Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:45 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I feel like, given our size, skyline is a relative strength of Atlanta's. We're better than DC and Boston, and hold our own against Philly, Dallas, Houston, and even LA despite those cities all being larger than us (in some cases significantly so). The view of town driving in on 17th Street is really quite impressive; one of the more impressive urban skyline views in the US imo.

And if a bunch of the proposed Midtown developments can get off the ground, it'll be that much better.
This I agree with. Downtown Houston is pretty IMO, but downtown Dallas doesn't have as nice of a skyline as Atlanta's. It's much smaller in scale and in the size of the buildings. I like the buildings in Midtown. You have to catch Atlanta's skyline(s) from different angles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 07:49 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
This I agree with. Downtown Houston is pretty IMO, but downtown Dallas doesn't have as nice of a skyline as Atlanta's. It's much smaller in scale and in the size of the buildings. I like the buildings in Midtown. You have to catch Atlanta's skyline(s) from different angles.
Our skyline is much more dense than many people realize. Downtown alone is dense and far from linear - perpendicular to Peachtree downtown's density is more than a mile wide. I think too many people try to view all 3 skylines as one, and if that's the case then of course it's spread-out. But taken as 3 separate skylines (which is reality at this point in time) they all do very well.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:25 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Our skyline is much more dense than many people realize. Downtown alone is dense and far from linear - perpendicular to Peachtree downtown's density is more than a mile wide. I think too many people try to view all 3 skylines as one, and if that's the case then of course it's spread-out. But taken as 3 separate skylines (which is reality at this point in time) they all do very well.
But still viewing all 3 skylines at once is still beautiful. The only distance you is Buckhead viewing it both from Stone Mountain and From Cobb (West Paces Ferry). Both offer beautiful views and it doesnt' look that spread out.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:10 AM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
My idea for an iconic landmark:

A cable car system connecting the International with the Domestic terminals at ATL. Tourist draw, serves a useful function, solves a problem, visually appealing, unique, builds on an existing strength (the draw of our airport).

Just keep the height reasonable (<125') and it should be fine.

I like this.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:15 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I like this.
Let's think about this. overhead cable cars around the busiest airport, with airplanes landing every 30 seconds.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:30 AM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Let's think about this. overhead cable cars around the busiest airport, with airplanes landing every 30 seconds.

I think he is taking everything into account.

Go back and read his post--and ask him for further details.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:10 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:

yea from terminal to terminal. The area where the concourses are and planes can't possible fly over and crosses no runways whatsoever. They just have to get high enough over the taxiways for planes parking.

The only thing I would do differently is if they spend the cost of something like that, I'd go ahead and extent the people mover on a higher elevated track that goes to the rental car center, so that is better connected to the international terminal.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:12 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Quote:
Ive flown directly over the airport in a private plane, straight down the middle of the property in a north/south route.

They could put a cable car b/t the terminals.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:56 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
I think a space elevator would be the perfect kind of iconic landmark. Imagine this one's coming from Atlanta

... I'm kidding, of course.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:51 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
That cable car idea is quite possibly the worst idea I've ever heard.

THAT is what you want Atlanta known for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta