Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:08 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, all urban environments have to start somewhere.
Well, if urban development started sprouting up around Avalon, then I'd changed my position on the matter, but to me, it's Atlantic Station, only now it's 20 miles away from the urban core and has no nearby transit access(which means everyone must drive to the development which is against urbanity and walkability.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 08:12 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Well, if urban development started sprouting up around Avalon, then I'd changed my position on the matter, but to me, it's Atlantic Station, only now it's 20 miles away from the urban core and has no nearby transit access(which means everyone must drive to the development which is against urbanity and walkability.).
Doesn't almost everyone drive to Atlantic station? They've got one of the most humongous parking garages I've ever seen.

I realize that "the urban core" is a mantra among some, but we have to take into account that the vast majority of folks live, work and shop elsewhere. Why not make those areas better, too?

Old 04-12-2014, 08:24 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,268 times
I'd like to believe that since Alpharetta is already listed on their site separately from Atlanta, this is happening within the city limits or at least the mailing area. Cumberland wouldn't be too exciting; the problem I have with all their other stores is that not one of them is really friendly to non-drivers, a walk through the Lenox Square parking lot is as good as it gets.

(On the side topic, I think developments like Avalon are even good in Alpharetta for the reasons arjay stated; these towns have already been established so why not have them embrace mixed use in their own way, even if it's nascent. Atlanta will be fine either way.)

Old 04-12-2014, 09:41 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,997 times
i live a mile away from avalon and i can't say i'm terribly excited. the apartments are supposed to be $4000 a month; first of all i can't imagine who would pay that kind of money to live in a phony "urbanist" community like that, and second of all, i don't think i'd like to meet anyone who would.

for anyone who is familiar with the alpharetta area, this is not in the 'walkable' area of alpharetta. it's right off of a six-lane state highway and is purposely being built to be inaccessible to anyone arriving by anything but a car. it's the 21st century version of segregation.

what's getting a lot less attention is the fact that downtown alpharetta is actually adding on quite a bit to their existing historic downtown area with a development that actually will be walkable.

the problem here is getting a lot of the suburbanites and old-timers to get used to developments that include apartments and retail together. when they think of 'apartments', they automatically think of the traffic-inducing, car-oriented, and typically very low income high density developments that drive real estate values down and don't do anything to contribute to the surrounding community.

this is why downtown alpharetta is leaving a series of lots open for future development on a street grid, rather than implementing some suburban looking nonsense that will please the naysayers.

for better or for worse, i think that avalon will at least show the people who are down on apartments that apartments can work in an urban setting and contribute to the community. but i don't really think avalon as it is can be called an urbanist development since it's completely inaccessible to pedestrians and cyclists.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:43 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Doesn't almost everyone drive to Atlantic station? They've got one of the most humongous parking garages I've ever seen.

I realize that "the urban core" is a mantra among some, but we have to take into account that the vast majority of folks live, work and shop elsewhere. Why not make those areas better, too?
I never said the development shouldn't happen, but it won't be on my personal bucket list for things to see in the forseeable future.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:59 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,093 times
Urban and New Urbanism are two different things. Seaside is not part of a larger urban core but it is New Urbanism.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:14 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
... the problem I have with all their other stores is that not one of them is really friendly to non-drivers, a walk through the Lenox Square parking lot is as good as it gets.
Can't that be avoided by taking the train to Lenox? Or to Perimeter?

Old 04-13-2014, 07:41 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,842 times
I have heard that there were talks about an Apple store on the Midtown Mile somewhere. This could be it.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:58 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
"We will be opening a new Apple Store in Atlanta, Georgia. We are currently accepting applications for all open positions."

Posted to Craigslist just yesterday: Apple Retail - Atlanta, GA

Atlanta just popped up on the Apple Retail jobs site, too. Apple - Jobs at Apple - Retail (us)

No information on where, but I hope it's in town, on the east side preferably.
I hope it's intown as well. PCM would be the perfect location, with Midtown Mile being a close second. Wherever they open intown, I hope it includes an auditorium, like the Apple store on Prince Street in Soho. Aside from the classes held there, it became a pretty cool in-store and event space.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:26 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,333 times
The Midtown Mile would be perfect for an Apple Store. I really hope they build it at the 12th and Midtown development. Would be the perfect fit for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta