Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:46 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I was in Viewpoint and had no noise issues. It is amazing how sound proof they can make them. You could really tell a difference when you left the door open.
That is good to know. I liked apartment living but the noise has been unbearable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 03:37 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
That's going to depend a lot on your neighbors, too.

I remember I had a friend who lived in one of the Novare properties, can't remember which, and I asked what it was like with neighbors. I lived in an apartment and could always hear the people above me walking around. He said there's a lady who lived above him and he can always hear her when she walks around with her shoes on. Click clack, click clack.

Even with the 8 inches of concrete between floors, I asked? Yep, even with that, he said.

Just because you live in a condo building doesn't mean you won't hear noise.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:05 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,842 times
It does depend on the property (and neighbors some too). I have heard Metropolis (Novare) has some noise issues because it was originally built as apartments. Which apparently are often built with less sound proofing.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:44 AM

9 posts, read 12,773 times
Thanks for the advice here. Midtown looks really attractive to me but the properties are definitely selling at a bit of a premium there. As for Buckhead, I have looked around the Roswell/Piedmont intersection area but what I have found is that there are a lot of very old properties selling for dirt cheap and some newer properties selling at or above Midtown prices. If I had to pick between the two, I would lean towards Midtown but am I looking at the wrong parts of Buckhead?

Old 03-24-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin Z View Post
Thanks for the advice here. Midtown looks really attractive to me but the properties are definitely selling at a bit of a premium there. As for Buckhead, I have looked around the Roswell/Piedmont intersection area but what I have found is that there are a lot of very old properties selling for dirt cheap and some newer properties selling at or above Midtown prices. If I had to pick between the two, I would lean towards Midtown but am I looking at the wrong parts of Buckhead?
Where in Buckhead is your job and what areas of Buckhead have you been looking at?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:10 PM

9 posts, read 12,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Where in Buckhead is your job and what areas of Buckhead have you been looking at?
Job is on Peachtree Road close to where it intersects with GA-400. As far as my Buckhead search, I have been mostly looking around the western border of Lenox Park and westward, until about where Roswell and Piedmont intersects. Also, although much less important, I am trying to be sensitive to my buddy who I may have room with me. He works near Downtown.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:59 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
But I always say....live by work and commute to fun.
Yikes! I definitely subscribe to the opposite.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin Z View Post
Job is on Peachtree Road close to where it intersects with GA-400. As far as my Buckhead search, I have been mostly looking around the western border of Lenox Park and westward, until about where Roswell and Piedmont intersects. Also, although much less important, I am trying to be sensitive to my buddy who I may have room with me. He works near Downtown.
That is about where my office was in Buckhead and probably the best areas of Buckhead to consider for condos convenient to your job. You could also look at some smaller and older condos further south down Peachtree in south Buckhead.

Midtown would be closer if you end up with a roommate heading to downtown. There are some older / less expensive options in midtown too. There are also some 2/1 available for less if you don't mind sharing a bathroom. That is what I had.

I will add: if you are wanting to buy this as more of an "investment", you may want to consider downtown. You can get condos for half what they would cost in midtown and Buckhead. But there seems to be a lot of potential brewing in downtown and is an area I am seriously considering buy in next. However, downtown is still years away from being as vibrant as midtown, nor is it as prestigious of an address, plus it can still be pretty sketchy. Something to consider depending on what your "strategy" is. But Midtown sounds like the best fit to me based on your comments so far.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:03 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Buckhead or Vinings. Midtown you get a lot less for your $$.
I agree with the earlier posters who said the OP should probably not buy if planning to sell within 3 to 5 years, but if he's bound and determined to do it anyway, I'd try Vinings or Sandy Springs.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I'd try Vinings or Sandy Springs.
Any reason why? Just for more of a suburban feel? I don't think the prices are that much cheaper and the commute will be bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta