U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:42 AM

708 posts, read 777,485 times

Advertisements

Georgia State University president eyes Turner Field - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Georgia State University’s president says while it’s a little early to make plans or offers for the soon-to-be-vacated Turner Field, he sees a lot of potential there for his school.
"There's a lot of land out there," GSU's Dr. Mark Becker said in an interview with Atlanta Business Chronicle broadcast partner WXIA-TV. "You could do a variety of things. You could see housing developing. Grant Park is not that far away. You might see some retail potentially in that area."
GSU now has more than 32,000 students and has an immediate need for student housing, reports WXIA’s Doug Richards. Turner Field's 55 acres has abundant room for that, he adds.
Becker also sees Turner Field as a possible fit for his school's football team.
"I believe it was the Olympic Stadium…and the Olympic Stadium had a footprint more like a football stadium than a baseball stadium," said Becker. "So I would have to believe that could happen."
The Atlanta Braves plan to leave the stadium at the end of the 2016 season when the team moves to a new stadium in Cobb County.
Becker emphasized that while GSU has been approached by developers, no serious talks have begun.
Some residents of the community surrounding Turner Field are wary of Georgia State's interest, Richards reports.
Suzanne Mitchell, who is president of the Organized Neighbors of Summerhill, told Richards she wants no part of more athletics at Turner Field.
Click here to read more and view a report by Richards that includes an interview with Becker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 10:31 AM

28,109 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
Some residents of the community surrounding Turner Field are wary of Georgia State's interest, Richards reports.

Suzanne Mitchell, who is president of the Organized Neighbors of Summerhill, told Richards she wants no part of more athletics at Turner Field.
Sounds like Summerhill doesn't want it.

But then when has the opinion of the people most directly affected ever made a difference in this town?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:47 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,474,509 times
Compared to GSU current situation where there are paying mid-five figures to use the Dome (probably will be the same for the Falcons' new digs), sinking tens of millions of dollars to convert the Ted into a football stadium seems like a really dumb idea, especially if as arjay said, Summerhill doesn't want it.

If they can move Panthersville over there in conjunction with mixed-use development, that would be huge for the neighborhood.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:14 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,118,048 times
Underground would be a better purchase in terms fo quality of campus life. Tech Square did a lot for GT.

Maybe GSU could buy up Morris Bfown for athletic fields depending on CAU's claim to land it gave MB.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:48 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

But then when has the opinion of the people most directly affected ever made a difference in this town?

You're assuming that a statement by president of a neighborhood organization represents the desires of the majority of the neighbors. I can tell you from experience that that is definitely not a safe assumption to make.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,375,674 times
Quote:

I'd really want to see if that really mean's that Summerhill doesn't want it or a self elected representative with other interests doesn't want it. I'm not saying that's the case, i really don't know, but I have to skeptical.

EDIT - apparently JPD already addressed this

Have groups from Summerhill presented their desires for the future of the area? Are they realistic?

I hate to sound like a jerk, but that land has too much potential and needs to be used for something important.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:28 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,589,949 times
Quote:

I guess Turner Field should just rot then because apparently that's what an elected community representative wants.

I don't understand why that neighborhood wouldn't want retail and mixed used...it's almost all residential. Let's hope Atlanta isn't turning into a NIMBY city like SF...seriously...

Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,288,490 times
This would be good and bad. It'd help attract business and retail, but it'd also take up land that could be used for office and mixed-use and even take them off the tax digest. I see this working if they don't use all the land, and leave some for mixed-use development and office.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:41 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,288,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't understand why that neighborhood wouldn't want retail and mixed used...it's almost all residential. Let's hope Atlanta isn't turning into a NIMBY city like SF...seriously...
I was of the opinion that Summerhill doesn't want a sports field and parking there, and theme-centric development associated with it mainly for tourists and suburbanites and not designed for the community. I don't think they have any problem with mixed-use in general. I don't see why they would, since mixed-use tends to raise land value. Summerhill is also newly established, so they are going to be fearful of most things until it has their input.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 AM

28,109 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I guess Turner Field should just rot then because apparently that's what an elected community representative wants.
Summerhill is probably just sick and tired of being kicked around by the powers on high.

Remember, the stadium wasn't located there because it was a choice spot or because the neighborhood wanted it. It was stuck there because the area had been devastated by "urban renewal" and the construction of 3 interstate highways and the massive interchanges necessary to support them. All of this served to isolate the area from downtown. So Summerhill became the path of least resistance. For the next half century the city did virtually nothing to rejuvenate the area and eventually even the Braves gave up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or