U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 11:34 AM

7,909 posts, read 12,166,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Yankee Stadium

Bronx NY 10451

Mets stadium is in Queens. It has an NYC address just the same as the Braves will have an ATL address.

Whether they are annexed into the City limits is merely a political decision to increase tax revenues. Has zero to do w/ their actual location. They are both much further from the hubs of NYC than our Braves will be from downtown.
Seriously, do you not understand what makes up New York City????

New York City is subdivided in to five boroughs:

Manhattan
The Bronx
Brooklyn
Queens
Staten Island

While these five areas have their own townships and zip codes, they only exist from a sub-administrative perspective. They are more similar to NPUs in an Atlanta context or wards in other cities.

The five boroughs of New York City have the same mayor and city council. What people mistakenly refer to as "New York City" is Manhattan as it (along with the Bronx) were the original boundaries of the city before the annexation of the other three boroughs took place in the 1890s.

It is one city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 11:36 AM

143 posts, read 188,275 times
Quote:
You act like Cobb is in New Jersey. The stadium is literally less than 1-2 miles from the Fulton Co line . . . and right in the middle of what is known as metro ATL.
Cobb county is basically in Alabama...so...

10,024 posts, read 9,333,229 times
So, if Atlanta were to hypothetically annex the area where the stadium will be built, would you folks be happier? I'm just trying to figure out why folks are taking this move so hard. Is it because the stadium isn't with the city limits? Because it's not in Fulton County? Because it is in Cobb County?

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I agree to disagree. :-)

Again, you can't call Providence or Worcester suburban Boston.

You can call Framingham, MA suburban Worcester or Boston. Either is fine.

You can call Putnam, CT suburban Providence or Boston. Either is fine.
No dude, this is not up for debate. You are wrong. It's not a hard concept to understand.

5,434 posts, read 3,834,175 times
Quote:
Ok, find me 60+ acres of continuous, undeveloped land in Sandy Springs/Fulton Co that the Braves can acquire . . . and a willing seller that owns that 60+ acres and won't price gouge.

More likely, the Braves will have 82+ continuous acres of undeveloped land and the possibility of owning the GPC/Napa headquarters building/parking deck at Herodian/Circle 75 as well. Again, find me that opportunity ANYWHERE in Fulton County.

Do you guys even try to think like a businessman before you come up w/ these outlandish butt-hurt theories?
The only butthurt I have (besides the foolishness of dropping this stadium into a no-rail/already congested area) is that my elected county commissioners voted to screw me and a few hundred thousand Cobb taxpayers into paying for this project by extending the Cobb park property tax bonds without a referendum:

Quote:
Will my property taxes be used to pay for this?

Currently .33 mills of your property taxes pay for the parks bonds that were issued in 1996, 2007 and 2008. The last of those bonds will be paid off in 2017 and 2018. The millage will then be shifted to the General Fund when these bonds expire to raise an equivalent amount of revenues of $8.67 million. Those monies will then be used to pay for bonds to finance stadium construction. The average amount of .33 mills per household is $26 per year and this shift of funding will not impact other government services such as police, libraries, parks and other services.
If we were able to vote on the above extension to direct the funds to the stadium project, I would've been fine with that.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
So, if Atlanta were to hypothetically annex the area where the stadium will be built, would you folks be happier? I'm just trying to figure out why folks are taking this move so hard. Is it because the stadium isn't with the city limits? Because it's not in Fulton County? Because it is in Cobb County?
Not really since that would be retro active and the original slap in the face by the Braves organization.

The offense isn't about leaving Downtown. They could have moved to any other part of the city proper, and 90% of the people upset by the move wouldn't care. It's about leaving the city itself as it exists.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:40 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,498,273 times
Btw, people who live in Manhatten call Queens and Staten Island suburban (they don't usually call Brooklyn suburban). Sure, that IS hipster attitude. However, there's also a HUGE difference between the level of development in Queens and Staten Island compared to the Levvittown bungalow neighborhoods inside much of Atlanta. Even the bungalow neighborhoods in Queens have a grid. Queens also has a well-developed subway system integrated with the rest of the city's. Atlanta has a N-S and E-W line and a small spur heading to Doraville.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:42 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,498,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
The only butthurt I have (besides the foolishness of dropping this stadium into a no-rail/already congested area) is that my elected county commissioners voted to screw me and a few hundred thousand Cobb taxpayers into paying for this project by extending the Cobb park property tax bonds without a referendum:
You can move to the more "fiscally conservative" Atlanta. Just quoting the mayor's words

I'm just being silly of course. I'm not saying to leave. I felt the need to bring up that statement since it was so ridiculous.

In all seriousnes, Cobb makes fine decisions and has historically done things when it was the right time. It is not afraid to invest. And you didn't see people crying when it added lanes to virtually every road. Yes, there was a SPLOST vote, but up until recently those things were a near certainty to pass. The Cobb commissioners did what's best for Cobb, even though they knew it was the end of their careers as Cobb Commissioners. Kudos to them. When the light rail / BRT goes in soon, it just is the right time. Sometimes you have to invest.

Btw, watch out. Now they can run amuck since they don't have to worry about whether or not they get re-elected. Other than Lisa Cupid, who voted against.

Now, one thing I have to remind about: The United States is a representative democracy. You voted for the stadium when you voted for your commissioners. They did things in a way that avoided a referendum and a quorum. The state law is partially to blame that this is even possible, but oh well (Cobb is far from the only government that pulls these tricks). You will vote your discontent if you have any, when you vote them out. But the stadium is set in stone at this point. People should focus their attention to getting rid of loopholes around the quorum and referendums in my opinion. This isn't really that much money in the grand scheme of things and it will all be paid back from more tax dollars coming from the growth in Cumberland, since it's back on the national radar again and that will bring big development.

Last edited by netdragon; 04-10-2014 at 11:50 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 11:45 AM

5,434 posts, read 3,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
You can move to the more "fiscally conservative" Atlanta. Just quoting the mayor's words

I'm just being silly of course. I felt the need to bring up that statement since it was so ridiculous.

Cobb makes fine decisions and has historically done things when it was the right time. The Cobb commissioners did what's best for Cobb, even though they knew it was the end of their careers as Cobb Commissioners. Kudos to them. When the light rail / BRT goes in soon, it just is the right time. Sometimes you have to invest.

Btw, watch out. Now they can run amuck since they don't have to worry about whether or not they get re-elected.
Then let the voters that will be paying for it decide it in a referendum.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:45 AM

10,024 posts, read 9,333,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Not really since that would be retro active and the original slap in the face by the Braves organization.

The offense isn't about leaving Downtown. They could have moved to any other part of the city proper, and 90% of the people upset by the move wouldn't care. It's about leaving the city itself as it exists.
So, you're saying it's about geopolitical boundaries. If they had moved to unincorporated FulCo, would that still have caused folks to be upset? Not challenging you here - I just want to understand the upset because I'm sorta in the camp of head scratchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or