Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:31 AM

566 posts, read 888,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is not a criminal haven. That area is near the AUC and most of the people over there walking around near the Wal-Mart and the businesses on MLK are college students, not criminals. Personally I feel that people think it is unsafe because there are low income black people who live in the area and people in general are afraid of a large amount of low income black people. But the demographics of the area is changing and as stated most of the people on the street are college students and not even low income...
That was my suspicion, I went out there and it seemed to be an economically depressed, but a pretty well adjusted community. And I understand when people make sweeping generalizations because I live in one of those areas that people always say "its dangerous" its "horrible", but in reality its just "black".

I need to spend some more time out there to get a better vibe, but for the most part it seems decent. But then I had a friend of mine suggest I watch "Snow on the Bluff". I'm not going to lie, given that it was filmed so recently, It was a little unnerving lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 12:24 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
That was my suspicion, I went out there and it seemed to be an economically depressed, but a pretty well adjusted community. And I understand when people make sweeping generalizations because I live in one of those areas that people always say "its dangerous" its "horrible", but in reality its just "black".

I need to spend some more time out there to get a better vibe, but for the most part it seems decent. But then I had a friend of mine suggest I watch "Snow on the Bluff". I'm not going to lie, given that it was filmed so recently, It was a little unnerving lol
the area filmed in 'snow on the bluff' is north of simpson street in english avenue.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the area filmed in 'snow on the bluff' is north of simpson street in english avenue.
I know. Which is a hop and a skip away from the AUC.. literally like a couple of blocks.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:01 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
I know. Which is a hop and a skip away from the AUC.. literally like a couple of blocks.
well, it's a good half mile but i get your concern. things change by the block in a city; for example a lot of folks wouldn't be caught dead on the 'rough' part of boulevard, but a half mile away on monroe you've got million dollar houses.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:41 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
Not necessary. You do not need to insult people or groups of people to make a point (removed). I have lived in the gated townhome community since 2007 (purchased a Brock built home here) and have had no issues. Me and my neighborhoods love this area and with Walmart next door and the ashby train station next door it's über convenient. I walk to Washington Park Tennis Center and Natatorium daily for exercise and swimming and the area is very quiet. The townhomes have been selling out (one phase left with about 10 homes left under construction) and should provide a good model of the type of home and price range others would buy in this area if a company is looking to build in this area. I lived in old 4th ward for years in Studioplex still have my condo there and like anywhere in Atlanta things change from block to block. The area around the historic westside village which is the development around ashby and near the Atlanta university center is fined I'm just interested to see what's next for the area. Tons if potential and I'm glad to see it's on the rise.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-13-2014 at 09:05 PM..

Old 04-13-2014, 11:01 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:

Please note Snow on tha Bluff is a fictional movie. People seem to think it is some recent documentary when it is not. Also, the majority of the portions that are filmed in the movie are in Vine City, which is funny to me that people always say "the bluff" is English Avenue. The first scene of the movie is on Sunset Ave in Vine City. The apartment complex that the main character and his "associates" are talking outside of for the majority of the movie is on James P. Brawley in Vine City. His girlfriend and that house is on Jones Ave., in English Avenue and actually that street is one of the nicer looking ones in English Avenue and is the street where state Rep Able Mable lives. And she has lived there her whole life without being killed lol.

I think people put too much into that movie. It is not about the current time period but based upon the life of the main character. He is my age - in his 30s so his hey day was in the 90s back when the neighborhood was the drug and prostitution mall, which is what I called it when I first moved here and lived on campus at CAU. We took a drive up here because I had heard about it an wanted to see what it was like. And it was truly crazy!!!! It is not like that now. Before we bought our house over here, I came back and was shocked at how much better the area was versus back in the 90s. I have also heard Snow doesn't live over here anymore. I haven't seem him in years, but I don't look for him but other guys who I know who knew of him and spoke to him say he isn't around here anymore.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:47 PM

Thank you everyone for the insight. I really appreciate it! I know a lot of times places are knocked simply because of economics or demographics, but Its good to hear the opinions of those who live there everyday.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
I live in Vine City.Just 3 blocks from the Wal_Mart.
I have lived here for 8 years.

I rent to many stidents and professionals from every country you can imagine.

They and I have walked late at night from the MARTA station.No one has had any problems other than being approached by pan handlers.

I don't feel unsafe BUT I am cautious.I have security cameras and two dogs.

No car break-ins either.

I have had parties with cars lined up and down the street.No problems except once in 8years because a guest parked on the opposite end of the street with no houses nearby and left shopping bags on the car seat next to her purse in plain sight at 3am in the morning.That was just dumb.Not because of the neighborhood.Just not something you do anywhere in the city.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:00 PM

31 posts, read 70,958 times
If you carry a large cross-bow on your back, it is perfectly safe.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
I went to Westside Village today and it was wonderful. I never realized how urban the area was. I'm surprised it's not growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta