U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:25 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,178,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The Golden State Warriors has to be one of the oddest.
Off topic, but when I was a kid I thought that was a University.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 02:29 PM

10,590 posts, read 7,530,802 times
Quote:
If the term Cobb was the word to not only describe a local political jurisdiction but was also the term applied to a 5 million plus metro area, it probably wouldn't cause me to boycott them. I might not like it, but I wouldn't get in a butt hurt kerfuffle (using two great terms previously used in this thread...).
You don't think there would be cries of "I'm never going to a Braves game now, they are moving to the Ghetto!". Oh wait, that already happens.

Also, it is the Cobb-folks that seem to be having such an issue with this. Three new threads on this old topic in one day?! Get over it. Move on.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:51 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,643,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington.

The Miami Dolphins play in Miami Gardens.

The Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park.

Quote:

Let's see, according to Tiki, a wholesale renaming of Major League sports is in order:

Foxborough Patriots
East Rutherford, NJ Giants and Jets
Landover, MD Redskins
Miami Gardens Dolphins
Orchard Park Bills
Santa Clara 49ers
Glendale Cardinals
Arlington Cowboys
Arlington Rangers
St Petersburg Rays
Auburn Hills Pistons
Glendale Coyotes
Sunrise Panthers
Uniondale Islanders

Good grief, I wish the Braves had stayed downtown too. But it is the COA's fault and that is where anger should go, two decades to make Summerhill a decent place to go and they sat on their collective duffs.
Who's angry?

I'd really like to think that Atlanta can rise above the inaccuracies and deception of these other cities. Just because other people are wrong doesn't mean we have to be. If those other cities jumped off a cliff, would you do it to?

The Atlanta Braves of Smyrna/Vinings/Cumberland Community Improvement District is sounding pretty good.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:52 PM

1,005 posts, read 874,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yes, and people (myself included) think it greatly hurts Dallas' image for both its professional football and baseball teams to play in another county, not in Dallas proper. And soon Atlanta will have the same criticism leveled on it, which is a valid one. In an era when every major city in the country has built beautiful, retro baseball stadiums in their urban cores to spark renewal and gentrification, our baseball team is abandoning the city. And that's unforgivable, no matter who you blame. For crying out loud, even BIRMINGHAM managed to build a beautiful new baseball stadium downtown and it's done wonders for the city This is an embarrassment for Atlanta.

Yes, and Atlanta already had its beautiful ballpark, a mix of retro and contemporary - Turner Field. When I went to a game with out-of-town visitors last year, they liked the stadium quite a bit. I'm not someone who was bothered by the location - it's not really the terrible area that so many people make it out to be. The main problem is that the City and Braves never got their act together to bring bars, restaurants and other development to the area to give fans entertainment options before and after games. Turner Field has always felt like an island separated from downtown. It didn't have to be that way, but unfortunately our city leaders don't have a whole lot of vision.

Btw, I live a couple miles away from the new planned Braves stadium. I still haven't quite figured out where the site is. I thought the location was somewhere off of the Circle 75 road, but I drove around there last week and couldn't find the site. Anyway, that whole area is the epitome of suburban blandness.

What a bad idea...

Last edited by stillinthesouth; 04-10-2014 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-10-2014, 03:18 PM

4,396 posts, read 3,567,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
If the situation was reversed and the 60 year franchise of the "Cobb Braves" was relocating to the city (but they were still going to call themselves the "Cobb Braves") after signing a back room deal worth hundreds of millions of tax dollars while Cobb was trying to negotiate to extend their contact do you think there would be any fans in Cobb that would be unhappy with that situation and feel less identified with the "Cobb Braves" as their team? Its just 12 miles down the road...
Very few people outside of Georgia know that Cobb even exists. Heck, I told someone from Valdosta I was from Gwinnett and she asked, "Where?" That's a ridiculous comparison. Cobb County is far from the namesake of the metro area. It's the Atlanta metropolitan region. Atlanta is the hub city but the only reason the city got the team was because of the population of the metro area supplements those who actually live in Atlanta. The Atlanta part of the Atlanta Braves merely serves as an identifier for the region. Cobb County would never have been rewarded its own team just because it's Cobb County but rather for being part of the Atlanta MSA. I understand disliking the whole issue of how the deals were made but saying one can no longer "identify" with the team because they are outside of city limits is ridiculous.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:37 PM

5,443 posts, read 3,842,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post

Btw, I live a couple miles away from the new planned Braves stadium. I still haven't quite figured out where the site is. I thought the location was somewhere off of the Circle 75 road, but I drove around there last week and couldn't find the site. Anyway, that whole area is the epitome of suburban blandness.

What a bad idea...
Site is bound by Circle 75, Cobb Parkway, and Windy Ridge Parkway

Link to Google Maps

Old 04-10-2014, 04:37 PM

29,405 posts, read 26,357,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
There is something very different about a team that is/was a big part of the fabric of the city leaving their "roots" and a corporation's mailing address.
tiki, if the Braves were part of the "fabric of the city," how come the city didn't get cracking and make some effort to keep them? City government pulled out all the stops to placate the Falcons and absolutely would not rest until they were satisfied.

The Braves? "Eh, we'll probably get back to them at some point. They've been sitting down there 50 years so they wait."

Frankly, I think it's for the best. How can a city of 420,000 -- 100,000 of whom are below the poverty line -- carry the entire pro sports load for a region of six million? We don't even have money to operate our parks, fix our potholes, or put down sidewalks.

Let's spread this burden around a little to folks who can afford it better than we can.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:55 PM

23,447 posts, read 17,594,316 times
Just because the stadium will have an Atlanta postal code does not make it IN Atlanta.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,694,377 times
Still talking about this?

Pathetic.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:43 PM

3,615 posts, read 6,503,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Well, going by your definition I would call them the Marietta Braves. Since Smyrna is a suburb of Marietta.
Smyrna is really a suburb of Cumberland / Galleria, if it's a suburb of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or