Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,197 times

Advertisements

Clayton County could get nearly 3,000 new jobs as the first step in the long-awaited redevelopment of Fort Gillem gets underway.

The first of two land-transfer deals at the massive military base in Forest Park is set to close on May 2, said Fred Bryant, executive director of the Forest Park/Fort Gillem Implementation Local Redevelopment Authority.

The authority plans to turn the military base into a sprawling manufacturing, distribution, warehousing and business park complex with 7 million square feet of space. The redevelopment could potentially transform Forest Park into a logistics and transportation powerhouse for the metro area..."

Full Story: First of Fort Gillem redevelopment to bring nearly 3,000 jobs | www.ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 11:43 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,457 times
That's wonderful news for my county & for the nearby southside of the City of Atlanta & the south metro! Thanks for the update here.
I was previously only mildly aware of the plans for that strategically located huge parcel of land.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:40 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,740,317 times
Quote:
Officials are preparing to close May 2 on about 778 acres inside Fort Gillem, the first step toward the city’s acquisition of the former Army base, officials said.

The announcement was made Wednesday during the monthly meeting of Forest Park/Fort Gillem Implementation Local Redevelopment Authority by Executive Director Fred Bryant.

“We’re on track for a May 2 closing on 778 acres, more or less,” said Bryant. “We’re inviting a number of people to the ceremony and we’re hoping that date will stand.”

The announcement was welcome news to Forest Park Councilwoman Linda Lord and the other members of the joint committee.

“We’ve been doing this since 2005,” she said, letting out a mock sigh of relief to laughter from the rest of the board.

Councilman Tommy Smith shared that reaction.

“There’s light at the end of the tunnel,” he said.

First Gillem closing set May 2 | Clayton News Daily
Quote:
The properties that were bought on Main Street were bought at a time when property values were low, the properties were in decline and needed to be torn down or improved, all of the properties were built in a time when asbestos was a popular construction material. The plan was to rebuild Main Street in a way that families, citizens and businesses would be able to live, work, play and worship in Forest Park. The Gillem Logistics Center will draw workers who will need a place to live. We don’t want them to make money in Forest Park and go back to their homes in other areas — we want them to live, work, play and worship in Forest Park.

The housing planned for Main Street would be reasonable and affordable for most of our citizens, some probably more than others, but a range that local salaries at the Gillem Logistics Center can support. We have plenty of houses in Forest Park that can be renovated or razed so that homes can be built for those not wishing to live on Main Street.
Hoping for progress in Forest Park | Clayton News Daily

Old 03-31-2014, 03:13 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Come on, arjay, say it...

Old 03-31-2014, 07:12 PM

236 posts, read 698,224 times
Man...the AJC article comments are terrible. I welcome these jobs for the area. Should provide a nice little bump for the community.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 PM

566 posts, read 888,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapowermike View Post
Man...the AJC article comments are terrible. I welcome these jobs for the area. Should provide a nice little bump for the community.

Drive on Clayton.. Drive on

Old 04-01-2014, 04:29 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
This sounds like great news for Forest Park. I'm curious about who is moving in. Wasn't there talk a couple of years ago about an Amazon distribution center opening here?

Old 04-01-2014, 04:35 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
I'm there every week (Ft. Gillem). I wish they'd kept more of the property military.

Kinda scary when people walk up to your vehicle coming off the freeway. It's a depressed area. I hope things are looking up there.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Come on, arjay, say it...
Okay, I can't resist, aries.

Clayton is on fire!!!

Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapowermike View Post
And terrible news stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta