U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:55 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,946,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
No one out here is butt hurt. The Cowboys were in Irving prior to going to Arlington. But no one out here is calling them the Arlington Cowboys. And Arlington is twice as removed from downtown Dallas as the Braves will be from downtown Atlanta.

Let's see, according to Tiki, a wholesale renaming of Major League sports is in order:

Foxborough Patriots
East Rutherford, NJ Giants and Jets
Landover, MD Redskins
Miami Gardens Dolphins
Orchard Park Bills
Santa Clara 49ers
Glendale Cardinals
Arlington Cowboys
Arlington Rangers
St Petersburg Rays
Auburn Hills Pistons
Glendale Coyotes
Sunrise Panthers
Uniondale Islanders

Oh, and it gets even more interesting with the MLS
FC Frisco
Real Sandy
Chester Union
Harrison, NJ Red Bulls
Carson Galaxy
Carson Chivas USA
Foxborough Revolution
Commerce City Rapids
Santa Clara Earthquakes
Bridgeview Fire

Good grief, I wish the Braves had stayed downtown too. But it is the COA's fault and that is where anger should go, two decades to make Summerhill a decent place to go and they sat on their collective duffs.
OK, your point is made. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that Cobb County officials are being so downright smug and arrogant about it, just as they've always been toward anything that has to do with the City of Atlanta. That's what offends me more than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 01:56 PM

143 posts, read 188,196 times
Quote:
No one out here is butt hurt. The Cowboys were in Irving prior to going to Arlington. But no one out here is calling them the Arlington Cowboys. And Arlington is twice as removed from downtown Dallas as the Braves will be from downtown Atlanta.

Let's see, according to Tiki, a wholesale renaming of Major League sports is in order:

Foxborough Patriots
East Rutherford, NJ Giants and Jets
Landover, MD Redskins
Miami Gardens Dolphins
Orchard Park Bills
Santa Clara 49ers
Glendale Cardinals
Arlington Cowboys
Arlington Rangers
St Petersburg Rays
Auburn Hills Pistons
Glendale Coyotes
Sunrise Panthers
Uniondale Islanders

Oh, and it gets even more interesting with the MLS
FC Frisco
Real Sandy
Chester Union
Harrison, NJ Red Bulls
Carson Galaxy
Carson Chivas USA
Foxborough Revolution
Commerce City Rapids
Santa Clara Earthquakes
Bridgeview Fire

Good grief, I wish the Braves had stayed downtown too. But it is the COA's fault and that is where anger should go, two decades to make Summerhill a decent place to go and they sat on their collective duffs.
Just a correction...Foxborough, MA is still in New England...so no need to rename the Patriots or Revolution. They can move about the New England area at will...but the minute they move into the midatlantic...IT'S ON!

Old 04-10-2014, 01:57 PM

10,532 posts, read 7,505,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
Now, with all of that being said, can someone give me a legitimate, non-emotional reason why the Atlanta Braves can't remain the "Atlanta" Braves in Cobb County?
There is nothing stopping them from calling themselves whatever they want. They can call themselves the New York Braves and play in Cobb if they want.

Everybody in Cobb is just going to have to get over that there are many that don't like the move and especially the Braves and Cobb's attitude about it. The Braves signed a backroom deal with Cobb worth hundreds of millions in tax handouts without informing their tax payers, the city of Atlanta (who were actively trying to get the Braves to redevelop Turner area) or even contacting other metro locations like Doraville that were interested. It was a low move by the Braves and Cobb. They choose tax-payer-handouts and their northern-suburban-fans over their history and city-fans. That is not a team I and others want to support. Why is that such an issue for people to understand? Why do we need three new threads today to re-hash all this stuff that has been said in the original Braves thread?

Old 04-10-2014, 02:01 PM

7,370 posts, read 10,062,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
The San Francisco 49ers are moving to a new stadium in Santa Clara. They are keeping "San Francisco" in their name.

The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington.

The Miami Dolphins play in Miami Gardens.

The Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park.

The New York Giants and New York Jets play in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

The Washington Redskins play in Landover, Maryland.

The Detroit Pistons play in Auburn Hills. They were in Pontiac before then.

The Phoenix Coyotes play in Glendale.

The Los Angeles Rams played in Anaheim for 14 years and kept "Los Angeles" in their name.

The Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Kings played in Inglewood prior to moving to the Staples Center. Both teams kept "Los Angeles" in their names while they were in Inglewood.

The Washington Bullets (now "Wizards") kept "Washington" in their name while they played in Landover, Maryland.

The Clevelend Cavaliers kept "Cleveland" in their name while they played in Richfield, Ohio.

Now, with all of that being said, can someone give me a legitimate, non-emotional reason why the Atlanta Braves can't remain the "Atlanta" Braves in Cobb County?
Was in the midst of typing my tome when you posted this. Thinking on the same lines....

Old 04-10-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
There is nothing stopping them from calling themselves whatever they want. They can call themselves the New York Braves and play in Cobb if they want.

Everybody in Cobb is just going to have to get over that there are many that don't like the move and especially the Braves and Cobb's attitude about it. The Braves signed a backroom deal with Cobb worth hundreds of millions in tax handouts without informing their tax payers, the city of Atlanta (who were actively trying to get the Braves to redevelop Turner area) or even contacting other metro locations like Doraville that were interested. It was a low move by the Braves and Cobb. They choose tax-payer-handouts and their northern-suburban-fans over their history and city-fans. That is not a team I and others want to support. Why is that such an issue for people to understand? Why do we need three new threads to re-hash all this stuff that has been said in the original Braves thread?
It is a silly argument in that the Braves weren't a team for just the city of Atlanta. They aren't just for the metro area. They aren't just for the state. They are THE team of the entire southeastern US. People from all over the state and from neighboring states have supported the Braves, have bought tickets, have purchased merchandise, have followed them on TV and radio for years.

Those of us who did not live in the city of Atlanta did not have a problem with them not being in our specific jurisdiction. They have and will be the team of a majority of southerners, well except for a bunch of whiners that can't take the fact that they will be 12 miles down the road. From someone that had to travel 60 miles all my youth to see a game, that seems like much ado about nothing.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
OK, your point is made. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that Cobb County officials are being so downright smug and arrogant about it, just as they've always been toward anything that has to do with the City of Atlanta. That's what offends me more than anything.
I guess I am not privy to anything smug happening outside of the aforementioned restaurant touting the Cobb County Braves. Wouldn't put a restaurant's posting as anything to get in a kerfuffle over.

That was fun, using the word kerfuffle.....

Old 04-10-2014, 02:16 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,829,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
So, if Atlanta were to hypothetically annex the area where the stadium will be built, would you folks be happier? I'm just trying to figure out why folks are taking this move so hard. Is it because the stadium isn't with the city limits? Because it's not in Fulton County? Because it is in Cobb County?
Not in an urban setting

Old 04-10-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2000 View Post
Just a correction...Foxborough, MA is still in New England...so no need to rename the Patriots or Revolution. They can move about the New England area at will...but the minute they move into the midatlantic...IT'S ON!
I didn't get into the full use of state names instead of city names, something I have never been found of. Arizona, Carolina, Tennessee etc. I did list the ones that don't play in the city limits of the major city, a la the Arizona Cardinals playing in Glendale. Could have listed Charlotte Panthers and Raleigh Hurricanes as both use the term Carolina but in different parts of the state.

The use of the term New England is definitely an oddity. The Golden State Warriors has to be one of the oddest.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:20 PM

10,532 posts, read 7,505,881 times
Quote:
It is a silly argument in that the Braves weren't a team for just the city of Atlanta. They aren't just for the metro area. They aren't just for the state. They are THE team of the entire southeastern US. People from all over the state and from neighboring states have supported the Braves, have bought tickets, have purchased merchandise, have followed them on TV and radio for years.

Those of us who did not live in the city of Atlanta did not have a problem with them not being in our specific jurisdiction. They have and will be the team of a majority of southerners, well except for a bunch of whiners that can't take the fact that they will be 12 miles down the road. From someone that had to travel 60 miles all my youth to see a game, that seems like much ado about nothing.
If the situation was reversed and the 60 year franchise of the "Cobb Braves" was relocating to the city (but they were still going to call themselves the "Cobb Braves") after signing a back room deal worth hundreds of millions of tax dollars while Cobb was trying to negotiate to extend their contact do you think there would be any fans in Cobb that would be unhappy with that situation and feel less identified with the "Cobb Braves" as their team? Its just 12 miles down the road...

Old 04-10-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
If the situation was reversed and the 60 year franchise of the "Cobb Braves" was relocating to the city (but they were still going to call themselves the "Cobb Braves") after signing a back room deal worth hundreds of millions of tax dollars while Cobb was trying to negotiate to extend their contact do you think there would be any fans in Cobb that would be unhappy with that situation and feel less identified with the "Cobb Braves" as their team? Its just 12 miles down the road...
If the term Cobb was the word to not only describe a local political jurisdiction but was also the term applied to a 5 million plus metro area, it probably wouldn't cause me to boycott them. I might not like it, but I wouldn't get in a butt hurt kerfuffle (using two great terms previously used in this thread...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or