U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 04:34 PM

8 posts, read 8,617 times

Advertisements

I live in a condominium complex in the Atlanta area. Our documents state No rentals allowed. Our board and management company are ignoring this rule. I did a study on all of the units and it looks like there are approximately 60 to 70 rentals which is about 35 to 40 percent of our units. I know there are a few that are grandfathered and a few that have been given hardships, but the rest of the are illegal rentals.

Our documents state no rentals except with permission from the board. So what do you do when the board will do nothing to stop them?

For example, last year an investor owner rented his unit to a convicted child molester. It was reported and they would do nothing about it. I had a craigs list hooker living above me, entertaining 3 or 4 men a day and I had to listen to all of the noise. Again, the board would do nothing about it. A few weeks ago another illegal renter moved in above me, I contacted the board president as they were moving in and he told me to mind my own business that he isn't the condominium police.

I have written the management company asking for a total number of units they show rented and have been told it is none of my business. Even though our documents state that an owner has the right to request that information.

I have told them that I didn't purchase here to live in a rental community, if I wanted to do that I would have rented somewhere. Investors are coming in and buying places really cheap, then renting them out. According to the managment company, when they are at closing they are given written notice that they can't rent their units, but do it anyway.

Also, is it legal for a person to be on the board of directors that was sued by the Condominium 3 years ago for non payment of dues?

So, help, what can I do?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 04:50 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,819,571 times
The problem does not seem so much that some of your neighbors are renters but that you just don't like them. I get that you want the no renting clause enforced, but you could just as easily be surrounded by the same crowd even if they were buying instead of renting. Also, it seems you resent that the investors are buying the units for a low price which I'm guessing is less than what you paid. If you can't beat em, join em. Why not sell or rent your unit and move?

Old 04-05-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
The problem does not seem so much that some of your neighbors are renters but that you just don't like them. I get that you want the no renting clause enforced, but you could just as easily be surrounded by the same crowd even if they were buying instead of renting. Also, it seems you resent that the investors are buying the units for a low price which I'm guessing is less than what you paid. If you can't beat em, join em. Why not sell or rent your unit and move?
I guess you didn't understand my post. Our documents say no rentals allowed, period!!!. No, I don't resent the investors buying at low prices, but it isn't right that they turn around and rent them to some undesireable renters, such as a hooker and a child molester.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:37 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,048,210 times
I think you should contact a lawyer. The condo docs are being ignored, and it's affecting your investment and creating an unsafe environment.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 PM

2,609 posts, read 3,161,813 times
This. A letter from the lawyer should clear everything up really quickly. I might think about the advice to simply leave, however, bc you are going to probably invite foreclosure city and bring down your own value (foreclosure resales as your comps when you try to sell) if you make all of the landlords give up their renters. The inventors will just let the units go into foreclosure. They surely are not going to pay mortgage on an empty unit. Get out now and buy in another place with a good track record...or just get a small single family home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
I think you should contact a lawyer. The condo docs are being ignored, and it's affecting your investment and creating an unsafe environment.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
This. A letter from the lawyer should clear everything up really quickly. I might think about the advice to simply leave, however, bc you are going to probably invite foreclosure city and bring down your own value (foreclosure resales as your comps when you try to sell) if you make all of the landlords give up their renters. The inventors will just let the units go into foreclosure. They surely are not going to pay mortgage on an empty unit. Get out now and buy in another place with a good track record...or just get a small single family home.
I did contact a lawyer. I can't afford the $15,000 to $20,000 fee he said it would cost to do anything.

As far as leaving, I can't do that either. Some of the condos are selling for around $15,000 to $30,000, since I paid over $90,000 9 years ago can't afford to take the loss.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 3,161,813 times
I suggest you call another lawyer bc 15K to look into this matter and send a letter is not just highway robbery, it's strong arm highway robbery...and I'm a lawyer. Find another lawyer. Better yet, call the association's lawyer and tell on them.

ETA: If all else fails, can you rent your condo and simply leave? It sounds like there are nicer places that you can rent if you cannot buy with the other condo out there under your name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbyj View Post
I did contact a lawyer. I can't afford the $15,000 to $20,000 fee he said it would cost to do anything.

As far as leaving, I can't do that either. Some of the condos are selling for around $15,000 to $30,000, since I paid over $90,000 9 years ago can't afford to take the loss.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:21 PM

You could also call the cops on the hooker. If her and some of her customers get arrested, maybe it would make some of the owners pay better attention to who they are renting to.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
You could also call the cops on the hooker. If her and some of her customers get arrested, maybe it would make some of the owners pay better attention to who they are renting to.
Thank god, she moved out. After not paying her rent for about 4 months the owner had her leave.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbyj View Post
Thank god, she moved out. After not paying her rent for about 4 months the owner had her leave.
I guess not enough talent to pay the rent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or