Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 03:55 AM

91 posts, read 163,344 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am am from London but visit Atlanta regularly as it is my favorite American city. In fact Atlanta is becoming a popular destination for us Brits, however the common thing that we all say when we return is that it is a great place but there is no iconic landmark that stands out.

For example NY has the Empire State, Statue of Liberty, LA has Hollywood, DC has the White house, San Francisco has the Golden Gate. But was building does Atlanta really have that stands out and makes it unique? I must admit that it has an impressive skyline but I just feel that it needs something that makes it instantly recognizable ( and I'm not talking about the Millennium gate in Atlantic Station ).

Do you agree that this great city needs an iconic landmark? Let me know your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 04:14 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
I totally agree. I believe Coke Cola would have been an outstanding candidate for an Iconic building, but it choose to renovated its current Downtown Building. I always thought the Martin Luther King Statue in Washington D.C. should have been in Atlanta also. Also Atlanta's other companies like UPS, Delta, Home Depot all have their building outside the city in the suburbs.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:29 AM

What about Stone Mountain? I know that it's outside of the city limits but it's still part of the metro. Miami beach is outside of Miami's city limits but is still a seen as a recognizable landmark of the Miami.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:03 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
The original idea for the 17th street bridge was to make it something unique and recognizable - but when they considered the costs to build and to upkeep they could not justify the price.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:20 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I don't know that we need it, but it would be nice. Personally, I'd like something tied into the symbol of the Phoenix; another thought would be to tie it in to either the King Center or the new Civil Rights Museum.
Think about how iconic landmarks have helped define the skylines of Seattle, Dallas and Toronto.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:55 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illdeezy View Post
Hi

I am am from London but visit Atlanta regularly as it is my favorite American city. In fact Atlanta is becoming a popular destination for us Brits, however the common thing that we all say when we return is that it is a great place but there is no iconic landmark that stands out.

For example NY has the Empire State, Statue of Liberty, LA has Hollywood, DC has the White house, San Francisco has the Golden Gate. But was building does Atlanta really have that stands out and makes it unique? I must admit that it has an impressive skyline but I just feel that it needs something that makes it instantly recognizable ( and I'm not talking about the Millennium gate in Atlantic Station ).

Do you agree that this great city needs an iconic landmark? Let me know your thoughts.
Stone Mt

Old 03-24-2014, 07:08 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,737 times
Too bad we didn't build the city closer to Stone Mountain. Fun fact: originally Centennial Olympic Park was going to be at Stone Mountain. I got my hands on the original bid booklet, and it looked amazing. The current park worked wonders for downtown, so I'm not complaining. The real issue for me is that the Stone Mountain Freeway was scrapped; that would have been a great link between the city and the mountain.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
Too bad we didn't build the city closer to Stone Mountain. Fun fact: originally Centennial Olympic Park was going to be at Stone Mountain. I got my hands on the original bid booklet, and it looked amazing. The current park worked wonders for downtown, so I'm not complaining. The real issue for me is that the Stone Mountain Freeway was scrapped; that would have been a great link between the city and the mountain.
It would have destroyed thousands of homes and businesses. Great, intown neighborhoods would have been split in 2 or completely destroyed. In fact 1 neighborhood fell victim to the plans, Copenhill.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:29 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Why are Lee and Thomas Jackson on Stone Mountain? Shouldn't Joe Johnston and John Hood be up there?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:57 AM

I personally think Stone Mountain with the back drop of the downtown skyline would look good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta