Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 06:26 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjared View Post
It's an old railroad corridor similar to the Beltline. It appears this runs under I-285 in an existing right of way, although that's just what I can tell on Google maps.
Correct. I've walked under it before with some politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 06:46 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
oh wow, i wasn't aware of this. that makes it a lot simpler, but still, the railyard is a pretty big obstacle. i wonder how far CSX or NS (whoever owns the yard) would want the trail separated from the railyard?
The Beltline itself has to cross the rail yard, so presumably they could keep the trail on the western side of the yard and hook up with the Beltline somewhere around Ellsworth.

EDIT: I assume you're talking about the smaller yard at Chattahoochee?

Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3
the problem is that the rail line merges with an active rail line before it even hits the atlanta city limits, only a mile or so inside the perimeter.
Actually, they cross with separated grade but don't merge, and the issue hasn't come up even from CSX because it isn't an issue. The Silver Comet crosses that line then goes over a rail bridge into Atlanta. The line you are talking about goes over another rail bridge just to the West. They cross at 90 degrees at the crossing point, with separated grade. Since Plant Atkinson has completely converted to natural gas as of 2012, the siding between the two lines isn't even used anymore to store cars (nor was it ever "required" even before Plant Atkinson was converted, just convenient). CSX is going through an accounting process in every department to determine the cost to them of dropping the Silver Comet Line, and the risk of having less lines to store cars on will probably be considered. However, since they haven't stored anything on any part of the Silver Comet line for years, it probably will be a non-issue (though they may use it as leverage to get more out of the state).

Last edited by netdragon; 03-27-2014 at 07:10 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Of course, even if this got approved today, it would probably be 30 years before it was ever built. Seems to be how things go these days.
We're pretty sure the money is there from various sources based on multiple conversations. The issue is only getting CSX to abandon, so pressure has to stay on them from the Gold Dome to finish doing the write-offs and see if they can abandon it.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I think the big problem is getting past the railyards and the long stretch of nothing between right inside 285 and the beltline. Maybe there is a proposal for that in the petition, I didn't read it.
Those details will most likely be gone over by PATH when CSX actually abandons the line. The general consensus is that to avoid having to bridge over the rail yards, a trail to the side of Marietta Blvd appproximately starting at Carrol Dr and leading to the Westside Park would be necessary. The Westside Park (currently Bellwood Quarry) is expected to connect to the beltline. The currently out-of-service ROW gets to a little past Collier Rd. Then the idea is to use a stream buffer ROW to get to Carrol Dr. This alignment would probably use Marietta Blvd for some length to get to the Westside Park. Another alignment considered is Whetstone Trail to Carrol Dr to use Marietta Blvd as well to get to the Westside Park. There's also beltline studies of how to connect to Marietta Blvd, with multiple proposed alignments.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:15 PM

One other cool thing you guys should think about besides the Westside Park is that the Fort Peachtree park at the confluence of Peachtree Creek and the Chattahoochee in the Buckhead Ridgewood neighborhood will be re-opening soon. From what I've heard, it was the site of a civil war battle and they are considering putting interpretive signage there. It'd be really cool to have that connected to the Silver Comet as well. Another cool potential park is the incinerator plant location on S. Cobb Dr (well actually just across the river on the Atlanta side). It is hoped that a trail can be connected there to the Silver Comet, as well a trail on the other side of the river to Riverview Rd in Smyrna a where $300 mixed-use walkable development named Riverview Landing is going in along the Chattahoochee, just outside the perimeter.

Riverview Landing is planning to put a trail in along Riverview Rd, which will take the trail _almost_ to Veteran's Memorial Dr. There are hopes to expand it past onto Discovery Pl, but most likely as a road-side trail at that point. Especially since there's some historic sites along the river adjoining Discovery Pl that there are no intentions to disturb with anything more than a walking trail and interpretive signage.

There's also a few other historic sites that extending the Silver Comet Trail would provide access to, such as civil war shoupades near I-285 and West Village which were protected as part of a townhome subdivision.

Last edited by netdragon; 03-27-2014 at 07:26 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 12:24 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Those details will most likely be gone over by PATH when CSX actually abandons the line. The general consensus is that to avoid having to bridge over the rail yards, a trail to the side of Marietta Blvd appproximately starting at Carrol Dr and leading to the Westside Park would be necessary. The Westside Park (currently Bellwood Quarry) is expected to connect to the beltline. The currently out-of-service ROW gets to a little past Collier Rd. Then the idea is to use a stream buffer ROW to get to Carrol Dr. This alignment would probably use Marietta Blvd for some length to get to the Westside Park. Another alignment considered is Whetstone Trail to Carrol Dr to use Marietta Blvd as well to get to the Westside Park. There's also beltline studies of how to connect to Marietta Blvd, with multiple proposed alignments.
I wonder if they could make work what I drew in this map:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...s.kYBWeb2W9EUk

Other than squeezing between two warehouses (still on rail ROW I believe), it's on unused rail. Then I have a few options for getting to Westside Park.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I wonder if they could make work what I drew in this map:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...s.kYBWeb2W9EUk

Other than squeezing between two warehouses (still on rail ROW I believe), it's on unused rail. Then I have a few options for getting to Westside Park.
That's the general idea, but there's a stream buffer along Chattahoochee Avenue that I think would be a slightly better fit. The other thing is that unless CSX abandons the rail yard there as well, there needs to be a bumper, and it has to be where there's one track. That's pretty much Collier Rd. So I'm thinking very short jog on a divided trail along Collier Rd, until the tree buffer behind the businesses on the Eastern side of Marietta Blvd, then following that to where your red line hits Marietta Blvd.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Looks like this project (which already has some funding) could help connect the Beltline and the Comet: West of Buckhead, 'Riverwalk Atlanta' has Great Potential - Bureau Of Big Ideas - Curbed Atlanta

Quote:
Plans include an amphitheater and activity area at the incinerator site, as well as the "Chattahoochee River Trail" first envisioned by the PATH Foundation in 1992. Officials said that trail would be the backbone of Riverwalk Atlanta and the connection between the Atlanta Beltline and Silver Comet Trail in Cobb County.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:05 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Looks like this project (which already has some funding) could help connect the Beltline and the Comet: West of Buckhead, 'Riverwalk Atlanta' has Great Potential - Bureau Of Big Ideas - Curbed Atlanta
That looks like it would end up being a cool space. Per the article, it actually has some funding too, although probably not nearly enough.

Quote:
The grant announced in November totals $275,000 over three years, including matching funds of $75,000 total from the City of Atlanta.
I can't wait for the Beltline, PATH 400, and this to all be connected. We have to potential to be a huge bike city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta