Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:06 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Where is there a trail from Cumberland Mall to the Silver Comet?
It starts next to Cumberland Blvd near Cumberland Pkwy and the bus terminal.
South on Cumberland Pkwy to Mt. Wilkinson Pkwy.
Mt. Wilkinson to Spring Hill Pkwy (it crosses I-285 on a dedicated bridge)
Spring Hill Pkwy to Paces Ferry
Paces Ferry to Spring Hill Road
Spring Hill Road to Atlanta Road
Atlanta Road to Cumberland Pkwy
Cumberland Pkwy to Highland Station Shopping Center and then on to the SC.

If you look at the area on google maps and zoom in close enough you will see the trail marked out. It is really just a glorified double-wide sidewalk: supposedly a safe place to ride a bicycle. Although in my opinion parts of it are more dangerous than riding on the street.

Cumberland Connector | TrailExpress.com - Recreational Trail News, Information and Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:22 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
The Bob Callan trail up in that neck of the woods is not bad either.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:31 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Welcome to the Smyrna/Vinings area. Great things are happening in the Smyrna/Vinings area and more amazing things to come: Overton Park II with mixed-use, Riverwood 200 mixed-use, the Braves stadium with accompanying mixed use, Belmont Hills, a $300 million mixed-use development on the Chattahoochee River in Smyrna just outside of I-285 known as Riverview Landing by Jamestown properties. On and on. The area is very active with many community groups working to make it better.

There's a new-found focus in Smyrna on walkability/bikeability. It isn't lost on the greater Smyrna area either. For instance, a pedestrian bridge is being discussed between the office park you showed, and the Braves stadium. However, this was something people were asking for even before the stadium announcement.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Where is there a trail from Cumberland Mall to the Silver Comet?
There's more alternatives than what people discussed here. There are actually three:
1. Going up the Spring Rd trail to Atlanta Rd to Cooper Lake Rd to the Comet extension on East-West/Cumberland Pkwy (you may want to stop by Market village on the way)
2. Pretty soon, when the downtown part of Concord Rd is finished being rebuilt, the trail from the Silver Comet to S. Cobb Dr will be connected all the way to Spring Rd. The Concord Rd park entrance for the Silver Comet trail is in the covered bridge district, which is beautiful and historic.
3. The aforementioned trail on Cumberland Pkwy to Mnt Wilkinson. This is my least favorite, since it's so hilly.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:33 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
...Spring Hill Road to Atlanta Road...
Just curious - how does that work? Is there some sort of back way? I can't think of how Springhill could directly connect to Atlanta Rd.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:00 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Just curious - how does that work? Is there some sort of back way? I can't think of how Springhill could directly connect to Atlanta Rd.
You might be thinking of Spring Hill Pkwy, which does not connect to Atlanta Rd. There's also a Spring Hill Road which goes north from Paces Ferry through a neighborhood, and also west to Atlanta Rd, cutting the corner off of the Paces Ferry and Atlanta Rd intersection. It's a great short cut (in a car) if you are heading north on Atlanta Rd and want to turn right on to Paces Ferry. The connector trail at that point is on the south side of Paces Ferry. It crosses Spring Hill Road at the intersection and heads west on the north side of the road.

Here's a closeup, courtesy of google maps: https://tinyurl.com/kyph6up

Old 03-26-2014, 08:38 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
You might be thinking of Spring Hill Pkwy, which does not connect to Atlanta Rd. There's also a Spring Hill Road which goes north from Paces Ferry through a neighborhood, and also west to Atlanta Rd, cutting the corner off of the Paces Ferry and Atlanta Rd intersection. It's a great short cut (in a car) if you are heading north on Atlanta Rd and want to turn right on to Paces Ferry. The connector trail at that point is on the south side of Paces Ferry. It crosses Spring Hill Road at the intersection and heads west on the north side of the road.

Here's a closeup, courtesy of google maps: https://tinyurl.com/kyph6up

Ah ok, thanks! Yes, I was thinking of Spring Hill Pkwy. I've noticed other parts of the Silver Comet Trail but have mostly only been to the part on Mavell Road. I sometimes don't get how it all connects, but ok, I can see how that part works.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:41 AM

When the pedestrian bridge is built, I hope they make it look really urbanistic and not just a cement bridge. That may be tough over I-285, but if they can pull it off it'll heavily undo the effect the parking garages give.

They could do a better job at masking them, like was done at Atlantic Station. You can't cluster homes around the garages like Atlantic Station since those homes would be right on the freeway, but they can maybe add some more trees over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta