yard would be a stretch there, though. Have you checked for listings on realtor.com or craigslist yet?

Also, before deciding on an area to live, have you researched employment in your field? There are several threads going on here right now about people who moved down here without work, and are having a tough time finding decent employment. And while Sandy Springs is pretty close to being "Inside the Perimeter" it can be a tough place to commute from if you've got to go very far for work.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:37 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,716,610 times
PM me as I may have some info on a relative's townhouse that may work for you. Need to find out what she's asking though.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,155 times
Wow, what a coincidence! I too am a Black British and my husband and I just moved from California (Orange County) to Sandy Springs, GA. We have just rented a 3 bed 2 bath house for $1200! Something which was completely impossible to do in Southern California. Although we are extremely happy with the house and the lovely Sandy Springs, I have to warn you that moving to GA is going to be a fairly rough transition, especially for someone who is originally from the UK. The culture here is quite different, especially the black culture, it is completely different to that of black british. As well there is a much higher crime rate in metro atlanta, you can NOT leave your doors unlocked even in the nicest parts of town, it is TRUE city living, you cannot be naive in any way to stay safe. As well, the bugs over here are crazy, they have the biggest roaches, that are everywhere, even in the most spotless house, the whole city is just infested! So come and visit first before making the big move. We plan on leaving ATL when we have children. If safety is a concern then don't move. I drive a BMW and I get worried everyday about being car jacked, so beware! But Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Roswell and Alpharetta are the closest to the Orange County lifestyle.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:09 PM

16,627 posts, read 29,288,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londongirl View Post
Wow, what a coincidence! I too am a Black British and my husband and I just moved from California (Orange County) to Sandy Springs, GA. We have just rented a 3 bed 2 bath house for $1200! Something which was completely impossible to do in Southern California. Although we are extremely happy with the house and the lovely Sandy Springs, I have to warn you that moving to GA is going to be a fairly rough transition, especially for someone who is originally from the UK. The culture here is quite different, especially the black culture, it is completely different to that of black british. As well there is a much higher crime rate in metro atlanta, you can NOT leave your doors unlocked even in the nicest parts of town, it is TRUE city living, you cannot be naive in any way to stay safe. As well, the bugs over here are crazy, they have the biggest roaches, that are everywhere, even in the most spotless house, the whole city is just infested! So come and visit first before making the big move. We plan on leaving ATL when we have children. If safety is a concern then don't move. I drive a BMW and I get worried everyday about being car jacked, so beware! But Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Roswell and Alpharetta are the closest to the Orange County lifestyle.
Um...not accurate.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:27 PM

18 posts, read 59,316 times
Yea, LondonGirl didn't really paint the correct picture. I lived in Sandy Springs for 25 years, and my parents still live in the house I grew up in. It's a great part of Atlanta, but nothing like Orange County!? Actually, Sandy Springs originally was mostly jewish, and still has a huge jewish community living in the residential neighborhoods. Because of this, Sandy Springs was the richest Unicorporated town in the U.S., but still not like Orange County. I guess it was close to 4 years ago that Sandy Springs became it's own city, which really changed the crime that LondonGirl speaks of. When I was a child, I remember witnessing all types of crime, although I've NEVER heard of a carjacking happening in this area. Not to say it can't happen. Now, Sandy Springs is heavily policed with one of the most experienced police departments in the state. Crime should be going down in this area, not up. Also, there are all types of people in Sandy Springs. Roswell Road is sort of the central location for this area, and while driving down it you'll see whites, blacks, Mexicans, etc. It's not until you get back into the rich neighborhoods that you're surrounded by 99.9% white. Still, Sandy Springs is a great place to live, as again, my parents have lived in their house for almost 30 years now and are very happy. You are central to everything in Atlanta, but also have everything you need right at your finger tips. If I had the money, I'd live there in a heartbeat......

Old 12-06-2007, 06:49 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,657,266 times
Sandy Springs is a great place and it is safe to live there (except for the occassional abortion clinic bomb).

Old 12-07-2007, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 34,760 times
@ december33 - I do not live in Sandy Springs so cannot give you my opinion on it ... however, I just wanted to wish you all the best with your house hunting and ask you why have you chosen to look at the Sandy Springs area? Is it due to work? Are you open to other areas?

I am also a black british woman and have been in Snellville since July. Both my son and I love it out here. Not sure if you are originally from London but I find that it is very friendly and family orientated here compared to London. My son is doing very well at school (straight As - honors) and I feel more at ease with him playing outside here than I did in London. Only down side is that we are little way away from the humdrum of Atlanta city and I cannot understand the public transportation system or lack of it!!

Apart from that - love it, love it, love it!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:26 AM

826 posts, read 3,110,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by december33 View Post
I am an educated 33 year old Black British, newly single mother of 2. I'm currently residing in California but will be moving to Atlanta for a fresh start. I'd like to collect some thoughts about Sandy Springs - whether this is a good choice of location for someone like myself? I'm desparate to get away from apartment living and would like to rent a townhome out there - my dream is to have a back garden for my kids to play in. I can pay up to $1400 a month - is this possible? If there's anyone who has first hand knowledge of this area, your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Mainly I'm looking for a safe, child friendly environment, (my kids are 2 1/2yrs and 6 months), somewhere where a single parent can 'fit in' and a place that is somewhat culturally diverse and is beautiful scenic wise. Or perhaps another area may be better for me? What do you think?

Thank you in advance!
I work in Sandy Springs, I have seen a couple of the 3-4 bedroom brick homes renting for 1250-1350. You will be able to find something.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:35 AM

8 posts, read 22,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelstar2672 View Post
@ december33 - I do not live in Sandy Springs so cannot give you my opinion on it ... however, I just wanted to wish you all the best with your house hunting and ask you why have you chosen to look at the Sandy Springs area? Is it due to work? Are you open to other areas?

I am also a black british woman and have been in Snellville since July. Both my son and I love it out here. Not sure if you are originally from London but I find that it is very friendly and family orientated here compared to London. My son is doing very well at school (straight As - honors) and I feel more at ease with him playing outside here than I did in London. Only down side is that we are little way away from the humdrum of Atlanta city and I cannot understand the public transportation system or lack of it!!

Apart from that - love it, love it, love it!!!
Hi,
I'm not originally from London but I lived there for about 10 years - I'm glad you've found a place where you feel at ease with your son playing out, without a doubt that is a huge issue in London.
Well I chose Sandy Springs as from what I can see, it seems to have a good reputation for being safe, having good schools, having a mixture of cultures and also for it's physical location (as I may have to look for work on my arrival (but have enough savings to see me through).
It gives me hope that you're enjoying the environment out there, California has gotten too expensive for me and going back to England is not a desirable option so I hope I like it out there as much as you do!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta