Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:57 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Do we really need two threads for this topic?
There have been THREE new threads on this OLD topic started just today, and ONE started yesterday! What the heck is up with that people?!

ATTENTION MODS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:34 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How many people drive to those places instead of walk, bike, or take transit; like some of us do in Atlanta?
People usually drive to each mixed-use development and get out and walk around. Though some people bicycle as well on nice days. The Cumberland/Smyrna area is full of bicycle paths.

Ivy Walk and West Village is arguably the only case where you can reasonably walk between two mixed-use. Though, even that's a stretch.
You can get from the Vinings mixed-use that has Social Vinings to the Vinings Village mixed-use pretty quickly as well. However, since that crosses a railroad track, I never feel too comfortable doing it. I wish they'd tunnel freight under Paces Ferry and leave only at-grade crossing for potential future Passenger Rail.

Smyrna downtown is trying to do something that hasn't really been accomplished in Cobb: Have a bunch of mixed-use developed at different times close enough to be walkable between them - a string from Belmont Hills down to Market Village over to Jonquil Village and then a ways down Concord Rd and Spring Rd. However, the current market conditions are making that tough to pull off. Case-in-point: Belmont Hills has been scaled down a bit and Branch keeps trying to scale down Jonquil Village (but where Jonquil Village is, they keep getting rejected)

Cumberland is about to have mixed-use developments that are walkable between them, ITP. Give it 5-10 years to really take shape.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:36 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There have been THREE new threads on this OLD topic started just today, and ONE started yesterday! What the heck is up with that people?!

ATTENTION MODS!
The other threads became too unfocused, and way too long. One topic per thread. It's simple netiquette.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:55 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
the problem is that they're not willing to work with the city of atlanta. cobb views themselves as competing with the city of atlanta rather than working with it. they don't want anything to do with the city of atlanta and oppose transit because they don't want "those people" coming to their new stadium. it would not be that big of a deal if the cobb leadership wasn't such a backwards and racist entity.

i don't mind the location. i recently made a thread about how the galleria office park has a suprisingly easy path to urban redevelopment, and i think the area is gorgeous with natural beauty. i just think the people calling the shots are jerks and it makes me mad that they view themselves as superior to the rest of the metro; i think it's stupid and petty.

cobb is obviously part of metro atlanta. when they realize that and decide to join the rest of us, we'll be glad to accept them.

and no, this isn't about MARTA— gwinnett county doesn't have MARTA and doesn't have the same cocky in-your-face attitude that cobb does. although i don't think it's nearly as pretty as cobb, i like gwinnett better because they're a more reasonable leadership that wants to work with the rest of the metro rather than against it.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:45 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the problem is that they're not willing to work with the city of atlanta. cobb views themselves as competing with the city of atlanta rather than working with it. they don't want anything to do with the city of atlanta and oppose transit because they don't want "those people" coming to their new stadium. it would not be that big of a deal if the cobb leadership wasn't such a backwards and racist entity.

i don't mind the location. i recently made a thread about how the galleria office park has a suprisingly easy path to urban redevelopment, and i think the area is gorgeous with natural beauty. i just think the people calling the shots are jerks and it makes me mad that they view themselves as superior to the rest of the metro; i think it's stupid and petty.

cobb is obviously part of metro atlanta. when they realize that and decide to join the rest of us, we'll be glad to accept them.

and no, this isn't about MARTA— gwinnett county doesn't have MARTA and doesn't have the same cocky in-your-face attitude that cobb does. although i don't think it's nearly as pretty as cobb, i like gwinnett better because they're a more reasonable leadership that wants to work with the rest of the metro rather than against it.
Spot on. Cobb County is acting like it stole something from Atlanta and is proud. Like they are trying to conquer CoA.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:59 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

ATTENTION MODS!
Atlanta Greg doesn't moderate posts unless it contains useful information lol

Old 04-11-2014, 09:01 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Spot on. Cobb County is acting like it stole something from Atlanta and is proud. Like they are trying to conquer CoA.
By that analogy, Atlanta wasn't acting very urban. If you leave something laying around unattended in an urban area, somebody will likely pick it up.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:59 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
By that analogy, Atlanta wasn't acting very urban. If you leave something laying around unattended in an urban area, somebody will likely pick it up.
Sorry. But your re-occurring suggestion that it is governments' role to build things around a stadium is utter BS. That is private business' job. The Braves are unhappy that the CoA tax payers would not pay them enough to stay. Cobb did. Without that money Braves would not be moving. That is it.

You want to see what government developments around a stadium look like? Look at "FanPlex". Not good.

Look at areas around the (privately built) Wrigley or Finway stadiums. None of that is government development nor tax-break driven.

Stadiums, especially government built ones are a drain on the area. Not a benefit. Summerhill was a vibrant dense neighborhood and commercial area before the stadiums came. The commercial district at the core would rival anything around any other stadium and way beyond Cobb's best hopes for the development around their new stadium.

How a Densely Populated Neighborhood Became Turner Field: A Map Essay | University Library Blog

Cobb is giving large tax-breaks (which is still bad policy, just not as bad as govt built developments) to draw development to the area. They will get it, however without the stadium they would have had just as much development if the had used the same tax-breaks. And land prices will go up in Cobb as we see businesses and homes replaced with parking lots that sit empty 280 days out of the year and tax breaks expire.

With the Braves gone, the Summerhill area will now see more development than they saw the entire 60 year span of the Braves being there.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:09 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Sorry. But your re-occurring suggestion that it is governments' role to build things around a stadium is utter BS.
That is BS and I've never suggested any such thing.

However, government does play a huge role in fostering and encouraging private development. For example, that is often cited as a key raison d'etre for huge government projects like the Beltline, the streetcar and the Falcons stadium.

At the very least, government can get out of the way and let business go at it. In the case of the Braves the city wouldn't do that.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:15 AM

749 posts, read 886,889 times
Dear God, man! Would you please stop making threads about the same thing.

We get it, you are pro Cobb and you are happy about the braves moving. Not everyone feels that way, so respect different opinions.

Oh and your assertion that the Beltline "needs" to connect to the silver comment trail...lol, I think you have that flipped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta