U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 AM

23,241 posts, read 17,442,819 times

Advertisements

Neighbor Newspapers - MARTA CEO Keith Parker talks transit improvements
Dunwoody saw a 7.3% increase over last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:36 AM

40 posts, read 44,089 times
Imagine what the ridership numbers would have been along the proposed Clifton Corridor.

People in the "inner suburbs" (Lakeside, North Decatur, Dunwoody, North Fulton, etc) overwhelmingly want to be able to train around the area. Depressing that it can't be done.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:44 AM

2,860 posts, read 2,801,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Good. I could see wanting to take the train next to Perimeter Mall if it would get me back and forth to where I needed to be. I've seen several threads here and articles elsewhere about the business developments in that area. Maybe an influx of new people more open to transit has something to do with the increase. I'm not a fan of the traffic on Peachtree-Dunwoody near those hospistals, but I actually think the area on Ashford Dunwoody is pretty cool and the train is walking distance.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:59 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,919,458 times
When I was at the GSU dorms my first two years, me and my friends would take MARTA up to Perimeter Mall all the time. Very convenient. We would go Perimeter, then back down to Lenox. Sucks those that I have to take a train to the suburbs to do my shopping. Atlantic Station can be underwhelming. Really hope in the next 10 years, shopping in the core will be better.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:07 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,512,832 times
What the Perimeter/Dunwoody area really needs is a high-occupancy passenger rail transit line (preferably a regional heavy rail transit line) along the Top End I-285 Perimeter that connects Cobb and Gwinnett counties by way of the Perimeter Center area.

An extension of the existing MARTA Red Line north to the Windward Parkway area in Alpharetta would also greatly help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of George View Post
People in the "inner suburbs" (Lakeside, North Decatur, Dunwoody, North Fulton, etc) overwhelmingly want to be able to train around the area. Depressing that it can't be done.
Providing more multimodal transportation options can be and will be done, it's just that it is going to take much time, patience and (most importantly) money to be done.

The money part is the toughest because right now there just simply is not enough money to do much more than semi-routine maintenance on the existing road network.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:11 PM

29,241 posts, read 26,177,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
What the Perimeter/Dunwoody area really needs is a high-occupancy passenger rail transit line (preferably a regional heavy rail transit line) along the Top End I-285 Perimeter that connects Cobb and Gwinnett counties by way of the Perimeter Center area.
You have to wonder why they don't build the MMTP at Perimeter. It's got direct access to the N/S MARTA line, which would make it a snap for those who have to come ITP.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:32 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,512,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You have to wonder why they don't build the MMTP at Perimeter. It's got direct access to the N/S MARTA line, which would make it a snap for those who have to come ITP.
This is a good point as the Downtown/Five Points/Gulch MMPT doesn't have to be the only MMPT built. Other MMPTs can also (and will likely) be built as well in very-important outlying locations like the Airport, Perimeter Center, Cumberland and the like.

The state already has preliminary plans to build another MMPT in the Atlantic Station area, and building one at or near the world-leading Atlanta Airport is a no-brainer.

It's just that the Five Points/Gulch MMPT is the starting point because it will be a major catalyst for the much-needed redevelopment of the South Downtown area.

An MMPT in the Perimeter Center area would likely serve as a catalyst for the redevelopment of the existing Perimeter Mall into one huge large-scale high-density mixed-use transit-oriented development with high-rise mixed-use towers (office, residential, retail, lodging, etc) on and around the site where Perimeter Mall now stands as a single-use retail development.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:52 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,801,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
When I was at the GSU dorms my first two years, me and my friends would take MARTA up to Perimeter Mall all the time. Very convenient. We would go Perimeter, then back down to Lenox. Sucks those that I have to take a train to the suburbs to do my shopping. Atlantic Station can be underwhelming. Really hope in the next 10 years, shopping in the core will be better.
I think Atlantic Station really has potential. I could see enjoying being able to walk to the movies or Publix
or a restaurant or even yoga or movies in the park. Something about it just doesn't feel real though. The clothing stores' prices are nothing to write home about lol; maybe it just needs more time to develop into a community that feels more cohesive.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:01 PM

5,253 posts, read 4,003,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Please tell me this is sarcasm? How exactly would you route the rest of the trains into it at Perimeter?

Old 04-12-2014, 04:05 PM

29,241 posts, read 26,177,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
How exactly would you route the rest of the trains into it at Perimeter?
I thought part of the problem with putting this thing downtown is that there's no way to bring passenger trains in.

However, I'm no expert on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or