Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 01:08 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,124,289 times

Advertisements

Everyone,
This week I read that APS has issued a request for proposals for the property currently being leased to AIS. Is AIS moving when its lease is up? If so, will the new location be near the old location? What about the new design building that I read was just built in 2010 to support their STEM building? This seems too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 04:31 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,615,859 times
Under state law, governments have to solicit proposals (sealed) if they are going to sale property they own. This protects the taxpayers and requires that government take the highest bid. There is an exception for areas declared blighted.

AIS has publicly stated what they plan to pay for the land. I suppose it is possible that a developer may swope in and pay more -- but I doubt it. The cost of demolition plus the cost of land, zoned R100, probably make it not a financially feasible deal.

It does sound like that there has been some resistance to the sale...
Neighbor Newspapers - Those against Buckhead school land sale silent at meeting

Old 03-27-2014, 07:21 AM

Hello LMM,

Are you saying that APS is indeed trying to sale the property *right now*?

I guess what is confusing to me is that I did a bit more research and it seems that the lease does not end until 2051 or so. This seems really odd given that there is a lease in place. Or maybe it is AIS that is toying with the idea of breaking the lease (as opposed to APS attempting to break the lease and sale the property, if that is indeed the case - breaking the lease).

I know a number of people who moved to Garden Hills (from within the U.S. and outside of the U.S.) to send their kids to AIS (if admitted) so I am sure this would send a bit of a shock through the community for that reason as well. It has such a large student body, and need facilities like gyms, etc., so it is hard to imagine where the school could reasonably go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Under state law, governments have to solicit proposals (sealed) if they are going to sale property they own. This protects the taxpayers and requires that government take the highest bid. There is an exception for areas declared blighted.

AIS has publicly stated what they plan to pay for the land. I suppose it is possible that a developer may swope in and pay more -- but I doubt it. The cost of demolition plus the cost of land, zoned R100, probably make it not a financially feasible deal.

It does sound like that there has been some resistance to the sale...
Neighbor Newspapers - Those against Buckhead school land sale silent at meeting

Old 03-27-2014, 07:30 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,964,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Hello LMM,

Are you saying that APS is indeed trying to sale the property *right now*?

I guess what is confusing to me is that I did a bit more research and it seems that the lease does not end until 2051 or so. This seems really odd given that there is a lease in place. Or maybe it is AIS that is toying with the idea of breaking the lease (as opposed to APS attempting to break the lease and sale the property, if that is indeed the case - breaking the lease).

I know a number of people who moved to Garden Hills (from within the U.S. and outside of the U.S.) to send their kids to AIS (if admitted) so I am sure this would send a bit of a shock through the community for that reason as well. It has such a large student body, and need facilities like gyms, etc., so it is hard to imagine where the school could reasonably go.
Don't worry, the school isn't going anywhere. At the earliest, the school would move in 2036. AIS is pushing for the sale, not the school system. Right now they pay a rather low lease, however coming up there are some pretty significant reassessments that will push that lease payment much higher. Most likely, the school will end up buying the property.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:46 AM

Oh, I understand now. AIS is trying to get out of the lease before the forthcoming increases. And at the earliest, the school is there until 2036. Ok, and APS has to do the RFP now bc they cannot accept the offer from AIS until they do an RFP per LMM's post. And AIS is not incentivized to move bc they pay such a low amount that even if the sale does not go through, they would make out better by staying.

Oh ok. Got it. Thanks very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Don't worry, the school isn't going anywhere. At the earliest, the school would move in 2036. AIS is pushing for the sale, not the school system. Right now they pay a rather low lease, however coming up there are some pretty significant reassessments that will push that lease payment much higher. Most likely, the school will end up buying the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta